Subject: "Conjure will-o-wisp" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Santa Zulg 2012 Topic #254
Show all folders

mageThu 03-Jan-13 07:26 PM
Member since 05th Apr 2008
248 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#254, "Conjure will-o-wisp"

It's been a very long time since I last tried to use this spell, but I do remember trying it a few times, in a few different circumstances, and finding it very much less than useful. I remember trying to use it to prevent lesser and greater trolls, taglos, gnolls, and dark stalkers from tracking me, and not really having the best results. To my knowledge, almost no one ever takes it, and those who do are usually newbies, or at least brand new to the conjurer class. What makes this spell even more useless, is that just 5 levels after you learn it, you learn phase door which prevents tracking mobs (and even PC tracking class abilities) with 100% success.

My request is for this spell to be moved to the pre-10 levels where tracking mobs present a much greater risk, and then improve the spell so that when tracking mobs encounter the will-o-wisp, they just remain in that room and pursue no further until the will-o-wisp is gone. Once the will-o-wisp is gone, then the mob will resume tracking as normal. Veterans probably still wouldn't need this spell very much, as most vets know how to effectively run from any given mob that might be tracking them. But these changes would make the spell immensely useful to newbies who haven't developed those skills yet.

Perhaps one additional change, if it's not too much, would be to make this spell cause a pissed off, unbound servitor to hesitate with its attack when it pursues its conjurer, giving the conjurer just enough time to put up a circle of protection, if they do nothing but conjure the wisp then make the circle. For example:

c "conjure elemental" fire

You yell 'Help! I'm being attacked by a fire elemental!'
flee
You flee from combat!
c "conjure will-o-wisp"
c "celestial circle"
The air begins to twinkle with dancing points of light!

You begin creating a celestial circle of protection.

A fire elemental arrives seeking the life of its conjurer!
A fire elemental is briefly distracted by the twinkling lights of a will-o-wisp.

You finish creating a circle of protection on the ground.
A fire elemental is kept at bay by the circle of protection.
c "bind elemental" fire 200
You bind a fire elemental to your servitude!

This could also hold true for other times when the conjurer is attacked either by his unbound servitor, or a bound servitor that has become pissed off for some reason. He flees, brings the wisp to buy enough time to make a circle, then begins the circle and finishes it before the distracting effect wears off.

My thought here is that this tactic only works in a similar manner to squeezing in one command between a PC spamming trip. If you do ANYTHING else, you don't get your good command in. In this case, if you do ANYTHING other than conjure wisp and create circles, you won't have time to finish the circle before your servitor arrives to end your life.

*I realize that newbies generally shouldn't be playing conjurers anyway due to its difficulty, but we all know they still do. This would at least give them a LITTLE extra boost, since they're likely to die to their own servitors plenty anyway.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ZulghinlourFri 04-Jan-13 11:30 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#255, "Santa Zulg brings you coal (n/t)"
In response to Reply #0

n/t

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Top Santa Zulg 2012 Topic #254 Previous topic | Next topic