Subject: "May 2006 Role Contest" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions History & Lore Topic #397
Show all folders

DaltericMon 08-May-06 07:38 AM
Member since 26th Jun 2005
82 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#397, "May 2006 Role Contest"

Good morning,

Announcing the opening of the May 2006 Role Contest. As is our system, all
roles written for consideration must have been entered before the timestamp
of this note. As a special bonus, Grurk has agreed to serve as a second
judge for this month's contest! Those who have won previously can enter, but
only their new entries (written since the role contest they placed in) will
be judged.

To take part in the contest, submit to Dalteric and Grurk a note that has a
subject of Role Contest Entrant. This note should be sent from the character
whose role you are submitting and does not need to include your role in the
note.

All submission notes must be sent to me by 8:00 a.m. system time on Monday,
May 15th, 2006. Any submissions received after that point cannot be
considered.

Good luck!

Dalteric

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DaltericMon 15-May-06 02:45 PM
82 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#398, "RE: May 2006 Role Contest is CLOSED"
In response to Reply #0

Good afternoon,

The May 2006 Role contest is closed. I just wanted to say, however, that i've been doing these for about a year now, and without a doubt this contest has been the most difficult to judge. Far too many roles seemed the odds on favorite--until I'd read another a couple names down. Roles have grown increasingly detailed and complex, and I'm all for it. As a result, a full quarter of the entries are receiving awards. There will be 5 standard ranked prizes, an honorable mention from both Grurk and I, and 4 straight xp bonuses, bringing award winning to 11 out of 42 participants.

I can speak only for myself, but as quality continues to rise, competition will grow tighter, but I am also willing to give out more bonuses. Thank you to all the participants, and congratulations to all the winners!

Dalteric
Grurk

DaltericMon 15-May-06 02:57 PM
82 posts
#399, "May 2006 Role Contest Statistics"
In response to Reply #1

45 Entries, 42 that met the requirements to be judged:

Race	 Total
arial	   4
cloud	   3
d-elf	   1
duergar	   1
dwarf	   3
elf 	   3
felar	   1
fire	   3
h-drw	   5
h-elf	   2
human	  12
minotaur  2
storm	   1
w-elf	   1
Total    42

Class    Total
A-P	   5
assassin  2
bard	   3
conjurer  3
druid	   2
healer	   3
invoker	   1
paladin	   3
ranger	   3
shaman	   4
shifter	   1
thief	   2
warrior	  10
Total	  42

Top Spheres:
Only one sphere had a count greater than 2:  Death

Rank	Total
1-10	  3
11-20	  9
21-30	  9
31-40	  6
41-50	  5
Hero	 10
Total	 42

DaltericMon 15-May-06 06:58 PM
82 posts
#400, "May 2006 Role Contest Comments"
In response to Reply #1

I had to write far too many comments for this contest, too many good entries--but here is what I have, I hope you enjoy!

Adhelard This is pretty good, I like history, and your story of Voralia & family + tribunal is good stuff.

Aelisoc This is a pretty good role, it has a lot of good information in it. Really the only strike against it is that it is a little hard to follow at points, but still a damn fine effort

Agamenikis Not a bad role, well written and the start of a good storyline

Ardonis Pretty good role, nice intro, though the shift between the two entries could probably be better explained (how the two aspects of his life affects him). But still, a very useful role

Azkril Yeah, this is a good story. You write in a vivid fashion that really conveys a lot, really good work.

Bolen This is a fairly interesting role, and does a good job of explaining the background of Bolen, though some updates would probably push it towards outstanding

Cabdru Nice continuation on your earlier work, particularly the latest entry

Caroolth not bad, a good interesting start and then kept relevant through updates

Cyriac More entries then levels, and each one detailing your life. It really was a fun read, I felt just like I was in the academy with you, I think it’s a most promising start.

Eusjouk This is a long, extremely detailed entry, you clearly put a lot of good thought into this.

Fereacu An outstanding story, from the description of your abilities to the incorporation of a theme that will carry you through the life of the character.

Hyzin This role is outstanding. It has great emotional intensity and story, and yeah, I don't know that I can praise it enough. The first handful of entries in particular are very moving.

Jeril The opening narrative in the first two entries was quite nice, it incorporated all sorts of character aspects, well done.

Kaciam A pretty good role, nice description of religion & meetings.

Kharghurln Ok, this is good funny fare. I particularly like your first couple and the last entry, its some good storytelling

Kharthak This is a good start with a lot of promise, should really expand on the backstory

Krithnar Good backstory and you get a real flavor of the characters thought process

Krundig Pretty good role, some of the transitions weren't the most clear, has very much a small flashback vibe, which can be played verll well. Good work

Kuchnaya An interesting role, but I have no idea whatever is going on! You simply must add to it so we can figure it out

Landren Another really good role. You people are making it hard on us poor judges.

Lelil I really enjoyed your narrative style, you start off really well, and someone should beat you with the update stick!

Lemli This isn't a bad role, brief, but is a worthy attempt. Could really be fleshed out more, but is a good start

Morgrun A solid role, gives a lot of good detail and explains the steps along your path from childhood to paladintime

Raec I think we can all see the importance of cleanliness. This is a damn funny little role amidst a lot of seriousness. Go crazy

Rhanna A pretty good story, nice explanation of the effects one might take in doing something they believe is right and then the costs possible.

Saroiya This is a long detailed role that carries you through the life of the character. Good job

Sebastiano This is a good role that uses a lot of good narrative tools to convey a story

Terekin This is pretty good, has backstory with humor, could have done a lot more with it in this style I think though.

Thelmon A nice little role, you give a background, explain the character and go from there. Nothing super unique but really defines what one could want/hope for

Torrth It's an interesting story, but the type of role that really calls out for more updates--so get to it.

Tyrelyn I really like this role, you get a real flavor for the character and his evil machinations

Valryn An interesting start, update some more!

Vandrylon A nice continuation of your role. I like the funny and how you carry through with all your "options"

Vinstabrar You could be an evil bastard. Really the twist on torture was down right interesting.

DaltericMon 15-May-06 07:05 PM
82 posts
#401, "RE: May 2006 Role Contest Winners"
In response to Reply #1

I think Grurk and I have said often enough that there were a
lot of high quality roles this time around, and many many
deserving recipients.  Unfortunately, even giving something to
a quarter of entrants didn't cover all those that could easily
deserve a prize.  In terms of recipients we have:

First Place  - Hyzin
Second Place - Kharghurln
Third Place  - Saroiya
Fourth Place - Landren
Fifth Place  - Jeril
Dalt Hon Men.- Tyrelyn
Grurk Hon Men- Bolen

Beyond these, who all received prizes, we'll be giving a gift
of XP to four others, who would have likely placed in other
contests: Aelisoc, Krundig, Reac, Vinstabrar.

Top General Discussions History & Lore Topic #397 Previous topic | Next topic