Subject: "War Banners" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74549
Show all folders

Orc (Anonymous)Sun 27-Jun-21 09:50 AM
Charter member
#74549, "War Banners"

Hello,

An idea to make this place more user friendly. In the past, I have refused to make war banners out of people's corpses when things were in it, and I am missing out on a lot of added benefits from doing so, since they would destroy likes half of the person's thing, and I don't want to be that kind of griefer.

Can we change the code that in order to prevent destroying items, it would simply make you need to repair them? A lot of other things that destroy items had been removed for this reason.

Thanks for your consideration.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply I like this idea or no effect on equipment. (n/t), rex spangler, 29-Jun-21 08:17 PM, #13
Reply I'm personally against this too, you're pitching an OOC..., Cointreau, 28-Jun-21 09:29 PM, #12
Reply RE: War Banners, Jormyr, 28-Jun-21 03:58 AM, #8
Reply RE: War Banners, Orc (Anonymous), 28-Jun-21 05:29 PM, #11
Reply RE: War Banners, Jhyrbian, 27-Jun-21 01:36 PM, #3
Reply RE: War Banners, Orc (Anonymous), 27-Jun-21 03:02 PM, #5
     Reply RE: War Banners, Jhyrbian, 27-Jun-21 05:40 PM, #6
          Reply RE: War Banners, Orc (Anonymous), 27-Jun-21 11:16 PM, #7
               Reply RE: War Banners, Jhyrbian, 28-Jun-21 06:04 AM, #9
                    Reply RE: War Banners, Orc (Anonymous), 28-Jun-21 05:05 PM, #10
Reply I think the whole point.., Lhydia, 27-Jun-21 11:41 AM, #1
     Reply RE: I think the whole point.., Orc (Anonymous), 27-Jun-21 12:08 PM, #2
          Reply Chiming in to support your idea., Calion, 27-Jun-21 01:48 PM, #4

rex spanglerTue 29-Jun-21 08:17 PM
Member since 17th Jun 2018
95 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74562, "I like this idea or no effect on equipment. (n/t)"
In response to Reply #0

text

CointreauMon 28-Jun-21 09:29 PM
Member since 20th Nov 2004
300 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#74561, "I'm personally against this too, you're pitching an OOC..."
In response to Reply #0

IC of course the Orc is going to do it every single time, it doesn't make sense not to.

OOC I'm being as #### and as a player I'll need to make this call everytime which will make me feel guilty either way (i.e. be a #### or break role).

JormyrMon 28-Jun-21 03:58 AM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
417 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74557, "RE: War Banners"
In response to Reply #0

I believe I've mentioned this at one point, and it was very intentional.

If it really bothers you that much, why not just wait until after they loot the corpse, or get all/drop all to empty it, THEN make the war banner? The skill works just fine on an empty corpse.

Orc (Anonymous)Mon 28-Jun-21 05:29 PM
Charter member
#74560, "RE: War Banners"
In response to Reply #8

I was just mentioning the usefulness of a banner made from a corpse with things versus with it not (as they are quite different banners in how good vs bad they are). I am pretty sure this skill was made when we had a player base of over 50 people, and full loot was more common as well as broken weapons destroyed weapons, dent destroyed armor and acid blast destroyed items. I was just mentioning it as it seems that this was overlooked, but if people would rather this be left to destroy things, then so be it.

JhyrbianSun 27-Jun-21 01:36 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
917 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74552, "RE: War Banners"
In response to Reply #0

I kind of like that there's a downside to getting those benefits you mentioned. The downside is people will hate you.

Orc (Anonymous)Sun 27-Jun-21 03:02 PM
Charter member
#74554, "RE: War Banners"
In response to Reply #3

And just avoid fighting you at all by logging off all the time. Makes for a boring game that way.

JhyrbianSun 27-Jun-21 05:40 PM
917 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74555, "RE: War Banners"
In response to Reply #5

if people quit logging in because they're afraid of warbanner they would find a million other reasons to not login if it was changed.

Orc (Anonymous)Sun 27-Jun-21 11:16 PM
Charter member
#74556, "RE: War Banners"
In response to Reply #6

It's just like no one want to do the treasure hunt in the Sands for their equipment, or anything else. Not necessarily logout, but avoid fighting since it is not enjoyable.

On the flip side, I as a player don't enjoy a full or half sac of items, so I won't make a warbanner and take the hit on having a war banner that isn't as good since made without items. I was just suggesting a compromise in that it breaks the items. It is still a pain to get gold to repair it, but not as bad as trying to get that equipment back that you can't get alone.

Also, other people who have not played orcs often, may not realize that war banner destroys things and often get people pissed at them for taking half their stuff they can't use, but most the time the orcs have no clue what happened.

Personally think it is stupid to have it destroy half a person random things, but we are obviously in disagreement there.

JhyrbianMon 28-Jun-21 06:04 AM
917 posts
#74558, "RE: War Banners"
In response to Reply #7

is it half of their eq or are you being hyperbolic to fit your narrative?

Orc (Anonymous)Mon 28-Jun-21 05:05 PM
Charter member
#74559, "RE: War Banners"
In response to Reply #9

I don't count the pieces not do I have any idea how many get incorporated into the banner, but just believe what the victims say. So maybe it is a little and people blow it up. Only was mentioning it here, but apparently people would rather have crap destroyed instead of repaired, so be it.

LhydiaSun 27-Jun-21 11:41 AM
2377 posts
#74550, "I think the whole point.."
In response to Reply #0

..of the war banner is you are flouting your skills by taking your opponents shinies as trophies and plastering them along with his flesh and head on a stick.

Not sure how breaking the objects wont make them trophies for your banner or why they'd be left in the corpse.

Better just to ask they remove the looting completely and have them use body parts from the corpse.

Not as flashy though.

Orc (Anonymous)Sun 27-Jun-21 12:08 PM
Charter member
#74551, "RE: I think the whole point.."
In response to Reply #1

You can incorporate items from their corpse such as ripping off the diamond from the leggings, taking the tips off the weapons, taking jewels off the various trinkets. Would not think the banner needs the equipment as a whole and destroying the weapons to incorporate into banner as see fit works as well and would still show dominance. You can also now just use corpse as well, but not as powerful. The game mechanics now just encourage being a jerk if you want a more powerful banner. Like I said most of the other skills went to broken instead of destroyed, figure this one should.

CalionSun 27-Jun-21 01:48 PM
367 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74553, "Chiming in to support your idea."
In response to Reply #2

Though I think it should only break a couple of items at most, given the steep prices for repairing at a merchant. Or personally I'd prefer it used only the corpse (improved compared to current version, ideally proportional to the deathfullness of the victim).

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74549 Previous topic | Next topic