Subject: "Seaweed and Magic" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74531
Show all folders

LhydiaFri 21-May-21 05:23 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2379 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74531, "Seaweed and Magic"

A big talking point on any forums or discord that comes up when discussing what is/isn't magic with regards to Ragers is seaweed.

Search any topic about ragers and magic use whether it is complaining or general questions and 'seaweed is water breathing and is okay' will be found somewhere.

There is some seaweed in the game that is actually a pill instead of food that is considered magic in a very common newbie area that will prevent new players from joining the Village because it is not consistent with the seaweed not being magical in every other area. Villagers not being allowed to use magic pre-induct.

Would it be possible to implement consistency with regards to this very common non-magic/magic prep?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Seaweed and Magic, Jarmel, 22-May-21 06:07 AM, #6
Reply Okay., Lhydia, 22-May-21 07:35 AM, #7
Reply RE: Seaweed and Magic, Ishuli, 21-May-21 06:56 PM, #1
     Reply Pffft, Lhydia, 21-May-21 07:36 PM, #2
          Reply RE: Pffft, Ishuli, 21-May-21 07:50 PM, #3
               Reply RE: Pffft, Lhydia, 21-May-21 08:26 PM, #4
                    Reply As far as contentious gameplay issues go..., Aithiar, 22-May-21 01:12 AM, #5

JarmelSat 22-May-21 06:07 AM
Member since 19th Jul 2015
375 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74537, "RE: Seaweed and Magic"
In response to Reply #0

When in doubt read the help files:
"help seaweed"
Seaweed, while technically a 'pill' in some forms, grants the ability to
breathe water and is not considered to be magical in nature. Therans do
not find this property any more unusual than a toxic mushroom poisoning
its consumer.

Doing a quick search netted me this as well, which shows that has been in the help files from atleast 2005.
http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=8504&mesg_id=8505&page=

LhydiaSat 22-May-21 07:35 AM
2379 posts
#74538, "Okay."
In response to Reply #6

I'll go into more detail about why I made this post later.

IshuliFri 21-May-21 06:56 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2146 posts
#74532, "RE: Seaweed and Magic"
In response to Reply #0

It doesn't prevent anyone (including newbies) from joining Battleragers as far as I know.

While sure, I'd like to make it consistent - it's not a high priority since I don't see it causing any actual damage.

LhydiaFri 21-May-21 07:36 PM
2379 posts
#74533, "Pffft"
In response to Reply #1

I’m sure once they find out imm induct is their only option because they thought they weren’t using magic they will totally see having to wait for that as an undaunting task. That’s if they even realize the leaders are saying they won’t be inducted because of that.

Figured it was an easy fix in just changing an item tag, nevermind then.

IshuliFri 21-May-21 07:50 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2146 posts
#74534, "RE: Pffft"
In response to Reply #2

It shouldn't trigger anything that causes the need for immortal induction.

LhydiaFri 21-May-21 08:26 PM
2379 posts
#74535, "RE: Pffft"
In response to Reply #3

Oooh. That is interesting to read, thanks.

AithiarSat 22-May-21 01:01 AM
Member since 26th Mar 2017
73 posts
#74536, "As far as contentious gameplay issues go..."
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Sat 22-May-21 01:12 AM

..."Seaweed & Ragers" is among the oldest in CF's history and stands as the cute little sister to the "Deathblow" polemics. Players have (loudly) debated them since I came onboard twenty years ago or so, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the First and Second Age'rs remember these arguments going back to '97, or earlier.

At this point, I'd say leave both as is. Then again, "Mongoose" really did get "fixed". Eventually.

Edited to add: Turned "little brother" into "cute little sister".

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74531 Previous topic | Next topic