Subject: "RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #15548
Show all folders

Farnsworth (Guest)Wed 19-Feb-03 06:13 PM

#15553, "RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi"

No, not a rage delete. I got to the point where I had done everything I had planned to with this character. I wanted to see what Intronan’s religion was like, and what interacting with him in a non-rager way was would be like. I think I did that as much as I could, certainly in an ic way. Though our times were not often the same so I think I got less immteraction from him than I would have otherwise (not faulting you, Intronan, you were great in every way!).

I wanted to see what the new Tribunals were like, and see if I could rise in the ranks. I think I did that as much as I could, going from magistrate to provincial to provost to vindicator. Along the way I got to interact with some great people, both mortal and immortal, and had a lot of fun.

I wanted to see Hell, even though it was closed. I did that, though not as much as I could I suppose, but still. I don’t know if anyone else has ever done what I did, Scara, in just praying for you and asking for you to open the gates for me and a party of my choosing, but I appreciate your not only not outright slaying me then and there but actually letting us go. It was in some ways even harder to do it than it was to become Vindicator or Voice, what with all the deletions along the way.

I wanted to hero a shaman. I did that. A shaman can be very powerful but also has some serious drawbacks. Which I suppose is exactly how game balance works.

I wanted to play an evil. I was, I think, quite the asshole to some. So I think I did that. I was not a real deep dark evil take over the world murder everyone kind of evil, but more the civilized “I don’t think I’m evil” kind of guy. Farnsworth cared for what he cared for and if you didn’t, ##### you. If you crossed him, ##### you. If you couldn’t be at least civilized, ##### you.

So, once I had accomplished all these things (the last was the hell trip last week) I began to think about what the hell was going to keep me occupied for the next two hundred hours. And other than the sylvan war, which was ok, I couldn’t think of anything. Sure, I figure there would be the next round of questy things or some more war or maybe going back to Hell, if Scara would let, but for the most part it would be a lot of sitting in town watching. Dying now for the first in a long long time just seemed to be a good time to call it quits for Farnsworth.

Let’s talk about Tribunal and Farnsworth. Farnsworth never, not even once, cheated or looked the other way or did anything corrupt at all. Never. I don’t care what any of you say, you’re just wrong or not in possession of all the facts. There was only one time when I was in fact even tempted, and while I considered not flagging the person at that time (Aginal, in hamsah, against like five maran/sylvan people) another tribunal there flagged him and made it no longer a problem for me.

What I think a lot of you don’t understand is that when you are a magistrate you pretty much have to actually hear the yell to flag. If I step out of the city – into the copeham in, onto the outskirts, into the Spire, into the graveyard, the sewers, the docks, whatever – then I don’t hear a yell. I can step out for just two seconds, and you can get attacked, then I come back in and you do a “where” and see me and then you start yelling about why I didn’t flag the person, and it doesn’t matter. I was outside when it happened and didn’t hear it. Until you play a tribunal you just don’t know what it’s like. And once you start yelling at me to tell me to flag someone, for a crime I did not witness or hear, what should I do? Just accept your word for it that you were attacked? Of course not. But most people just walk around with that sense of moral indignation that their attacker didn’t get flagged and harbor the anger to me, not the attacker.

Yes, sometimes there is enough evidence to flag without actually hearing the yell or seeing the crime. But not often. And it’s a judgment call. I am sure there are some people out there who if they were playing a tribunal might have flagged some people that I did not, or not flagged some people that I did. But that’s how it works. And only in situations without real direct solid proof. For those there wasn’t really ever any discussion.

Also regarding Tribunal, I was always amazed at how many people would come asking me for help, aid, food, whatever. I was, for all intents and purposes, the mortal embodiment of the dark side of the spire. What are you people thinking? Usually I’d either ignore them, or tell them to welcome death, not fight it (I was a Raven, remember?) or tell them to find a dawnite who might care, because I sure didn’t. But inside, the player was just laughing.

Imms.

Intronan. What to say? Very cool. And I mean that in the temperature way as much as the slang way. Very icy. Very dangerous. And a whole lotta fun to have as my patron. I think I “got” most of if not all the Raven religion, and I hope I didn’t take too many liberties with your beliefs. As a player I have always wondered why people who play shaman never seem to feel directly tied to their god. From the start I wanted to be a shaman of Intronan, of the Raven. I think I was, though more in the first ¾ of life. I got the feeling that the last fifty or so hours I was more vindicator shaman who happened to be Intronan’s follower than the other way around. But when we spoke – rare as it was – you seemed happy enough. Either way though I almost always had it as a conscious thought to consider what a Raven would do in any situation. I hope you liked having me as much as I liked having you.

Bria. I said it elsewhere but I’ll say it again. You get a bad rap. You supported me through thick and thin, through what I am sure were many notes or prays about how awful I was behaving or failing in my duty. You listened when I had suggestions or concerns (I still think you should change the rule that we spoke of the other night, by the way, even though I am no longer a Tribunal. I did mean it when I said I wasn’t just thinking as a tribunal) and you almost always acted on it promptly. Few people can say that about their cabal imm, at least in my experience. I think you do an excellent job of letting the cabal run itself for the most part, and not enforcing your own roleplay’s desire for a more ‘lightwalking’ or ‘touchy feely’ type form of justice. Especially for the months you were alone after Astein but before Nezraya. (Who I never saw or spoke to even once after being a Vindicator. Oh well.) Anyway, you have my respect and I think you do a fine job.

Kastellyn. You get a mention because when I was level 44 or something I was the very first mortal to come to the north of thera and see you come back. If you remember I fought the big baddie alongside the other ragers, eventually getting you back. I am not sure but I might be the only non-villager or villager applicant who ever got bandages from a defender. I thought it was cool that you told them to do that and to help me. Not much more to say, just a good solid roleplay experience that I never forgot.

Scarabaeus. Thanks. That’s all I can say. All the other stuff about how great hell is and all that has been said before. So, just, thanks, a lot.

Well, I started to write farewells to mortals but there were over 35 that I wrote down on a little list of people I had more than a basic interaction with, and to be honest I just don’t feel like typing all of that at one time.

Sooooooo….. if it’s alright with all of you (and you don’t really have a choice ) I am hoping anyone who cares will post and I promise now that I will respond with my memories and thoughts (good or bad). I had some absolutely great interactions and relationships with people and I hope some of you enjoyed spending time talking or interacting with me.

Just because I know they will be hurt if I don’t, I will mention one or two who played particularly large parts in Farnsworth’s life: Noldruk, Futaleufu, Anith, Aginal, Trajeona, Merzo, Thornacrull, and lately of course the sylvans. Anyway, I hope to hear from all of you here and I will surely write individually once you do.

Lastly…. I know there is going to be a hue and outcry once the next information is read. I tell you now that I was scrupulous about not sharing information between characters. In fact there were two times that stand out in my mind where I actually hurt myself even though I knew it would work out differently because of the other character’s experience. So before any of you complain, no, I didn’t switch or log one off to bring on the other because of the timing of things or the enemies or friends. I am guessing I’ll still get a lot of flack for it, no matter what I say, but believe me when I say neither character ever benefited from the existence of the other.

Good luck to all of you and thanks again.

Loborguz
Alghorval
Martinian
Borglin
Darmok
Farnsworth

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT Topic(DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi [View all] , Death_Angel, Wed 19-Feb-03 06:12 PM
Reply Coumadin, Farnsworth...enough (n/t), Zulghinlour, 21-Feb-03 12:48 AM, #28
Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, thedrunkard, 19-Feb-03 09:00 PM, #9
Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Farnsworth (Guest), 21-Feb-03 11:28 AM, #30
     Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, thedrunkard, 22-Feb-03 10:16 PM, #42
Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Farnsworth (Guest), 19-Feb-03 06:13 PM #1
     Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Jesrelres (Guest), 19-Feb-03 06:29 PM, #2
     Reply Well well..., Dugruain, 19-Feb-03 06:43 PM, #3
     Reply I'm sure you don't remember me., Yuber (Guest), 19-Feb-03 06:46 PM, #4
     Reply Damn i hated you as a player, Anxor (Guest), 19-Feb-03 07:14 PM, #5
     Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Lightmage, 19-Feb-03 07:15 PM, #6
     Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Farnsworth (Guest), 21-Feb-03 11:31 AM, #31
     Reply Fantastic Job, Intronan, 19-Feb-03 07:36 PM, #7
     Reply Quick things I forgot, Farnsworth (Guest), 19-Feb-03 08:44 PM, #8
     Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Krivohan, 19-Feb-03 09:31 PM, #10
     Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Queesha (Guest), 19-Feb-03 09:56 PM, #11
     Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Bria, 19-Feb-03 10:29 PM, #12
     Reply Robert and Thomas, Almaola (Guest), 24-Feb-03 12:30 AM, #44
     Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, adrigon (Guest), 24-Feb-03 08:09 AM, #45
     Reply Hey man, well done, Yaofhil, 19-Feb-03 10:47 PM, #13
     Reply RE: Hey man, well done, Farnsworth (Guest), 21-Feb-03 11:34 AM, #32
     Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, BattleCharmed, 19-Feb-03 11:30 PM, #14
     Reply Damn, Graatch still kicking around? (n/t), Gabe, 19-Feb-03 11:37 PM, #15
     Reply Damn, you were Darmok too, and Loborguz, damn., Gre (Guest), 20-Feb-03 12:51 AM, #16
     Reply RE: Damn, you were Darmok too, and Loborguz, damn., Farnsworth (Guest), 21-Feb-03 11:40 AM, #33
     Reply Goodbye, Mr. Jones, Alnallander, 20-Feb-03 01:06 AM, #17
     Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Noldruk, 20-Feb-03 02:05 AM, #18
     Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Farnsworth (Guest), 21-Feb-03 11:43 AM, #34
     Reply Was there any reasoning behind...., curious (Guest), 20-Feb-03 02:20 AM, #19
     Reply RE: Was there any reasoning behind...., Farnsworth (Guest), 21-Feb-03 11:44 AM, #35
          Reply That was funny, Anith (Guest), 21-Feb-03 11:48 AM, #37
               Reply RE: That was funny, Enbuergo, 21-Feb-03 12:04 PM, #39
     Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Arehanah (Guest), 20-Feb-03 02:36 AM, #20
     Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Farnsworth (Guest), 21-Feb-03 11:46 AM, #36
          Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Arehanah (Guest), 21-Feb-03 11:50 AM, #38
     Reply A question, and a really long sentence, Abthalok (Guest), 20-Feb-03 02:55 AM, #21
     Reply Good job, Uelveyye, 20-Feb-03 09:51 AM, #22
     Reply Few things, Ulthur, 20-Feb-03 10:07 AM, #23
     Reply RE: Few things, Farnsworth (Guest), 24-Feb-03 12:09 AM, #43
          Reply On laws. (longish), Ulthur, 24-Feb-03 09:14 AM, #46
               Reply You're taking an overly pessimistic view of a Wanted fl..., Young Nastyman, 24-Feb-03 09:46 AM, #47
     Reply Well done, Uncle Bob, 20-Feb-03 10:45 AM, #24
     Reply RE: Well done, Farnsworth (Guest), 02-Mar-03 01:07 AM, #51
     Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Lobengula, 20-Feb-03 02:12 PM, #25
     Reply RE: Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindicator, Suibhne (Guest), 20-Feb-03 04:43 PM, #26
     Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Jhyrbian, 20-Feb-03 05:04 PM, #27
     Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Karel, 21-Feb-03 01:23 AM, #29
     Reply Grudging respect, Anonymous (Guest), 22-Feb-03 07:53 AM, #40
     Reply semi-random comment, shokai, 22-Feb-03 03:27 PM, #41
     Reply RE: semi-random comment, Farnsworth (Guest), 24-Feb-03 09:13 PM, #48
     Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Niryaza, 24-Feb-03 10:01 PM, #49
          Reply RE: (DEL) Farnsworth Jones, Voice of the Raven, Vindi, Farnsworth (Guest), 24-Feb-03 10:16 PM, #50
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #15548 Previous topic | Next topic