Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectRespectfully disagree
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=72895&mesg_id=72919
72919, Respectfully disagree
Posted by Old player on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Carrion fields by definition is a pk mud and as such there are only 2 cabals based outside of this. That being Acolytes (almost said dawn) and Heralds. And honestly this has been a slippery slope since it was started a while back.

Back in the end of the second age and beginning of the third (golden age by many standards) there was 0 hard wired pk requirements to get into a cabal. And the only one at the time that required a kill was battle ragers. In the form often of "bring me a mage body part" which proved to be ####ing tricky sometimes as it would decay before you could get it to the person. During this time, you had a greater pool of characters to fill your cabals. Sometimes there would be hoops to jump through as in quest, or interviews with X amount of veterans/elders of the cabal, bla bla bla...but it lead actually to a more in depth development of the character and involement with other guild members. Yes, some would say sometimes it was easy to get in, however it was also easy to get booted out.

Fortress is an interesting example of this weird trend. It use to be squires were not required to have an evil kill. Cause well, they are squires. They are learning and yes they want to hunt and kill evil. Easy in, cause well you only had a couple of powers which really were not that great. HOWEVER it gave you a home, a family and people to converse with and interact with via CB. It opened up at all ranks the ability to raid/counter raid/defend as a young char. You will have some Fortress members who down right suck but they have the heart to throw themselves at it over and over and that was more of the fighting spirit. Remember...they are A+ morons. However now...they are required to hunt out and kill that evil pk to even be allowed to join in some of the fun. For some...it may be easy. Either in skill, luck, or really because they coordinate with a friend to get a kill on a character. (I've heard a LOT of this happening from many who still play..evil, mage, good, etc) If you are worried about an influx, you already have a check in place, as they will never reach Maran if they fail to pk evil.

Does the pk requirement break the cabal system? No. However, does it bring a fun factor to the game? This too is no. Opening it up would boost numbers if only to the casual players. I have came back now and then and tried to play little bits at a time. I've gone hours with seeing only a handful of people TOTAL..little less what I have to kill and then more so if even in my range. And when I DID find them, they are decked to hell :p

Just a little food for thought that would perhaps bring more fun to the game. When it is harder to find and get requirements from a player base of 10-15 on avg.