Subject: "Changing Classes After Character Creation" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74213
Show all folders

JDPSat 30-May-20 02:26 AM
Member since 30th May 2020
29 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74213, "Changing Classes After Character Creation"

Can this be done? Lets say a warrior finds he wants to learn magic, a thief no longer wants to steal so he becomes a warrior, etc.

Thanks for a great game.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Changing Classes After Character Creation, JDP, 02-Jun-20 03:42 PM, #6
Reply very arduous / limited success, Crs250, 01-Jun-20 10:21 PM, #3
Reply Someone else can correct me., Ishuli, 30-May-20 07:34 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Someone else can correct me., lasentia, 01-Jun-20 07:43 AM, #2
     Reply RE: Someone else can correct me., Rahsael, 02-Jun-20 12:13 PM, #4
          Reply I'll add, Rahsael, 02-Jun-20 12:16 PM, #5
               Reply Can you comment on the elven assassin that was in battl..., rex spangler, 03-Jun-20 08:09 AM, #7
                    Reply RE: Can you comment on the elven assassin that was in b..., Rahsael, 03-Jun-20 08:55 AM, #8

JDPTue 02-Jun-20 03:42 PM
Member since 30th May 2020
29 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74219, "RE: Changing Classes After Character Creation"
In response to Reply #0

Hey, thanks all for the replies. I was just curious if there was a process in place .

Crs250Mon 01-Jun-20 10:20 PM
Member since 26th Sep 2011
19 posts
#74216, "very arduous / limited success"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Mon 01-Jun-20 10:21 PM

I recall playing with a mage of some sort, a Necromancer, I think it was, who over the course of several hundred hours managed to be partially successful on this as a transition to a healer. Was granted skills and an advanced healing ability, never practiced any necro spells for RP reasons past level 5 or such or not at all. Never used them once his arc started. I believe the most powerful ability he received was something unique, Hand of Order? Hand of Light? Something like that, which resembled lay on hands. I was playing a paladin at the time, and we carried him pretty hard through leveling and the Fortress looked out for him heavily given the redemption arc. I believe he deleted, a bit frustrated about the length of time he had spent working at it, having only received that skill and maybe a few minor sups. This was around 2010. I am nearly positive his pbf was published, but I don't recall his name. He was trying both redemption and class change, so if you go that route, you truly need to be a complete masochist.

I also recall there was an experienced veteran player who tried to do a race/class combo that didnt exist at the time, but makes sense could exist, such as a Felar Paladin - One of the forum regulars, and essentially, the advice given to him was email with the imms first and check in because some race/class combos wont work in the code, or if they do work not as you might expect. Plus it's similar to a redemption arc, where you get what you get, when you get it and dont do it because you think there is synergy to that combo, because it's going to potentially have very significant limitations versus your vision of the race/class combo. Ie that felar paladin might not be able to be a monk or even have a dedication or gain virtues. Expect that you will start with massive disadvantages and need to RP above and beyond others in terms of quality, effort, and you may only achieve the goal at old age or for a very limited time in your last hours of life.

I dont think that vet I recall was successful, I think he was offered to go from what he was to a shaman, and that wasn't to his liking. Believe this occurred after Amaranthe's role contest in which she assigned out roles to several players, so around 2012?

IshuliSat 30-May-20 07:34 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2122 posts
#74214, "Someone else can correct me."
In response to Reply #0

Technically yes. Requires immortal work.

But it's pretty limited as to who can work on that with you.

I wouldn't suggest rolling a character around it as an arc, since it can be futzy and break'y, and the number of immortals who can partake in that are very limited.

Also wouldn't expect to get any of your practices back

-Ish

lasentiaMon 01-Jun-20 07:43 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74215, "RE: Someone else can correct me."
In response to Reply #1

I don't recall anyone ever doing this IC. The only one I really remember was Padwei going from human to storm giant.

I wonder if instead of going full class changes, could Imms remove and add skills to make people into a hybrid, one which naturally would not be as good as a pure version of either.

I always liked the ides of hybrid classes, but I think the coding work would be far far too much to implement. A Primary class and a secondary. Primary gets skills to maybe 40/45, lose some of the class defining skills though, and secondary adds maybe 5 low/middle tier skills from the class, with the same caveat. Course everyone would choose healer or bard as secondary for the buffs.

RahsaelTue 02-Jun-20 12:13 PM
Member since 05th May 2017
232 posts
#74217, "RE: Someone else can correct me."
In response to Reply #1

It would be smart to get immortal approval BEFORE rolling if you plan to do something crazy like that. It's not something I'd recommend and it will test your patience for the reasons above AND because it's not something we like to hand out or encourage in the vast majority of cases.

It's tough because we have to enforce norms (would good-aligned high elves be normal if 1/3 who rolled wanted to become evil? would evil drow be normal if everyone could become Drizzt?). But we also want to encourage creativity and make sure everyone's having fun.

I think there is plenty of fun to be had within norms. If you're really dead set on doing something different, ie changing classes, races, alignments, whatever, expect it to take a lot of patience and expect never to be quite the same/as powerful as if you simply rolled that way.

tldr you need to be a masochist to do this.

RahsaelTue 02-Jun-20 12:16 PM
232 posts
#74218, "I'll add"
In response to Reply #4

There has been an unusual amount of this going on lately and that's going to force us to be a little extra strict, probably. Fair warning to anyone who is daydreaming about an elven necromancer.

rex spanglerWed 03-Jun-20 08:09 AM
Member since 17th Jun 2018
95 posts
#74220, "Can you comment on the elven assassin that was in battl..."
In response to Reply #5

In-character they said they used to be a healer. It looks like they made it to the later 30's rank and then disappeared.

RahsaelWed 03-Jun-20 08:55 AM
232 posts
#74221, "RE: Can you comment on the elven assassin that was in b..."
In response to Reply #7

Pretty sure that person emailed us first and the character was pre-approved. Keep in mind the vast majority of such proposals are denied.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74213 Previous topic | Next topic