Subject: "Forever terrible" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74109
Show all folders

Bad Player (Anonymous)Mon 20-Apr-20 10:38 PM
Charter member
#74109, "Forever terrible"

I've played this game a lot over the years and have always just been completely horrible and I don't know how to get better.

I almost never score a pk. Even in the matchups that are completely in my favor I'm unable to even hold my own let alone get a kill. In the past I've been able to focus on RP and just deal with being useless at PK, but I'm finding that unsatisfying at this point. I don't expect to be a renowned badass but I should at least be able to go 35%.

Without giving away who I am it's hard to give specifics, but it's becoming frustrating, because I don't know what I can do differently. One thing is I just don't understand how people mitigate damage so well. Even as a class with excellent defenses or heavy dam redux I'm forced to flee in 5 or 6 rounds and am nowhere near winning at that time. People typically kill me at almost perfect health.

So I don't know what exactly I'm asking for here sinceI haven't given much of a hook for advice but at the moment the idea of logging in is just not appealing.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Roll a Sylvan ranger, sunshine9, 05-May-20 12:02 PM, #19
Reply RE: Forever terrible, Beaker62, 03-May-20 09:39 AM, #18
Reply RE: Forever terrible, lasentia, 22-Apr-20 12:16 PM, #15
Reply Thanks and specific question, Bad Player (Anonymous), 21-Apr-20 09:55 PM, #11
Reply Orcs seem to do a decent job, rex spangler, 22-Apr-20 03:45 PM, #16
Reply Venom Shaman, Cointreau, 22-Apr-20 07:56 PM, #17
Reply shaman, Aja (Anonymous), 05-May-20 03:19 PM, #20
Reply There is no answer on the question "What should i do ov..., Sekpak, 21-Apr-20 07:30 PM, #10
Reply Ghost town, Valkenar, 21-Apr-20 10:00 PM, #12
     Reply There are so many messages there that i never read hist..., Sekpak, 22-Apr-20 05:40 AM, #13
          Reply Right you are, Valkenar, 22-Apr-20 07:08 AM, #14
Reply RE: Forever terrible, Grouchy Old Bastard (Anonymous), 21-Apr-20 07:11 PM, #9
Reply As much advice as I can give, Rahsael, 21-Apr-20 06:22 PM, #7
Reply RE: Forever terrible, Igsoeh, 21-Apr-20 05:17 PM, #6
Reply I think this is why there should be more transparency i..., rex spangler, 21-Apr-20 08:28 AM, #5
Reply I think limited preps need to be re-worked, Cointreau, 21-Apr-20 06:50 PM, #8
Reply RE: Forever terrible, Nalasul, 21-Apr-20 08:03 AM, #4
Reply RE: Forever terrible, Jhyrbian, 21-Apr-20 07:54 AM, #3
Reply Roll a cookie cutter, Sertius, 21-Apr-20 01:03 AM, #2
Reply RE: Forever terrible, Not An Imm, 20-Apr-20 11:38 PM, #1

sunshine9Tue 05-May-20 11:47 AM
Member since 12th Jan 2020
29 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74167, "Roll a Sylvan ranger"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Tue 05-May-20 12:02 PM

Roll a felar ranger .. get a decent spear. Enchant it 10x. Camo, creep, waylay, bearcharge, call lightning.. Prep with enlarge. You're a killing machine if thats what you want.

Beaker62Sun 03-May-20 09:39 AM
Member since 21st Apr 2020
9 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74165, "RE: Forever terrible"
In response to Reply #0

I went through a phase something like this. I rolled up a human warrior chaotic evil and was something like 11 and 1 in pk's by rank 20. I hated the character and went back to goodies because if I am going to be in a fantasy I want to be the hero not the goat. Now, I get 5-20 solo kills per long lived character and am fine dying with grace. I am too old now to change and this is fine by me. I still get pissed when I get ganked or worse murdered by the self-reliant. But I get over it and play on. So, if you really want to be a murder pk'er it is not too difficult as long as you use cunning, corpse loot a hero or two and pick on the newbies. At hero you just need to hang out with the cool kids when they go looking for the phat loot for a couple of characters and learn the secret gear/places.

lasentiaWed 22-Apr-20 12:16 PM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74136, "RE: Forever terrible"
In response to Reply #0

I was terrible too. I still am most likely.
But, when I played CF I did have a well known niche that I played, and I usually had moderate success with it.

That to me is the best advice I can give. The people who are terrible at CF are people who play something different every time, and reroll every 100 or so hours. You don't learn the ins and outs of a build in that amount of time, and unless you are really attentive to how other players play builds, you can only get so much through observation of others. And fighting a giant sword spec depends on what build you are playing, so you may have a base, but there is always a learning curve to a new class/build.

The reason I became average in PK was because I played the same class repeatedly, and learned how to do it well. The true vets can learn and adapt builds fairly easily at this point because they have a deep well of knowledge. That always felt more like work than fun for me, which is why I have always sucked at any build that was not a bard. Even if I know in theory how to make other builds work, I never had the patience for the execution of them.

So my advice is find something you really enjoy playing. Play it. Con die. Do it again. Con die. Do it again. Age die.

By char 2 things should get easier and you'll start holding your own, because everything won't be as new, and you'll adapt more quickly as your comfort level with the build's strengths and weaknesses grows. By the third time, you should be so fluid with the build that you won't make as many mistakes, you'll know how to gear and prep, and most importantly, how to fight others. You'll realize most opponents follow that same tactics for the same builds, so after seeing them a few time, they should be easier to fight.

For me, it was bards. Find one that works for you that you enjoy and start there. Just pick something that has moderate PK potential.

Bad Player (Anonymous)Tue 21-Apr-20 09:55 PM
Charter member
#74121, "Thanks and specific question"
In response to Reply #0

Is there any build that can pick on villagers without ridiculous prepping? I basically rolled shaman because I thought it would be good for killing villagers, but I still got killed in 4 rounds through big dam redux while they saved vs everything.

rex spanglerWed 22-Apr-20 03:45 PM
Member since 17th Jun 2018
95 posts
#74139, "Orcs seem to do a decent job"
In response to Reply #11

That doesn't mean they can kill every villager, but they do better than most builds in my opinion.

Shaman is a good build against villagers that don't have good saves. Level difference between shaman and villager is also big factor. Then there is always the random number generator, which can have huge effects on the outcome.

No matter what build, you'll have to practice when to fight and when to run.

CointreauWed 22-Apr-20 07:56 PM
Member since 20th Nov 2004
300 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#74142, "Venom Shaman"
In response to Reply #11

Or as they said, can't beat 'em? Join 'em.

Ragers are great for learning PK.

Aja (Anonymous)Tue 05-May-20 03:19 PM
Charter member
#74168, "shaman"
In response to Reply #11

Yes, I know you feel like you failed at shaman, but a shaman's fight style is one of attrition. Do not ever, ever stand toe to toe with a berserker if he can hit you. Hit and run. Hit them with prayers and then bugger off to heal, then slip in again.

Damage reduction may help, but a villager is designed to either burst through damage reduction as a berserker/scout or wear you down as a defender. Your maladicting prayers will help, of course, but don't forget you can attack their mana or moves. Jab, flee and recover, jab, flee and recover. Most shaman wage a fight of a thousand cuts, and only a few shaman in superb gear, damage reduction, and lots of immortal boons are going to eat three deathblows and shrug it off.

SekpakTue 21-Apr-20 07:29 PM
Member since 22nd Aug 2019
19 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74119, "There is no answer on the question "What should i do ov..."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Tue 21-Apr-20 07:30 PM

Best of all login into cf discord and ask many little questions about how to pk and prepare for pk, such as "What to do if it or that happens?".

Also keep in mind that best builds for a strong players are very different from the best builds for a more newbie players. For example a newbie will never make an elf stsf dagger spec shine, while many more experienced players can do it with easy.

I'd suggest to begin with very easy class - like human assassin and very easy cabal - like Fortress. Don't hurry anywhere, level sit at level 25 before you kill a dozen or two enemies. Ask your cabalmates for help, such as where to get this or that, what to do in different situations and so on. And most important - socialize and make as many ic friends as possible. It's the fastest way to learn all preps etc.

ValkenarTue 21-Apr-20 10:00 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1203 posts
#74123, "Ghost town"
In response to Reply #10
Edited on Tue 21-Apr-20 10:00 PM

>Best of all login into cf discord and ask many little
>questions about how to pk and prepare for pk, such as "What to
>do if it or that happens?".

Just logged into discord, nobody has said anything about CF in two days. Doesn't seem like a good resource.

SekpakWed 22-Apr-20 05:40 AM
Member since 22nd Aug 2019
19 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74130, "There are so many messages there that i never read hist..."
In response to Reply #12

I don't know, maybe you are in unofficial discord?

ValkenarWed 22-Apr-20 07:08 AM
1203 posts
#74131, "Right you are"
In response to Reply #13

Was confused.

Grouchy Old Bastard (Anonymous)Tue 21-Apr-20 07:11 PM
Charter member
#74118, "RE: Forever terrible"
In response to Reply #0

So, give or take 23 years ago I felt the same way.

I went on to be highly lethal, quit repeatedly, returned repeatedly, and most recently came back after more than 12-14 yeas away. Since returning I have NOT been particularly impressive in any way shape or form

I will say that it's a LOT harder now. The basic level of the player base has gotten a lot higher, there are more areas to learn, more preps to learn, more skills, etc.

The player base as a whole is more conservative.

You also get less "at bats" -- when there were 200 people on, there were 2-3 ranking groups in your pk range, some dude or two off practicing skills, and a couple of level sitting PKers after you all the time. These days there can be entire log-on sessions where I don't cross paths with the couple of people in pk range.

All of that said, yes, it's harder... but!

The first step is the same.

Study your losses. If not this character, than the one before.

Commit 50 hours to playing EXACTLY what beat you. EXACTLY the way they beat you. Learn what beats them. Rinse, repeat. Over time you will know more in muscle memory, and have a better grasp of dynamics.

If you play exactly what stomped you AND do what they did in combat with you... you'll get some kills. But you'll also see how to counter it, etc. It's a process, enjoy the process

RahsaelTue 21-Apr-20 06:18 PM
Member since 05th May 2017
232 posts
#74116, "As much advice as I can give"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Tue 21-Apr-20 06:22 PM

The best advice I have is to get into the head of your opponent.

That means:

- Knowing what they're capable of:
A giant polearm spec isn't going to be able to surprise you like a giant sword spec would. However, you'd want a high wimpy when fighting a giant sword spec because it might let you survive a big flurry, whereas a high wimpy against a giant polearm spec would get you killed.
A STSF elf generally isn't great at dishing out or handling burst damage. If you can't do a lot of burst damage to a dexy STSF warrior, you'd best get away. Good news is, it's very unlikely they'd be able to permalag you or kill you unless you over-commit.
Druids and shamans and necromancers, etc. often want to drain you until you can't move or cast. Keep an eye on your moves as well as your HP as you fight.
Try to have an idea of what their strategy would be against you. What is your worst-case scenario? How would they make that happen? If you see them doing all of the things to make that nightmare scenario come to life, gtfo and be careful against them in the future because they're crafty!

- Knowing what you're capable of:
What would have to happen for you to win this fight? Do you need to make a sword spec drop a weapon to stop them from parrying so much? Are they tank-gods with noremove weapons that need to eat a bunch of burst damage outside of combat? Are they ABS-addicted mages who you need to lag to high heavens? As a general rule, you either need to nuke the melee abilities of a really strong melee character or lag and damage non-melee characters.

- Having a Plan B:
Before you start fighting, what is your escape plan? Can you outrun them? Is your escape potion in your inventory? Can they curse you? Do you have a teleport? If you have to run, could they have you trapped by quicksand or centurions or a snare or friends waiting outside?

- Picking Your Battles:
If everybody you fight is always prepped, that means that they're the ones who decided to fight you, not the other way around.

If you get attacked by uber-prepper warrior, run away, wait a bit, then try to rush them 12 hours later when they haven't had a chance to stack all of that damage reduction or mentally prepare for a fight. You can turn those tables!

In sum, you should:
> Know what your enemy can do to you, and probably wants to do to you
> Know what you can and should do to your enemy
> Have a pretty well-conceived escape plan in mind
> If they're running at you, it is probably because they think they're readier than you are. And if they are, run away and re-engage when it's even or you have the advantage.

Edit to add: There are preps in several hometowns. There are a couple of areas that also grant reliable access to certain powerful preps. If you don't know what I'm talking about, try asking around in-game. You're bound to find someone who will show you some secret stuff.

Even so, I'm lazy and my warriors almost never rock the more rare and powerful preps that others seem to. Strategy usually beats prepping, within reason.

IgsoehTue 21-Apr-20 05:17 PM
200 posts
#74115, "RE: Forever terrible"
In response to Reply #0

I'll chime in a little. Caveat, I've never been a great PK'er, but I did have some relative success with a few characters. Uhgtohg, Odrallag, and Zaahir are probably the three most successful PK characters I've had (all sword spec RBW if you're keeping track) I'd also consider Ahmahrohtar a PK success despite the numbers.

For a long time, I had the same problem you appear to be having. I'd have these great roles, and I'd build a character thinking, I'd covered all the necessary elements, and then I'd get my ass kicked, alot. I can con-die a character with the best of them. In fact probably better than anyone but Shamanman, but I digress.

What changed it for me is the realization that in order to PK more effectively, I had to actually consider the mechanics when I played. Because you mentioned it, let's talk mitigating damage, as an example.

Things that have to be considered (not in any order):
Race
Vulnerabilities
Weapon (or spell) damage-type
Weapon material
Your skill in their weapon
Your defensive skills
Your defensive preps
Their offensive preps
Their damroll
Your ac
Their spells and skills
Your saves

There are others too. My point here is, you have to start thinking with all of these variables from a mechanics standpoint, and that's just to address how much damage they are doing to you. We haven't even begun to talk about your offense, terrain, lag, maledictions, tactics, etc. It's a ridiculously complicated mess.

I had to start thinking about little things like how many characters of each command is the minimum that needs to be entered to trigger it. Lots of people memorize paths from when place to another, but I started thinking about those paths as attack or escape routes.

It's a mindset shift you have to make in how you play, and it can't be as shallow as, that's supposed to be a good build, or I should win that because x is better than y.

Honestly, it sucks a certain amount of fun out of things for me personally. Most of that lost fun is replaced by winning more fights, some of them in rather epic fashion, but the enjoyment I got from the immersion aspect went down. I'm sure it's different for everyone.

Anyways, my two cents, as I did get myself from a really ####ty PK-er to a squarely middle of the road PK-er, and that was more or less how. Good luck.

rex spanglerTue 21-Apr-20 08:28 AM
Member since 17th Jun 2018
95 posts
#74114, "I think this is why there should be more transparency i..."
In response to Reply #0

My guess is that part of the reason the numbers are so slow is the really steep learning curve.

I think the secrecy made more sense a decade ago. Then, there was still enough people playing that is wasn't hard to learn stuff IC. Now, there are very few people around to teach new players the cool secret stuff that can't be talked about OOC.

I think the areas to find preps should be made know, such at "There is a Damage reduction type-1 potion in area-x". The new sleek system made this better for mages, but I don't think it went far enough.

I think the area, stats, and special effects for ALL weapons and armor should be made public. The illusionary stuff helps, but I again don't think it's far enough for these low of numbers.

Just giving the areas would keep it somewhat secret, but at least tell people where to look. This would give new players a better chance at finding these things. I've been playing for ~15 years, and still wonder about some things.

What's the point of having all of these secret items if it's killing the game?

CointreauTue 21-Apr-20 06:50 PM
Member since 20th Nov 2004
300 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#74117, "I think limited preps need to be re-worked"
In response to Reply #5

People collect their aura prep, horde it until they need it and then re-collect it the second they use it.

It should a similar sleek system or maybe repops randomised.

NalasulTue 21-Apr-20 08:03 AM
Member since 07th Nov 2019
215 posts
#74113, "RE: Forever terrible"
In response to Reply #0

If you're focusing on PK% instead of total PKs, then one way to get to 35% would be to just die less often. So that's an option.

Otherwise it's some combination of skill percentages, gear, preps, picking on people you match up well against, then doing the right stuff in the fight.

That last one is greatly aided by having a set of aliases that allow you to actually input the commands you want to input in the heat of the moment.

Another idea: log everything and, when your character is gone, post logs of fights ask for feedback on what you could have done differently.

JhyrbianTue 21-Apr-20 07:54 AM
917 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74112, "RE: Forever terrible"
In response to Reply #0

The best way to get better at CF is talking ooc with other CFers and hashing ideas out with other people.

SertiusTue 21-Apr-20 01:03 AM
Member since 17th Nov 2008
360 posts
#74111, "Roll a cookie cutter"
In response to Reply #0

You know, the people and builds who roll you over. Play drow stsf dagger in battle, play air/off shifter, play batadin. Play that levelsitting sleep monkey. Then, after 300 hours of each at hero, you'll know how to beat them. As for preps, stone skin and protection is very easy to come by, aura a bit harder, but ask ic and you will learn. Seek to be better, but I think it just comes down to people who spent literally thousands of hours so they know the tricks. Still, they are still beatable. Play the stock power builds and stick to condeath and you will learn too. Or not. Roll a herald neutral healer and not deal with it all.

Not An ImmMon 20-Apr-20 11:38 PM
141 posts
#74110, "RE: Forever terrible"
In response to Reply #0

I've played off and on since the beginning, and am still a noob. While I have managed to pull off a PK-successful character or two in my life, I'm usually getting my ass handed to me. But as long as I'm having fun and connecting with other players, I'm cool with it and enjoy the game for what it is.

There's a few hardcore players in this game that know how to maximize their effectiveness, know how to hunt, know where to find the preps and never fight unprepared, and they put in a lot of hours to really master all of the secrets of the game. Do I get upset when they kick my ass? Yeah, for a few minutes, then I just regear and pick myself up. Maybe I'll learn something from it. I don't have the time to invest like I used to, so am not going to let it bother me that some people have nothing but time here. If they seem overpowered, maybe I'll try to play my own throwaway copy of their character to learn how they did that and it might make me better next time.

If I'm not feeling like mixing it up, which I really haven't these lasts few years, I'll play stealth classes which will give me more of an advantage in choosing my fights. But that turns into a crutch if you do it exclusively, and can even make you just plain anti-social after awhile since you start to feel like everybody is a threat. That kills the fun for me.

Just keep plugging along, and if you aren't having fun with it, take a break and try again later after you have some fresh ideas.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74109 Previous topic | Next topic