Subject: "Scion cabal power" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #8319
Show all folders

Vershelt (inactive user)Tue 19-Apr-05 10:38 PM
Charter member

After long and careful consideration, I've come to the inescapable conclusion that the small nightwalker stealing power is just ####.

Seriously, give them something else, let 'em shoot deathrays or something. But this is a power that is totally un-preparable-for, if you'll pardon my french.

Steal everything. Including the scepter. Including all your things. And you can't do anything about it if you can't see hidden or use an area spell or something, namely pretty much all warriors. Especially battleragers.

And lest we forget, battle and scion are primary enemies for eachother, so it's not like you can just say "aw #### it, I don't want to raid."

I don't want to reduce scion power. But make it something individual, or heck like the scarab cabal power. But at least you can fight it, do something about it. And you don't lose the damn item when you actually win the fight against the inner guardian. If they want to steal, let them induct a thief. Please.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Stealing Nightwalkers, Straklaw, 21-Apr-05 03:02 PM, #23
Reply RE: Stealing Nightwalkers, Vershelt (Anonymous), 21-Apr-05 03:09 PM, #24
Reply Being a Scion Transmuter Once, Kazadan, 21-Apr-05 03:58 AM, #20
Reply Suggestions, jaynus, 21-Apr-05 02:58 AM, #18
Reply sorry but, incognito, 21-Apr-05 05:27 AM, #22
Reply RE: Scion cabal power, Mekantos, 19-Apr-05 10:52 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Scion cabal power, Vershelt (Anonymous), 19-Apr-05 11:11 PM, #2
          Reply I just want to voice my thoughts on this., Mekantos, 19-Apr-05 11:55 PM, #3
          Reply RE: I just want to voice my thoughts on this., nepenthe, 20-Apr-05 12:11 AM, #4
          Reply I believe you, Mekantos, 20-Apr-05 01:05 AM, #5
          Reply Heh, Dwoggurd, 20-Apr-05 03:28 AM, #6
          Reply RE: I just want to voice my thoughts on this., Eskelian, 20-Apr-05 04:33 PM, #17
          Reply Read the statistics post I made lower on this forum, laxman, 20-Apr-05 08:09 AM, #8
          Reply RE: Read the statistics post I made lower on this forum, Valguarnera, 20-Apr-05 08:31 AM, #10
               Reply RE: Read the statistics post I made lower on this forum, laxman, 20-Apr-05 09:14 AM, #11
          Reply RE: I just want to voice my thoughts on this., jaynus, 21-Apr-05 03:07 AM, #19
          Reply Like Jinroh?, incognito, 21-Apr-05 05:25 AM, #21
          Reply Some comments, Rager, 25-Apr-05 07:00 AM, #27
          Reply RE: Scion cabal power, Valguarnera, 20-Apr-05 07:10 AM, #7
          Reply As a longtime Scion I feel qualified to say..., Enbuergo, 20-Apr-05 08:28 AM, #9
               Reply RE: As a longtime Scion I feel qualified to say..., Vershelt (Anonymous), 20-Apr-05 11:21 AM, #12
               Reply In your example, incognito, 20-Apr-05 11:47 AM, #13
               Reply Vershelt's just being purposefully obtuse., Enbuergo, 20-Apr-05 11:57 AM, #14
               Reply RE: As a longtime Scion I feel qualified to say..., Eskelian, 20-Apr-05 04:29 PM, #16
               Reply If you can't think of..., Moridin, 21-Apr-05 05:16 PM, #25
               Reply I like this guy. -nt-, Mekantos, 20-Apr-05 01:54 PM, #15
               Reply Play a rager then come back and say that -nt, jaynus, 21-Apr-05 11:59 PM, #26

StraklawThu 21-Apr-05 03:02 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#8368, "Stealing Nightwalkers"
In response to Reply #0

Personally, I find them to be a serious annoyance, but little else, except in stealing the cabal item. You can't give cabal items to any other mobs in the game, why not let that theme hold true here, where the nightwalkers aren't worthy for the Scepter if they steal it? That way, if you manage to raid, but no way to area-attack/see hidden, you still can at least walk away with the Scepter (So long as no random Scions grab it before you do, which I think is fair enough).

Vershelt (inactive user)Thu 21-Apr-05 03:09 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #23

That sounds like a sensible compromise and makes sense ic when, as you say, no other mobs can take cabal items.

KazadanThu 21-Apr-05 03:58 AM
Member since 20th Jun 2004
49 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8354, "Being a Scion Transmuter Once"
In response to Reply #0

You got a point about the thieving nightwalkers, but I
think everybody has their weakness. Like Valguarnera said
about Transmuters, they are horribly equipped to fight
someone of the likes of a berserker cloud rager warrior
like yourself. Yeah, it does suck... and heavily, but so
does fighting someone like yourself as a scion transmuter.
Instead of thinking of the poor Villager that cannot keep
the Scepter he raids for, think of the poor scion tranny
that can't defend against the single berserker cloud rager
warrior on his lonesome.

I mean it is all relative, the Imms could decide to remove
it and change it to something else. Personally I think the
thieving capabilities are neat because its different from
other cabal skills. It sucks at times, but then again so
does fighting someone like yourself for most of your
enemies. You complain that you can't take a Scepter, we
complain that me and two others get steamrolled by you
when you bloodthirst (although I'm certain that's not
always the case, but I've seen logs).

Anyways, my two cents.
Kazadan

jaynusThu 21-Apr-05 02:58 AM
Member since 16th Apr 2003
139 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8352, "Suggestions"
In response to Reply #0

First of all, anyone that immediately goes on the offense about 'ragers' has a problem. They have to understand that playing ragers isn't the easiest thing to do in this MUD. Nepenthe said it and I'll say it now: If you think it's so easy, do it. Otherwise stop talking ASAP. Seriously, I can leave this MUD for half a year and come back and still see the same whining about ragers (different people though, Enbuergo?). Get over yourselves, damn.

My suggestion for the scion pet is keep the stealing, but make it visible. That way a person without any means whatsoever of detecting it (RAGER?) can fight for their stuff back. Having had the item stolen under me by lower levelled Scion mobs is well, frustrating. Especially if I had to fight 3-4 Scions and raid at the same time.

incognitoThu 21-Apr-05 05:27 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8356, "sorry but"
In response to Reply #18

None of your ragers have yet come up with a flaw in Enbuergo's suggestion to stop them robbing you.

The closest you have come is to say that they stick around for a bit after dawn comes. But Enbuergo actually covered how to deal with that too.

MekantosTue 19-Apr-05 10:52 PM
Member since 06th Dec 2003
796 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8320, "RE: Scion cabal power"
In response to Reply #0

Maaaaaybe this is below the belt. Ah hell, I know it is, but if we're going to tone down cheap powers, I'd be putting Berserker powers at the top of a very short list.

There's my cheap shot for the day! Later.

Vershelt (inactive user)Tue 19-Apr-05 11:11 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #1

Except berserker powers come with huge, enormous, get-you-killed drawbacks, and are also powers which can be prepared against, defended against, reduced, and generally circumvented.

None of that can be said about this particular scion power. It's entirely without drawback and it is impossible to defend against by most of the people who are required to fight the cabal. Worse, it renders a success against all the scion actual players a loss.

MekantosTue 19-Apr-05 11:55 PM
796 posts
#8322, "I just want to voice my thoughts on this."
In response to Reply #2

First, a disclaimer. These thoughts are not inspired by any one character, but rather by close to a decade of continuous play by a person who has played one berserker (and was amazed at the amount of ass I kicked that I shouldn't have been able to). I try to be "enlightened" in all things, and look at every angle, but my opinion of BattleRagers is still a negative one, and I want to explain why.

Except berserker powers come with huge, enormous, get-you-killed drawbacks, and are also powers which can be prepared against, defended against, reduced, and generally circumvented.

This is the line that's been pitched since God-knows-when. You believe it, and the Imms Who Count believe it, so it probably won't change, but this is where I think it is wrong...

What, exactly, is enormous about the drawbacks? If you use bloodthirst you will auto-attack mobs...but you can flee from those mobs and into your cabal, which has the best strategic location in the game. What is the drawback to deathblow? What is the drawback to resist? What is the drawback to spellbane? I only see gold stars, A-pluses, and two-thumbs up.

You also say the powers can be "prepared against". Well, deathblow is designed to ruin the effectiveness of preps, and does so quite well. How do you prepare against resist? How do you prepare against spellbane (short of bringing a gang)?

Now the "umbrella drawback" to the village is that you can't use magic. Duh. We all know that. Sure, it's pretty big. It was a lot bigger in the past, when mages had less drawbacks in regards to gathering preps, some stronger shapeshifter forms (anyone remember falcons kicking everyone's asses?), transform, etc. Now Scions have something similar to 'transform', but it's not as easy to use, and has a wide degree of variance. Villagers still have deathblow, resist, thirst, spellbane, trophy...why haven't they lost something as the game has become more challenging for everyone else?

I mean, do I have to roll up a power-combo cloud berserker sword spec and log every crazy scenario where I rip through my entire range in one sitting before something will change?

One thing that I really want to know, but have little to no chance of really finding out, is if the group that has always viciously defended the integrity of Ragers in CF is just small and loud, or more broad-based. If it's the former, that's some form of minority tyranny, which is not, I remind you all, an oxymoron.

None of that can be said about this particular scion power. It's entirely without drawback and it is impossible to defend against by most of the people who are required to fight the cabal. Worse, it renders a success against all the scion actual players a loss.

To comment on this, you should know that the thieving nightwalkers tend to fail quite a bit. As soon as they fail they become vulnerable, and visible. That's one way to fight them right there. The other way is to simply stay out of their way...which is the one real solution to getting around all of those nice rager powers . Sounds poetic to me.

If no one agrees here, well, just think of me as the crazy guy in the corner, like always!

nepentheWed 20-Apr-05 12:11 AM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8323, "RE: I just want to voice my thoughts on this."
In response to Reply #3

>I mean, do I have to roll up a power-combo cloud berserker
>sword spec and log every crazy scenario where I rip through my
>entire range in one sitting before something will change?

Oodles of people have tried that, over the years. They tend to rage delete or con death.

Seriously, if you think it's that good, play it, and play it as best you can. You'll discover in the process the holes in the combo. There's lots of them.

I say things like "No one should die to this situation, except Battle warrior." often. Honestly, it's not for nothing.

MekantosWed 20-Apr-05 01:05 AM
796 posts
#8324, "I believe you"
In response to Reply #4

I know it's not easy to be a badass rager. Hell, maybe it's just a testament to the skill of the players of those villagers that they were/are badass.

Can I just ask you this, though? Is there any chance that the village will ever see some downward tweaking in the powers department, or do you guys think it's balanced enough as it is?

DwoggurdWed 20-Apr-05 03:28 AM
Member since 20th Jan 2004
668 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8327, "Heh"
In response to Reply #5

>I know it's not easy to be a badass rager. Hell, maybe it's
>just a testament to the skill of the players of those
>villagers that they were/are badass.
>
>
>Can I just ask you this, though? Is there any chance that the
>village will ever see some downward tweaking in the powers
>department, or do you guys think it's balanced enough as it
>is?

Why tweak their powers if they aren't broken?
I mean, yes, unspeak db is scary.
But so is an unspeak geyser in a quicksand.
And many many other things.
If you downgrade rager powers everybody will just laugh at them. Seriously.

I believe you are capable to make a strong rager,
however, be prepared when I'm going to one-round you:

http://www.qhcf.net/forum-2002/logs/vpost.pl?27170

EskelianWed 20-Apr-05 04:33 PM
2023 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8348, "RE: I just want to voice my thoughts on this."
In response to Reply #4

So why not give them abilities equally good that aren't completely random?

I'm not saying life should be virtually impossible, more that I'd like to see more logs like Rhuean's kills and less that involve bash bash deathblow dead.

I'm all in favor of strong rager powers, just ones that you use instead of just hoping they go off.

laxmanWed 20-Apr-05 08:09 AM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#8331, "Read the statistics post I made lower on this forum"
In response to Reply #3

Obviously Your typical berserker has only a slightly better then 50/50 ratio, and that particular batch of statistics had more then a handful of what could be considered well above average berserkers. My argument is they are not good enough at killing mages and often have more incentive to attack warriors in groups because its easier to seal a kill on them then it is to seal a kill on a mage, I wanna see spellbane turn the spell back on the mage and take out deathblow and replace it with a second form of enhanced damage or a second berserk skill.

ValguarneraWed 20-Apr-05 08:31 AM
6904 posts
#8333, "RE: Read the statistics post I made lower on this forum"
In response to Reply #8

Obviously Your typical berserker has only a slightly better then 50/50 ratio

They kill a lot and die a lot, and you're correct that the average Battle character is probably slightly more experienced than the average CFer, if only because they were able to pass their induction scheme. The current Battle crowd is similar to the recently departed ones you cited, and it's a very consistent trend. It's certainly not something that screams for rebalancing or downgrading their abilities.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

laxmanWed 20-Apr-05 09:14 AM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#8334, "RE: Read the statistics post I made lower on this forum"
In response to Reply #10

I suggested the change not cause I thought it was unbalanced just throwing out another idea that might be interesting, personally if you changed spellbane to be similar to volley but work on spells cast anytime it would be a huge boost in power for berserkers even with the loss of deathblow, sure they cannot cut down groups of warriors as easily and but it makes it damn near immposible for a mage to kill them solo cause half the time they end up maledicting or hurting themselves, of course this would discourage any mage from fighting a berserker and would in the end likely make it harder for a berserker to land a mage kill.

Also something I have noticed as a berserker and i am sure you have documented it, up until rank 40 You kill a lot of mages, after 42 your mostly killing non mages, why, well because suddenly the mages get away too easy when you have an advantage(more hp means more time to flee) and when they have an advantage well you are still screwed in getting away.

jaynusThu 21-Apr-05 03:07 AM
139 posts
#8353, "RE: I just want to voice my thoughts on this."
In response to Reply #3

>This is the line that's been pitched since God-knows-when. You
>believe it, and the Imms Who Count believe it, so it probably
>won't change, but this is where I think it is wrong...
>
>What, exactly, is enormous about the drawbacks? If you use
>bloodthirst you will auto-attack mobs...but you can flee from
>those mobs and into your cabal, which has the best strategic
>location in the game. What is the drawback to deathblow? What
>is the drawback to resist? What is the drawback to spellbane?
>I only see gold stars, A-pluses, and two-thumbs up.
>

Mekantos, let's see how stupid you feel when you're summoned into the locked room in Galadon. Or throw in any locked room for that matter. Then come back here and tell me about 'drawbacks'.

The drawback to all these powers are that when you lose the head, you become junk. I can imagine a level 51 warrior without preps and a cabal and think about how owned he/she would be at his level. Then I recall that's EXACTLY what a head-less Rager is. Lot's of people have bested Ragers's I've made or played with simply because of ninja raiding. In Organia and being raided? Time to quaff the.. oh wait a sec. Guess you gotta walk. By the time you come back, your head is gone and the defense is setup. Drawback #2

I can list a billion but I don't want to spoonfeed the whiners. If you honestly can't figure out how to beat a rager, you aren't thinking hard enough. I think people just want to go up 1v1 against a Rager and win everytime. Life would be alot easier then, yeah?

>You also say the powers can be "prepared against". Well,
>deathblow is designed to ruin the effectiveness of preps, and
>does so quite well. How do you prepare against resist? How do
>you prepare against spellbane (short of bringing a gang)?
>

Haste with a staff. Not hard. Shadow classes can knock Ragers out and wait until their stuff runs out. Not hard.

>Now the "umbrella drawback" to the village is that you can't
>use magic. Duh. We all know that. Sure, it's pretty big. It
>was a lot bigger in the past, when mages had less drawbacks in
>regards to gathering preps, some stronger shapeshifter forms
> anyone remember falcons kicking everyone's asses?),
>transform, etc. Now Scions have something similar to
>'transform', but it's not as easy to use, and has a wide
>degree of variance. Villagers still have deathblow, resist,
>thirst, spellbane, trophy...why haven't they lost something as
>the game has become more challenging for everyone else?
>

Simple. The Rager cabal is stuck with a few limited classes. Where 1 rager might be able to beat 1 scion, 3 scion (invoker, healer, AP) could easily beat 3/4/5 ragers. That's the beauty of synergy.

>I mean, do I have to roll up a power-combo cloud berserker
>sword spec and log every crazy scenario where I rip through my
>entire range in one sitting before something will change?
>

Play against some competent invokers and you'll see whats up soon enough.

>One thing that I really want to know, but have little to no
>chance of really finding out, is if the group that has always
>viciously defended the integrity of Ragers in CF is just small
>and loud, or more broad-based. If it's the former, that's some
>form of minority tyranny, which is not, I remind you
>all, an oxymoron.
>

They are people who have played in the Village. I've noticed over my year of constantly defending the Village that anyone who has argued against it viciously also subsequently have never played a Rager in the past year. Not surprising, really.

>
>None of that can be said about this particular scion power.
>It's entirely without drawback and it is impossible to defend
>against by most of the people who are required to fight the
>cabal. Worse, it renders a success against all the scion
>actual players a loss.

>
>
>To comment on this, you should know that the thieving
>nightwalkers tend to fail quite a bit. As soon as they fail
>they become vulnerable, and visible. That's one way to fight
>them right there. The other way is to simply stay out of their
>way...which is the one real solution to getting around all of
>those nice rager powers . Sounds poetic to me.

Not in my experience. Even as a Duergar I had a problem with them stealing my crap. Now imagine playing a non-duergar, and having a out of range healer healing the mobs? Fun?

>
>
>If no one agrees here, well, just think of me as the crazy guy
>in the corner, like always

Just another dood who hasn't played a Rager (for whatever reason).

incognitoThu 21-Apr-05 05:25 AM
4495 posts
#8355, "Like Jinroh?"
In response to Reply #19

Jinroh's played plenty of ragers.

And for the record, if you are in organia as a non-rager, you still can't quaff when you are raided. Unless you are psychic.

Your suggestion for a shadow to knock them out seems to ignore that against berserkers, at least, he's probably dead if he fails the knock-out.

And whilst I agree with your comment on synergy to some extent, the scions tend, on the whole, to have few members, and thus not get to take as much advantage of synergy.

RagerMon 25-Apr-05 07:00 AM
Member since 09th Apr 2005
6 posts
#8399, "Some comments"
In response to Reply #3

Yes ragers are strong, but WITH powers.

You take away rager powers and they become extremely sucky.
That is the main reason why ragers are balanced.

You take away scion or empire powers and it has very little effect on them.

A scion trying to get the sceptre from empire has very little concern compared to a rager.

You can not simply compare powers to powers because battle is so far below par *before* powers are considered.

ValguarneraWed 20-Apr-05 07:10 AM
6904 posts
#8329, "RE: Scion cabal power"
In response to Reply #2

1) It will work somewhat often against Berserker warrior. Lots of other people can do plenty about it. Even Berserker warrior can do a fair bit about it. As an analogy, Spellbane looks really good against a Scion transmuter.

2) In other ways, Berserker warrior cares the least about it because his inventory probably consists of food, water, a boat, a sack, and some weapons.

3) There are plenty of things you can do against it. One is ridiculously simple. Several other things are sensible things you can do against PC thieves who were doing the same thing.

4) The power is situational. Smart opponents can often neutralize it by outplaying the Scion, which is more than you can say for Resistance or Deathblow, which are great powers in any fight you had a chance to win.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

EnbuergoWed 20-Apr-05 08:28 AM
150 posts
#8332, "As a longtime Scion I feel qualified to say..."
In response to Reply #2

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I mean, you're kidding, right? This is a joke, right? HAHAHAHA!! Here, I'll throw in the punchline!

>Except berserker powers come with huge, enormous,
>get-you-killed drawbacks, and are also powers which can be
>prepared against, defended against, reduced, and generally
>circumvented.

Here, let me as Johnny Scion warrior 'prep' for deathblow. Let's see...nightwalker, check. Stoneskin, check. Haste, Aura...well those are out and are probably sitting in someone's inventory. OK, I'll go in with just stoneskin. Wait a second, I'm only doing half the damage they are because of resist...shoot, I just got hit with three deathblows and died.

>None of that can be said about this particular scion power.
>It's entirely without drawback and it is impossible to defend
>against by most of the people who are required to fight the
>cabal. Worse, it renders a success against all the scion
>actual players a loss.

Hahahaha! Let's see, I guess as Johnny Berserker, dropping all my 'preps' off in the battle cabal before raiding is out of the question. Food and water is hard to come by.

Hmmm, well I suppose I could always raid during the day when a portal CAN'T be called. Nah...too easy, and that says I have a defeatist attitude towards the whole thing!

What's this? Small nightwalkers that steal are the most rare thing to come out of the portal, with an even worse chance of coming if they aren't being called by a leader, and generally fail?? Well, still, unfair says I! I could really lessen the chance of the scepter getting stolen by doing a couple very easy things (wait, if the steals are random, you mean I could fill up my inventory with berry pies and reduce the chance of the Scepter being stolen! Pshaw!), including not hanging around to full loot the Scion pit, but hey, to the victor go the spoils and I have every right to sit here for 10 minutes sorting through loot!

I guess with all my crappy berserker insta haste/deathblow/sanc/infinite movement/cure blindness powers, I'll just go back to my norecall shrine and sit by my sick inner guardian that has the best cabal guardian abilities, twice the hp, and innate dam redux and pay the priest to uncurse some stuff for me. Woe is I!!

Vershelt (inactive user)Wed 20-Apr-05 11:21 AM
Charter member
#8338, "RE: As a longtime Scion I feel qualified to say..."
In response to Reply #9

>HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I mean, you're kidding, right? This is a
>joke, right? HAHAHAHA!! Here, I'll throw in the punchline!
>
>>Except berserker powers come with huge, enormous,
>>get-you-killed drawbacks, and are also powers which can be
>>prepared against, defended against, reduced, and generally
>>circumvented.
>
>Here, let me as Johnny Scion warrior 'prep' for deathblow.
>Let's see...nightwalker, check. Stoneskin, check. Haste,
>Aura...well those are out and are probably sitting in
>someone's inventory. OK, I'll go in with just stoneskin.
>Wait a second, I'm only doing half the damage they are because
>of resist...shoot, I just got hit with three deathblows and
>died.
>

You're dumb, so I'll try and dumb this down for you. Yes, prep for deathblow. You have healers, you have invokers, you have the ability to use stoneskin, aura, shield, haste, and everything else. If you don't use any, that's your fault. And you have two or three or four super special ways of avoiding that deathblow: called parry, dodge, shieldblock, spin, flourentine, distance, and anything else like that. Or, you can *gasp* disarm the rager. Taking the weapon out of a rager who uses axes and maces and swords and daggers and all that is novel for someone like you I'm sure, but now you know. Or *gasp* you can reduce his strength, watch him thirst, go away for three hours and wow, come kill him.

These are all just off the top of my head and I'm a ####ty player, so I'm sure a genius like you can come up with more and better ways to prep for deathblow and thirst and all that jazz.

>>None of that can be said about this particular scion power.
>>It's entirely without drawback and it is impossible to
>defend
>>against by most of the people who are required to fight the
>>cabal. Worse, it renders a success against all the scion
>>actual players a loss.
>
>
>Hahahaha! Let's see, I guess as Johnny Berserker, dropping
>all my 'preps' off in the battle cabal before raiding is out
>of the question. Food and water is hard to come by.
>

No doubt you think you're funny talking about 'preps' and a villager. Ha, ha, ha. Sadly you're also stupid. A rager depends on his weapons like everyone else, and needs them to go do that little raid. So when he leaves them all in the village he goes and does what, use profanity against the scion defenders and archmage?

>Hmmm, well I suppose I could always raid during the day when a
>portal CAN'T be called. Nah...too easy, and that says I have
>a defeatist attitude towards the whole thing!
>

Except they last into the day after they have been called - the scepter was stolen during daylight hours.

>What's this? Small nightwalkers that steal are the most rare
>thing to come out of the portal, with an even worse chance of
>coming if they aren't being called by a leader, and generally
>fail?? Well, still, unfair says I! I could really lessen the
>chance of the scepter getting stolen by doing a couple very
>easy things (wait, if the steals are random, you mean I could
>fill up my inventory with berry pies and reduce the chance of
>the Scepter being stolen! Pshaw!), including not hanging
>around to full loot the Scion pit, but hey, to the victor go
>the spoils and I have every right to sit here for 10 minutes
>sorting through loot!
>

Most rare? Ok, but that just means the others are constant and numerous because the "most rare" one always happens when I raid. And all of the inventory is stolen. And only rarely does it fail and step from the shadows. And the most recent time it was called by Mendoza who is not a leader and all the inventory was stolen and the scepter as well after the archmage died, despite leaving as fast as possible - the pit was empty. And no, I can't lessen it by doing some easy things. Some of us don't have the inventory of an arial. We have lower dex. And even so it steals the entire inventory, so it doesn't matter. You just don't want to accept that.

>I guess with all my crappy berserker insta
>haste/deathblow/sanc/infinite movement/cure blindness powers,
>I'll just go back to my norecall shrine and sit by my sick
>inner guardian that has the best cabal guardian abilities,
>twice the hp, and innate dam redux and pay the priest to
>uncurse some stuff for me. Woe is I!!
>

Except... not. Doofus.

incognitoWed 20-Apr-05 11:47 AM
4495 posts
#8339, "In your example"
In response to Reply #12

You are talking about raiding scions.

There is a very simple solution to not having your gear stolen whilst you raid scion.

If you miss it, that's your fault, because it is something 100% under your control. Much moreso than running out of preps whilst defending against sustained attacks, which is often something under the control of the attackers.

There are other situations where you might not have control over whether you get robbed blind by nightwalkers, but when you raid scion, that's not one of them.

EnbuergoWed 20-Apr-05 11:57 AM
150 posts
#8341, "Vershelt's just being purposefully obtuse."
In response to Reply #13

Honestly, if he wants to disregard all the little ways I mentioned to avoid getting robbed, I say let him. He can continue to get his stuff stolen and continue to get madder for all I care. There are so many ways for a player to circumvent winged nightwalkers it's silly. I just wish I could 'turn off' deathblow, bloodthirst, and resist as easily.

EskelianWed 20-Apr-05 04:29 PM
2023 posts
#8347, "RE: As a longtime Scion I feel qualified to say..."
In response to Reply #12

>>HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I mean, you're kidding, right? This is
>a
>>joke, right? HAHAHAHA!! Here, I'll throw in the punchline!
>>
>>>Except berserker powers come with huge, enormous,
>>>get-you-killed drawbacks, and are also powers which can be
>>>prepared against, defended against, reduced, and generally
>>>circumvented.
>>
>>Here, let me as Johnny Scion warrior 'prep' for deathblow.
>>Let's see...nightwalker, check. Stoneskin, check. Haste,
>>Aura...well those are out and are probably sitting in
>>someone's inventory. OK, I'll go in with just stoneskin.
>>Wait a second, I'm only doing half the damage they are
>because
>>of resist...shoot, I just got hit with three deathblows and
>>died.
>>
>
>You're dumb, so I'll try and dumb this down for you. Yes,
>prep for deathblow. You have healers, you have invokers, you
>have the ability to use stoneskin, aura, shield, haste, and
>everything else. If you don't use any, that's your fault. And
>you have two or three or four super special ways of avoiding
>that deathblow: called parry, dodge, shieldblock, spin,
>flourentine, distance, and anything else like that. Or, you
>can *gasp* disarm the rager. Taking the weapon out of a rager
>who uses axes and maces and swords and daggers and all that is
>novel for someone like you I'm sure, but now you know. Or
>*gasp* you can reduce his strength, watch him thirst, go away
>for three hours and wow, come kill him.

You use the word dumb entirely too much, in game and out. Not everyone has an invoker and a healer. If you're saying the only method we have to deal with berserkers is uber ganks then don't complain when we do exactly that. Stoneskin, aura, shield, haste and everything else are limited, they take up inventory space and get stolen by thieves. Weren't you just complaining about losing your spare weapons? Difference is there's a whole lot less you can do to stop thieves from taking stoneskin, aura, etc. They're also not always in. Having played many chars I can say that the majority of people do not have all of what you mentioned on them at the same time and its called not being anal.

As for parry, dodge, shieldblock, etc, maybe we should take away spellbane because you can save against spells. Yeah, you can parry a deathblow, or you could fail parry and lose half your health if you aren't prepped out the ass.

As for reducing his strength, that's possible now that there are changes to bloodthirst, assuming of course there are no defenders around and the rager is an idiot that is. If you leave a rager thirsting and come back you're pretty much guaranteed to find them hiding inside the village like usual.

>
>These are all just off the top of my head and I'm a ####ty
>player, so I'm sure a genius like you can come up with more
>and better ways to prep for deathblow and thirst and all that
>jazz.

And somehow you can't figure out how to deal with winged nightwalkers. Come on now.

>
>>>None of that can be said about this particular scion power.
>>>It's entirely without drawback and it is impossible to
>>defend
>>>against by most of the people who are required to fight the
>>>cabal. Worse, it renders a success against all the scion
>>>actual players a loss.
>>
>>
>>Hahahaha! Let's see, I guess as Johnny Berserker, dropping
>>all my 'preps' off in the battle cabal before raiding is out
>>of the question. Food and water is hard to come by.
>>
>
>No doubt you think you're funny talking about 'preps' and a
>villager. Ha, ha, ha. Sadly you're also stupid. A rager
>depends on his weapons like everyone else, and needs them to
>go do that little raid. So when he leaves them all in the
>village he goes and does what, use profanity against the scion
>defenders and archmage?

He listed tons of ways to avoid getting your weapons stolen. One option is to *gasp* use non-limited weapons to raid Scion.

>
>>Hmmm, well I suppose I could always raid during the day when
>a
>>portal CAN'T be called. Nah...too easy, and that says I
>have
>>a defeatist attitude towards the whole thing!
>>
>
>Except they last into the day after they have been called -
>the scepter was stolen during daylight hours.

So go during the day. They don't keep one permanently there usually. 'Where' is overpowered.

>
>>What's this? Small nightwalkers that steal are the most rare
>>thing to come out of the portal, with an even worse chance
>of
>>coming if they aren't being called by a leader, and
>generally
>>fail?? Well, still, unfair says I! I could really lessen
>the
>>chance of the scepter getting stolen by doing a couple very
>>easy things (wait, if the steals are random, you mean I
>could
>>fill up my inventory with berry pies and reduce the chance
>of
>>the Scepter being stolen! Pshaw!), including not hanging
>>around to full loot the Scion pit, but hey, to the victor go
>>the spoils and I have every right to sit here for 10 minutes
>>sorting through loot!
>>
>
>Most rare? Ok, but that just means the others are constant and
>numerous because the "most rare" one always happens when I
>raid. And all of the inventory is stolen. And only rarely
>does it fail and step from the shadows. And the most recent
>time it was called by Mendoza who is not a leader and all the
>inventory was stolen and the scepter as well after the
>archmage died, despite leaving as fast as possible - the pit
>was empty. And no, I can't lessen it by doing some easy
>things. Some of us don't have the inventory of an arial. We
>have lower dex. And even so it steals the entire inventory, so
>it doesn't matter. You just don't want to accept that.

This is the most idiotic thread I've seen in my life to date.

>
>>I guess with all my crappy berserker insta
>>haste/deathblow/sanc/infinite movement/cure blindness
>powers,
>>I'll just go back to my norecall shrine and sit by my sick
>>inner guardian that has the best cabal guardian abilities,
>>twice the hp, and innate dam redux and pay the priest to
>>uncurse some stuff for me. Woe is I!!
>>
>
>Except... not. Doofus.

Way to go, why don't you take his milk money now?

MoridinThu 21-Apr-05 05:16 PM
77 posts
#8373, "If you can't think of..."
In response to Reply #12

the one sure fire way to keep something from being stolen from you. Well, you need to do some more thinking. I agree the little thieving bastards are a pain in the ass, and if you can't do the particular thing I'm thinking of with the scepter and they can still steal it, that blows. But what I'm thinking about is a really, really easy work around, and if you think of it, and it works, you'll feel silly.

MekantosWed 20-Apr-05 01:54 PM
796 posts
#8342, "I like this guy. -nt-"
In response to Reply #9

jaynusThu 21-Apr-05 11:59 PM
139 posts
#8376, "Play a rager then come back and say that -nt"
In response to Reply #9

f

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #8319 Previous topic | Next topic