Go back to previous topic
Forum Name History & Lore
Topic subjectJuly Role Contest
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=330
330, July Role Contest
Posted by Dalteric on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
For all those regular users of the Role Command, here is another chance
for you to show off your chops. To take part, just send a note to me,
Dalteric, from your character with the role and a subject of Role Contest
Entrant. From there, sit back and wait for it to be reviewed and winners
to be announced.

The cutoff point for submitting is 8:00 am system time, on Monday July 25th.

As with the last role contest, we'll be reviewing only those entries made
before the timestamp of this note. You can add to your role regularly, but
we'll not consider those entries as part of the contest. We'll be looking
for a winner and a duo of runner ups, but there might well be some honorable
mentions, depending on what all is out there.

Remember, to take part, send a note to me, and good luck!
335, July Role Contest Winners
This contest has a lot of great roles, and deciding on winners was not easy. While I will post comments on the 12 finalists in a few days, for now I just want to let everyone know whos who in the roles (so that you can all look for them on the Premium Battlefield one day).

#1 Rhaguel, Gnome Shapeshifter(24): Overalll Winner, Most Enjoyable Read
#2 Aputo, Svirfnebli Warrior(40): Best Background Story
#3 Alyre, Human Druid(48): Best Inner-Role Creation
#4 Rksagge, Fire Giant Anti-Paladin(24): Best Fight Scene
#4 Sayuri, Human Assassin(11): Best Newbie Short Story
#4 Srinlete, Half-Drow Healer(51): Best Written Role

Rewards for the above will follow, as well as comments. Thanks to everyone who participated!
336, Semi-Finalists & Finalists Comments
Roles are a hard thing to judge. Occasionally one seems too long, then another the same length too short. I was looking for unique concepts that showed a lot of thought, that would lead to some interesting rp. I then looked for how well written--not grammar, but how did it flow, evoke imagery, and finally consistency.

I'm going to provide comments on each of the twelve semi-finalists. These are in the order I reviewed them, and not in their ranking. These are rough comments, basically waht I used to decide. Enjoy, and have fun.

Rhaguel
Interesting! Builds a story line in a humorous fashion, explains the character's past & future, and really makes you want to rp with him. I laughed, I cried, he won.

Sayuri
Great start to a role, only two entries but first gives a lot of background and fleshes out a different culture, then followed up by explanations to the role and what it means in terms of application.

Dorn
Fair length, updated, quality role. Nothing overly unique but a very solid effort, both easy to read and follow.

Alven
Consistent role, written in a diary style. Good to read, and explains a lot of what he's gone through. Conjured up biblical imagery, good for a paladin.

Elena
Good overall. Long, detailed, helps you like the character, and you understand the conjuration attraction. Not bad at all, really hope she continues to add.

Rksagge
Good backstory. Explains FG history, and how he became an AP, really quick read despite the length. Excellent battle, blow by blow you're in the "ring".

Mizzarah
Unique anti-religion role. It explains a lot of what this character believes, but doesn't go into any real detail about the character or how they developed the views, which is a strike against.

Szyrivlyrha
Unique backstory, with a myster. Has some good development, and then is carried through with regular updates.

Alyre
Very strong opening. Role is updated to reflect thoughts and interests as they change. Creative and well thought out, the whole created (potentially imaginary) deity is just good stuff. Took the time to lay out the views of the new god.

Srinlete
Not overly unique, but very well written and engrossing. Explains a lot and reflects well upon the solid character. Brings an eerie vibe, just to the text.

Shialee
A vey long single entry. Interesting, explains a lot, and while not unique, does convey a lot of useful information--I very much understand this character, although it took a lot of reading to get there.

Aputo
Unique stone-farming. Mixes idea and background fairly well. Enjoyable, especially with the mix of background and then explanation of what all stone farming requires.
334, July Role Contest Closed, Preliminary Fun Facts
The time for entrants closed this morning.  The contest had 48
people enter, all shapes and sizes.  Of these 48, 2 have been
excluded as their characters deleted immediately after
entering, and 2 have been excluded because they had no role
entries prior to the timestamp required.

Of the remaining 44, 12 have moved on to the semi-finals for
more close examination and judgment.  Thanks to all those that
participated, and look for more news tomorrow.

For now, Frequencies of responses:

Frequency
Class	      Total
a-p	        1
assassin       2
bard	        2
conjurer       2
druid	        3
healer	        2
necro	        4
paladin	        5
ranger	        2