Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectAnti-observation system?
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=50951
50951, Anti-observation system?
Posted by Aereglen on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Today a friend of mine who does not play CF anymore sent me what looks like a helpfile from carrionfields. It states that if you attempt to look at something in a room description that isn't there enough times, you will get an invisible timer that makes it so you won't get any observation points for the duration of that timer. Please tell me this isn't true, and if it is, please remove it.
50953, RE: Anti-observation system?
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
True. The threshold is high enough that it only really catches bots.

If you don't have a script that reads a room description and tries to look at literally every word in that description you don't need to worry about it.
50954, I hope it's very high.
Posted by Tsunami on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Because I do that trying to look at some #### I can't look at all the time. That number better be like 50.
50955, Yeah...
Posted by Valkenar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I pretty routinely look at all of the reasonable (e.g. not "in" "on" "or"etc) words, including verbs. I've seen cases where unusual parts of speech lead to something so now I leave no stone unturned. I've probably been mistaken for a bot.

What I should probably do is store the successes somewhere for later recall. As it is, I usually forget which random word was something, so I just try them all.
50959, That's why it concerns me.
When I'm exploring a new area I leave, as you said, no stone unturned. ALL THE STONES ARE TURNED! So I worry that it might think I'm actually a bot. I've easily examined 20+ different words in under a minute, so I hope the threshhold is high.
51234, A question about a recent experience
Posted by Looker on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>True. The threshold is high enough that it only really
>catches bots.
>

I just went through That-Acacia looking at all the paintings, murals, tapestries, carpets, desks, tables, windows and mobs in every room and only got 500 observation points. Which seems low compared to other places with fewer rooms/things to look at. And it was my first time through and I typed out all the words each time (exa tapestries, etc..) -- no aliases, bots or the like. However, I did look at each of those things in each successive room.

Did I get caught by the threshold? or is there just that few observations points to be had there?

51237, 500 is max for that place
Posted by KaguMaru on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't even bother looking at the extras now, just a few of the mobs
51238, Was it nerfed?
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Because I certainly remember getting more.
51236, RE: A question about a recent experience
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't think there's that much to be had there.

I may be wrong.
51240, Thanks, just seemed odd
Posted by Looker on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
After all, each of the rooms has a different mural, window, etc.. to look at compared to say the Coral Palace which has very little to look at yet I got more than 3 times as much observation experience in the Coral Palace, if memory serves correctly, and I didn't even go all the way through it - not even enough to get any exploration points (if there are any there).

But thanks to all for the feedback, I was just curious. Next time I won't spend the time/typing looking at everything there.
50952, Troll. Your 'friend' gives more misinformation than good information. n/t
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
gr
50958, Really? Seems like you're the troll.
See Daevryn's post.