Subject: "The Veil" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #73981
Show all folders

ChaosChaosChaos! (Anonymous)Thu 06-Feb-20 08:24 AM
Charter member
#73981, "The Veil"

Just a quick question: when you tune the veil (weakn/strengthen), how long affect stays? Until the reboot, or it slowly recovers over some time? If I have tuned it twice, for instance, will both tunes wear down at the same time if it not stays until the reboot?

Thanks!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Veil Stuff, Homard, 08-Feb-20 09:08 AM, #11
Reply RE: The Veil, Kalageadon, 06-Feb-20 04:25 PM, #3
Reply I've also noticed it will reset completely in the same ..., Blkdrgn, 06-Feb-20 07:30 PM, #5
     Reply RE: I've also noticed it will reset completely in the s..., lasentia, 07-Feb-20 07:33 AM, #8
          Reply Hmm, clnt2020, 07-Feb-20 08:27 AM, #9
               Reply It might be a viable tactic.., Java, 07-Feb-20 11:49 AM, #10
               Reply The veil has noticeable impacts on magic, lasentia, 10-Feb-20 07:20 AM, #12
Reply RE: The Veil, Ishuli, 06-Feb-20 08:38 AM, #1
     Reply Thank you!, ChaosChaosChaos! (Anonymous), 06-Feb-20 09:40 AM, #2
     Reply Just out of mere curiosity , TJHuron, 06-Feb-20 07:03 PM, #4
          Reply RE: Just out of mere curiosity , Ishuli, 06-Feb-20 08:03 PM, #6
               Reply Veil edges, clnt2020, 07-Feb-20 12:06 AM, #7

HomardSat 08-Feb-20 09:08 AM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73992, "Veil Stuff"
In response to Reply #0

For Nexus and Battle at least, shifting the veil is a moral obligation, but most of the time most of the characters in the game can effectively ignore it.

One of my throwaway villagers got titled “Veil Tender” and here’s what I’ve figured out. It’s difficult to know for sure, but it seems like the who list is the most important factor in what the veil’s current baseline is. High level Battle makes a big difference as did high level Nexus. High level magi affect it as well, but who knows how? It seemed that a shifter Nightreaver had less effect than a Rhyme who was a warrior. With no nexus it is likely that the veil now tends toward thickness.

I suspect in a vacuum that giving items would last for a decent amount of time, but in reality the constantly changing variety of heroes makes it tough to keep it super thick or super thin for very long. The exception might be a bunch of hero villagers logging on, intentionally thickening the veil, then rampaging. That’s when potions start failing across Thera. It becomes a perceptible advantage at times like this.

At least some Battle powers don’t work as well with a thin veil, so there’s that, too. Plus you can start gathering veil shifting items at around level 25 so there should be no excuse to not do it if you’ve got nothing to do.

Also remember that the quickest way to thin the veil is to kill a bunch of hero villagers. Also, also this thread makes me think about how the one time I held Strange Bracers I beelined to Tahren with them.

KalageadonThu 06-Feb-20 04:25 PM
Member since 23rd Oct 2003
1040 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73984, "RE: The Veil"
In response to Reply #0

There are many factors and I don't know all of them but generally speaking if you could isolate each, I'd say it's uniform. If you give legendary magical item to X, then you'd get the rise or fall for Y hours and the veil would go back to Battle normal which is just below Nexus normal, which is slightly less mana in the world than ideal.

Villagers, especially ones with large kill counts shift the veil, so if one were to log in when you give your item, then the shift wouldn't likely last very long if at all. You'd likely need multiple items to swing it.

Conversely, if Scion Mage Leader logs in, you'd expect magic's level to rise and your item's affect may seem longer.

This affect will bleed down with passing game time. As far as staying, I believe it will completely reset on reboot if I recall correctly.

I'm sure there's more to it but that's some of the things I noted when I played Nexus all the time.

BlkdrgnThu 06-Feb-20 07:30 PM
Member since 19th Mar 2010
293 posts
#73986, "I've also noticed it will reset completely in the same ..."
In response to Reply #3

Even if a reboot didn't happen, and no items were given to thin/thicken the veil.

I remember it being super thin, magic was flowing, tic goes by and check it again, and it's back to battle normal which sucked.

lasentiaFri 07-Feb-20 07:33 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73989, "RE: I've also noticed it will reset completely in the s..."
In response to Reply #5
Edited on Fri 07-Feb-20 07:33 AM

In my nexus days I recall magic was usually at the regular level, and occasionally the norm would be at +1 level, but it was most heavily influenced by the who list. Not items or deaths of ragers/mages.

When villagers logged in, it dropped down. A Commander and a drillmaster and it was almost impossible to keep the veil at average. And it really took a fair amount of mages to have any noticeable impact on keeping the non-shifted level above normal. Maybe a lich would, but the average mage had minimal impacts.

The only time I would say you ever bother with items for the veil to boost magic is pre-raid. Otherwise, you're wasting time cause the effects never seemed to go beyond a day or so. But I would always drop like 6 items, then go raid battle. I'd say the same for Battle, but for them it is harder to stockpile magical items for tahren so it was a less viable tactic for defenses. But if you're raiding a mage heavy defense, go grab a few things to feed tahren first.

Any time you see the echo for a shift in the veil, I feel like those impacts are a day, maybe two at most.

So the veil is really shaped by who is online more than what you do. Which is probably how it should be, although I'd say it disproportionately weights villagers to mages, but I suppose when first implemented mages were more plentiful than ragers.

clnt2020Fri 07-Feb-20 08:27 AM
Member since 11th Dec 2019
224 posts
#73990, "Hmm"
In response to Reply #8

Sounds as there is no reason to bother. But I think I see a difference in spells with the default veil and after it was tuned.

JavaFri 07-Feb-20 11:49 AM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1054 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#73991, "It might be a viable tactic.."
In response to Reply #9

If the veil is thick enough, it can also affect potions. So if you're fighting a prep-heavy character, or someone who quaffs at the first sign of trouble, it might be a nice surprise.. especially since they wouldn't even know the veil had shifted.

But yeah, I'd mostly see doing htat if you're trying to raid (or re-raid against some mage-types and need an edge. Drop a handful of items off with Tahren, then go for it. Could be enough to tip the scales your way.

lasentiaMon 10-Feb-20 07:20 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73993, "The veil has noticeable impacts on magic"
In response to Reply #9

But keeping the veil in such a high or low state through couriers and tahren is not really tenable. So you do it selectively when you anticipate you'll be fighting soon after.

Thick veil, magic will fail, spells, talismans, potions etc.
Thin veil, the occassional double cast. The spell will arc to someone else you are fighting. This can be very beneficial. i.e. two novas for the cost/lag of one. IT also changes how much save spell a rager gets from spellbane, but not sure if it impacts how easily you actually bane spells.

I don't believe the efficacy of a spell, is impacted by the veil. So the damage should remain constant. Not sure if spells are easier to save against in general when the veil is thick, harder to save against when thin.

IshuliThu 06-Feb-20 08:38 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2121 posts
#73982, "RE: The Veil"
In response to Reply #0

Depends a bit on whats going on. What cabals are in swing? What characters are logged in?

For me it always *feels* like it eventually regresses to the mean, but I've felt it sit at varying 'extremes' for pretty decent lengths of time. Couldn't tell you specifics though.

-Ish

ChaosChaosChaos! (Anonymous)Thu 06-Feb-20 09:40 AM
Charter member
#73983, "Thank you!"
In response to Reply #1

Got the same impression. Cheers!

TJHuronThu 06-Feb-20 07:03 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
#73985, "Just out of mere curiosity "
In response to Reply #1

Why are Veil Tender and Veil Render mutually exclusive edges?

Why can’t they be one edge?

Most characters only want to swing the veil one way or the other but I could see a potential for certain characters to want to be able to go one way or the other, depending on who their enemy is at that time.

I’ve actually never picked one of these edges despite having been kind of a rager junkie.

IshuliThu 06-Feb-20 08:03 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2121 posts
#73987, "RE: Just out of mere curiosity "
In response to Reply #4

Because in CF lore you typically only really want one or the other. Even Nexuns were on the "more magic" side.

Opportunistic tenders probably don't want extremes either way, so having neither benefits them keeping it right in the center .

-Ish

clnt2020Fri 07-Feb-20 12:06 AM
Member since 11th Dec 2019
224 posts
#73988, "Veil edges"
In response to Reply #6

I'd seriously think of getting it if it would not just affect the items, but if it would fix the veil from the returning to the default stance until reboot.

With the current edges prices, I don't see that anyone would waste points on it, it's easy easier just to collect more items and waste spare 30 minutes on it than spend precious edge points.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #73981 Previous topic | Next topic