Subject: "We don't see your command buffer" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3151
Show all folders

YanorethSat 06-Dec-03 12:30 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
896 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3191, "We don't see your command buffer"

The way the buffering system works is that we take the first command from you, then we don't even read the next command pending (if any) until your character can execute it. So there's currently no way for the mud to know how much you've filled your command buffer, or even if you have a command waiting. Your "buffer" is all on your end, which is why dropping link can clear it so conveniently.

Reading in 10 or 20 commands at a time to create a buffer on the mud's end would be really irritating for spam walkers, and it would definitely increase considerably the amount of memory and processing command buffering takes.

I think the problem some folks are encountering when their whole ISP goes out on them is that the ISP isn't making a clean break for us. In other words, you haven't appeared to drop link until you actually try to reconnect. That could be a few minutes later, during which you were just sitting idle but not actually disconnected.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicThe new anti-reconnection code [View all] , Abthalok, Thu 04-Dec-03 05:49 PM
Reply I agree, and I think...TXT, Jelomar, 04-Dec-03 06:43 PM, #1
     Reply Not going to happen., Valguarnera, 04-Dec-03 10:10 PM, #2
          Reply Yo., Dallevian, 04-Dec-03 10:35 PM, #3
          Reply Agreed., Krivohan, 04-Dec-03 11:03 PM, #4
          Reply RE: Yo., Zulghinlour, 05-Dec-03 03:30 AM, #5
               Reply RE: Yo., DemonLlama, 05-Dec-03 09:15 AM, #6
               Reply We don't see your command buffer, Yanoreth, 06-Dec-03 12:30 PM #9
                    Reply RE: We don't see your command buffer, Sailatinu, 06-Dec-03 10:47 PM, #10
                    Reply Question about the reconnect code:, Isildur, 06-Dec-03 11:38 PM, #11
               Reply An idea., Dallevian, 05-Dec-03 03:19 PM, #7
          Reply I think he meant soda pop nt, dwimmerling, 05-Dec-03 04:02 PM, #8
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3151 Previous topic | Next topic