Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectSwashbuckler Edge
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=48397
48397, Swashbuckler Edge
Posted by Aearonor on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Would it be possible to get some details of the Swashbuckler edge for bards?

Here is what I think it does (which may or may not be true).

--> Swashbuckler edge performs (i) evade AND (ii) dodge checks based on a person's charisma instead of dexterity. So a human with 20 dex / 23 charisma and the Swashbuckler edge will evade AND dodge as if such human had 23 dex.

--> With respect to -dex maledictions, it performs a "riddle lite" effect. To use Zulg's example - -10 dex would feel like -6 dex.

Is this right? Did I miss any other effects?

Thank you in advance.

48402, RE: Swashbuckler Edge
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Would it be possible to get some details of the Swashbuckler
>edge for bards?
>
>Here is what I think it does (which may or may not be true).
>
>
>--> Swashbuckler edge performs (i) evade AND (ii) dodge
>checks based on a person's charisma instead of dexterity. So
>a human with 20 dex / 23 charisma and the Swashbuckler edge
>will evade AND dodge as if such human had 23 dex.

Pretty much.

>--> With respect to -dex maledictions, it performs a "riddle
>lite" effect. To use Zulg's example - -10 dex would feel like
>-6 dex.

Nope. Dropping your dex is as effective in killing dodge/evade as it ever is.

It's a pretty significant boost when dex (or chr) maledictions aren't in play, which in most (if, obviously, not all) fights they aren't.
48403, Mucho gracias!
Posted by Aearonor on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
n/t
48413, Hrm?
Posted by Valkenar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>It's a pretty significant boost when dex (or chr) maledictions
>aren't in play, which in most (if, obviously, not all) fights
>they aren't.

If your swashbuckled dodge is based on charisma rather than dex wouldn't it protect from dex maladictions? Or does the "somewhat more charismatic" mean that if your charisma - dexterity > 10 (for example) that your dodge reverts to being based on modified dex?
48416, RE: Hrm?
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Consider it to work like this:

If your CHR is higher than your DEX, use your CHR in place of DEX for dodge/evade. But: this can only raise your effective DEX by a maximum of X points. So if your current DEX is 10 and your CHR is 23, you get an effective DEX of 10+X rather than 23 because X is less than 13.
48414, So, does that mean....
Posted by conjurer1 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That even with the Swashbuckler edge and a 23 chr, if I take -dex maladictions, dodge and evade are hampered as normal, even though my Chr is still 23?

Or, does it mean that If I am a bard and take the Swashbuckler edge, then get caltrapsed, kotegaeshied (with crunchiness), kansetsuwazaed (with crunchiness), and Axe Kicked (with crunchiness), so that my dex is dropped to 3, but I have a ton of +str gear to keep my strength at 20 and my charisma remains at 23, that I will still dodge and evade as normal, since the edge checks Chr instead of dex because it's an improvement?(Run-on sentences. You gotta love em.) :)
48415, It used to work the way you state.
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Which was not how it was intended (since that would be absurdly overpowered).

Nepenthe fixed it after he watched me die horribly to Yhorian :)