Subject: "Paladin call lighting" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74422
Show all folders

A concern paladin (Anonymous)Thu 31-Dec-20 06:52 PM
Charter member
#74422, "Paladin call lighting"

for as long as i can remember, my paladins have been able to call lightning in any weather conditions.

recently it’s started failing based on weather...

did something change?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Correction., Umiron, 01-Jan-21 09:31 PM, #11
Reply Would you consider.., Lhydia, 02-Jan-21 05:29 PM, #12
Reply What room did you get it recently?, Ranil (Anonymous), 01-Jan-21 10:25 AM, #9
Reply Nevermind - seems like it is all over the place now., Ranil (Anonymous), 01-Jan-21 05:29 PM, #10
Reply RE: Paladin call lighting, Umiron, 31-Dec-20 07:24 PM, #2
Reply RE: Paladin call lighting, Lhydia, 31-Dec-20 07:37 PM, #3
     Reply RE: Paladin call lighting, Umiron, 31-Dec-20 07:49 PM, #4
          Reply RE: Paladin call lighting, Lhydia, 31-Dec-20 07:55 PM, #5
          Reply Dunno., Umiron, 31-Dec-20 08:02 PM, #6
               Reply RE: Dunno., Lhydia, 31-Dec-20 08:04 PM, #7
          Reply Before that., Java, 01-Jan-21 08:25 AM, #8
Reply RE: Paladin call lighting, Lhydia, 31-Dec-20 07:18 PM, #1

UmironFri 01-Jan-21 09:31 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74433, "Correction."
In response to Reply #0

First, the 'bad' news: Call Lightning currently works as designed/intended.

It turns out I indirectly fixed CL recently while addressing some new compiler warnings. In this case, the affected code (outside the spell itself) was not properly gating some code around an edge like it should have.

I thought I posted something on the bug board for all of the cases that were likely to have gameplay implications, but evidently I missed one.

Note: this had/has nothing to do with Paladins but rather CL in general.

LhydiaSat 02-Jan-21 05:29 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2379 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74435, "Would you consider.."
In response to Reply #11

changing it back?

There isn't a tonnage of call lightning kills as is and requiring another edge just to maintain some semblance of 'going to back to how things used to be' is bleh. Edges are already beat down enough with classes that require a number of them to compete.

Ranil (Anonymous)Fri 01-Jan-21 10:25 AM
Charter member
#74431, "What room did you get it recently?"
In response to Reply #0

I bug boarded this yesterday, but I saw the same message about the weather and thought it was weird, so I looked through logs and found that is was only in one specific room every time I saw it. For others that have seen it, did it happen to be the redhorn gate? Wondering if it is less a change to the commune overall and more something unique to that room, maybe around the time of the crack there being altered or something like that.

Ranil (Anonymous)Fri 01-Jan-21 05:29 PM
Charter member
#74432, "Nevermind - seems like it is all over the place now."
In response to Reply #9

Before I had only seen it in the one room, now I am seeing it all over the place.

UmironThu 31-Dec-20 07:24 PM
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74424, "RE: Paladin call lighting"
In response to Reply #0

>

LhydiaThu 31-Dec-20 07:37 PM
2379 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74425, "RE: Paladin call lighting"
In response to Reply #2

Doesn't really change the fact that if call lightning is now relying on weather it has been changed recently.

UmironThu 31-Dec-20 07:49 PM
1495 posts
#74426, "RE: Paladin call lighting"
In response to Reply #3

Call lightning has been dependent on proper "weather conditions" (caveat: there's an edge for that) since late 2011.

LhydiaThu 31-Dec-20 07:51 PM
2379 posts
#74427, "RE: Paladin call lighting"
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Thu 31-Dec-20 07:55 PM

That's not true though. Paladin call lightning has not depended on weather for forever, unless it's a recent change. Maybe it was a change because of a different change and it just kicked in, but that doesn't change the fact it hasn't been weather dependent.

The edge literally only changed the damage type to holy.

UmironThu 31-Dec-20 08:02 PM
1495 posts
#74428, "Dunno."
In response to Reply #5

Not a single other line of code in spell_call_lightning has changed in the past few years.

If someone things there's a bug at play they can report it and we'll take a look.

LhydiaThu 31-Dec-20 08:04 PM
2379 posts
#74429, "RE: Dunno."
In response to Reply #6

Okay thanks. Not trying to be argumentative just saying it was explained that paladin call lightning has always been holy and not weather based. I think I brought this up when the edge came out but was told it only changed damage to divine. Sounds like something just got 'fixed' if the original intent was to have it weather based.

JavaFri 01-Jan-21 08:25 AM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#74430, "Before that."
In response to Reply #4

I have logs as far back as 2008 of call lightning failing due to weather. Echo was "The weather is not bad enough for lightning." Also found a couple that said "It is too cold for lightning.", so.. yeah.

Haven't found any logs after 2011 with those echoes though besides very recently, but most of mine are on a different computer so I'll check later.

Possible it was a bug that happened to make it no longer affected by weather, that was inadvertently fixed recently?

LhydiaThu 31-Dec-20 07:18 PM
2379 posts
#74423, "RE: Paladin call lighting"
In response to Reply #0

I discussed this forever ago and the stance was 'paladins dont require weather because they are smiting with holy power', not sure if it has changed though. If it has its another nail in the paladin coffin.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74422 Previous topic | Next topic