Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectCaballed rangers
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=37074
37074, Caballed rangers
Posted by A curious newcomer on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
How do they deal with wilderness time? Unless they are outlanders of course. Will the 'cabal hideout' edge help?
37085, I don't get that edge
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The helpfile says it allows someone to hide in their OWN cabal, but Paralouit was considerably more dangerous as a result of being able to hide in enemy cabals, unless I'm mistaken. Even in the halls east and west of the watcher, I seem to recall.
37087, Pretty sure no.
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
If she could camo east of the Watcher, that's a bug, and if you've got a log, please bugboard it. West of the watcher is wilderness. As are a couple other spots in the Fortress. Also camo spots in Ragerville and (obviously) Outlander.
37075, Two things...
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
First off, um, why would being caballed affect your wilderness time? Unless you were a Tribunal or Herald, of course.

Second, cabal hideout is an IMM-reward only edge. Shouldn't base your character around it.
37076, RE: Two things...
Posted by Welverin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Fort has two Wildernes spots inside. One is pretty strategic on raids too.... And right outside is mountains. done right a Fort Mountaineer could be nice.
37077, No good rolling a Herald ranger then?
n/t
37081, Herald rangers are fine
Posted by lasentia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Behind the Inn there are wilderness spots, I used to see a fortress ranger there quite a bit. So you can just sit there if you want to be near the inn. Of course most inn events happen inside the Inn and stuff, but being a herald doesn't mean you have to spend all your time inside the inn waiting for people to stop by.
37083, Herald ranger is fine
Posted by Tsunami on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You just have to spend MOST of your time in the wilderness to keep your skills working right. Even still, you can function without insta camo. Don't expect to be a pk god, but if you are herald you probably aren't anyway.

My first ranger was herald I think. Most of my uncaballed rangers spend a lot of time at the Inn as well and I keep my instant camo. In fact, someone commented on one of my rangers that I spent a ton of time there.
37099, RE: Herald ranger is fine
As far as I know, fastcamo isn't the only drawback, it's just the most noticeable and annoying. Right?

The problem is, I don't know how much time is okay. If having 75% wilderness time is okay, then fine. But if it needs 95%, I'm going to be in trouble.

Also, does being an explorer help? The help file says this expertise allows for time spent in civilization, but does it only mitigate some negative effects or does it lower the minimum wilderness time needed for fastcamo?
37102, I couldn't say exact percentages
Posted by Tsunami on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Fastcamo is your main gauge. You want to keep it or stay close to it for maximum effectiveness across the board. I really don't think its even close to 95%. If I had to guess I would say its around 70-80%.

Explorer does seem to suffer less from being in civilized areas. Again, not enough testing to say for sure, but seems like it.

Also, you could always sit in the little grove to the north of the Inn. If someone comes in, then go hang out. Good way to keep your wilderness time up if you need.

You planning on PK as this herald? That could be rough. I don't think your skills will suffer enough for an exploration type character to be hurt though. I imagine things like bearcharge, wilderness familiarity, and camo suffering from low wilderness time.

-----------

It's really not that hard. Just pay attention to your fast camo and react accordingly.