Subject: "Increasing retention via e-mail integration" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74337
Show all folders

Necro (Anonymous)Thu 22-Oct-20 05:02 AM
Charter member
#74337, "Increasing retention via e-mail integration"

Hello there.

This is a very simple idea which could improve characters lifespan and, as well, increase retention rate (and, I am positive, significantly). So, how it works work:

1. Character types his email, like 'email example@gmail.com";
2. He starts to receive ingame notes to all, to himself, and if he is in a cabal - notes to cabal;
3. He receives notes of coming-soon eq purge (just a thought, not necessary, maybe even not a good idea);
4. He receives autodeletion warnings (important, imho);
5. When character deletes, email is purged from the mailing list.

Perhaps there could be others types of emails. From the coding aspect, it's easy to implement (and you already have a mail server with regular emails sending so it's only backend+smtp integration, which should be simple).

I would expect at least 70% open rate, with retention increased up to 30%. Subjective, of course.

Cheers!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply I think this is a great idea. nt, Artificial, 10-Nov-20 10:52 PM, #8
Reply Why not just actually play the game? nt, robdarken_, 23-Oct-20 06:12 PM, #5
Reply Again, Necro (Anonymous), 25-Oct-20 04:47 AM, #6
Reply RE: Increasing retention via e-mail integration, Jhyrbian, 22-Oct-20 06:07 AM, #1
     Reply Different target audience, Necro (Anonymous), 23-Oct-20 04:01 AM, #2
          Reply RE: Different target audience, Jhyrbian, 23-Oct-20 06:19 AM, #3
               Reply Sorry, Necro (Anonymous), 23-Oct-20 08:25 AM, #4
                    Reply It's not a bad idea, lasentia, 30-Oct-20 02:04 PM, #7

ArtificialTue 10-Nov-20 10:52 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74366, "I think this is a great idea. nt"
In response to Reply #0

nt

robdarken_Fri 23-Oct-20 06:12 PM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
373 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#74342, "Why not just actually play the game? nt"
In response to Reply #0

nt

Necro (Anonymous)Sun 25-Oct-20 04:47 AM
Charter member
#74343, "Again"
In response to Reply #5

It is not for those who are playing the game. It is for those that are leaving/forgettings/losing interest/burns out, to return them into the game and keep them hooked. It is called retention factor, and the higher it is, the better for the game (and, likely, worse for the players who can't get out because of a high retention factor).

JhyrbianThu 22-Oct-20 06:07 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
917 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74338, "RE: Increasing retention via e-mail integration"
In response to Reply #0

this doesn't seem easier than just rolling a level 1 and typing note in game.

Necro (Anonymous)Fri 23-Oct-20 04:01 AM
Charter member
#74339, "Different target audience"
In response to Reply #1

It is, because you can read emails on your smartphone, smartwatch and you don't need to login to the game and create a 1st lvl character that will not read cabal/personal notes anyways. Furthermore, this mechanics is not for those who are ready and willing to login and create a 1st lvl characters, they are retended already. This is for those that are forgetting about CF, to pull them back (increase retention %).

JhyrbianFri 23-Oct-20 06:19 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
917 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74340, "RE: Different target audience"
In response to Reply #2

It honestly sounds retarded.

Necro (Anonymous)Fri 23-Oct-20 08:25 AM
Charter member
#74341, "Sorry"
In response to Reply #3

...that you have too low IQ to understand how it would work and how it would keep players from forgettings/leaving/etc, and sorry that you are hijacking the thread with your desconstructive insulting comments. Grow up, baby.

lasentiaFri 30-Oct-20 02:04 PM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74346, "It's not a bad idea"
In response to Reply #4

Since it would only be for existing characters it would only be to get them to continue to log in, so really only a retention tool. It might be useful to some players to get a nudge about their existing characters (multi char players might have issues though depending on how it functions)

Some of the flaws to think about:
- gear lockers would know when anti hoarding is coming and log in to avoid it, which is bad. I don't think that would be a good notice specifically for the potential to abuse, and of course anyone who did not get a notice and saw the chromatic flames would get pissed. So that should not be a relevant notice, even though I know why it would be useful, especially for regular players who do something like go on vacation for a week and know they will have limited/no chance to play.

- I have to believe there would be a low opt in rate of people giving their email address to participate in this, but not sure how to incent people to do it, since I firmly believe any incentive here would be abusable. Maybe make it a time saver, like you get boots of pathfinding that crumble at level 10 or something.

- A reminder is fine, but too much spam annoys people. I would not want notes coming to my email for example. So maybe auto deletion in 7 day warning, or something to minimize just how many emails you get, but ensure you get a few ones to try and get them to log in.

- I think you would need a time frame after which emails come. If I log in regularly, I don't want my email getting stuff. So maybe it triggers after 7-10 days without a log in.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74337 Previous topic | Next topic