Subject: "Discussion on Wrath type damage." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #935
Show all folders

GinGaSun 04-May-03 02:03 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
996 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#935, "Discussion on Wrath type damage."

Alright, we know this: wrath is a kind of divine damaging, it being the wrath of some god upon high.

I was told this: Its not restricted to 'good only' type weapons or even a 'good' based damage or anything.

So why: Are the races that are hurt most by it mostly 'evil' (with an exception that have a divine vuln curse) and paladins immune. Well, most of the time. Why is it a paladin can gain immunity from any kind of wrathing god that channels through a weapon but an AP can't?

Ontop of that, to get a wrath resistance, you get resist_positive. Works for all wrathing weapons, including the few evil_only wrathing ones.

Also, I would question why wrath appears only on most 'good' weapons, while evil ones tend towards defilement. Yet we still have 'evil only' weapons out there that do wrath damage. Not only is this useless against paladins and the like, but it rarely does more damage against 'good' aligns, such as elves. I've noticed a weaker sword (steel) did more damage against a certain bunch of elves I fight often than this 'evil_only' wrathing sword. Maybe they're resistant to it, some kind of resist_positive.

Feel free to offer counter arguments and such, I'm never perfect on my arguments anyway. Anyone wants to support me with corrections, hoorah!

What I really want, get all these evil_only_wrath_thingies to change to defilement or something else. Sounds easier than going through and changing resist_positive, paladin mobs and PC's and even the elves. Discuss ppl!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

incognitoSun 04-May-03 06:35 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#936, "RE: Discussion on Wrath type damage."
In response to Reply #0

>Alright, we know this: wrath is a kind of divine damaging, it
>being the wrath of some god upon high.
>
>I was told this: Its not restricted to 'good only' type
>weapons or even a 'good' based damage or anything.
>
>So why: Are the races that are hurt most by it mostly 'evil'

mostly isn't the same as all. Clouds are wrath vuln.

> with an exception that have a divine vuln curse) and paladins
>immune. Well, most of the time. Why is it a paladin can gain
>immunity from any kind of wrathing god that channels through a
>weapon but an AP can't?
>

AP's have nothing to do with divine power. Paladins have.

>Ontop of that, to get a wrath resistance, you get
>resist_positive. Works for all wrathing weapons, including the
>few evil_only wrathing ones.
>

Wrath from an evil god is still positive energy.

>Also, I would question why wrath appears only on most 'good'
>weapons, while evil ones tend towards defilement. Yet we still
>have 'evil only' weapons out there that do wrath damage. Not
>only is this useless against paladins and the like, but it
>rarely does more damage against 'good' aligns, such as elves.

Actually the wrath attack cuts through certain resistances.

>I've noticed a weaker sword (steel) did more damage against a
>certain bunch of elves I fight often than this 'evil_only'
>wrathing sword.

MAybe the wrathing sword was of higher level than its wielder, and the weaker sword wasn't.

> Maybe they're resistant to it, some kind of
>resist_positive.
>
>Feel free to offer counter arguments and such, I'm never
>perfect on my arguments anyway. Anyone wants to support me
>with corrections, hoorah!
>
>What I really want, get all these evil_only_wrath_thingies to
>change to defilement or something else. Sounds easier than
>going through and changing resist_positive, paladin mobs and
>PC's and even the elves. Discuss ppl!

I think it is ok as is. There is a difference between wrath and defilement. Think of it as something like the difference between a burn and withering. An evil god might do either of these, but burning is positive (a la wrath) and withering is negative (a la defilement).

GinGaMon 05-May-03 12:05 PM
996 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#937, "All sounds fair except for the.."
In response to Reply #1

'Wrath from an evil god, uses positive energy'

Even with the burn/whither thing it doesn't make sense. If I were an evil god, I'd go with an evil wrathing. Just because whom ever I'm toasting with it might be immune.

So why is it paladins gain immunity to it, while shamans don't? Why is it I can't have a wrath-immune, evil or good shaman? Just because of a virtue or something?

Other than that, yeah you have a good enough counter-argument. Thanks.

KarelMon 05-May-03 04:06 PM
569 posts
#938, "Wrath..."
In response to Reply #2

Wrath is simply another word for anger or divine retribution/chastisement. So there would be no evil or good for, rather just it is what it is. Get hit by a lightning bolt, stick your finger in a socket or discharge static electiricty on a doorknob, it's all the same thing, just with different sources. As for paladin immunity, maybe their gods shield them from other's punishment (at a cost), maybe their ability to channel that anger let's them see how to avoid it, similiar to an invoker and his shields. Whatever the reason, I'd say it's fine as is. You know wrath isn't the best way to go if you fight a paladin. You know fire isn't the best way to fight a fire giant either.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #935 Previous topic | Next topic