Subject: "Most Unrealistic Skill/etc." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #73727
Show all folders

NalasulMon 30-Dec-19 12:04 PM
Member since 07th Nov 2019
215 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73727, "Most Unrealistic Skill/etc."

Within the context of CF, i.e. magic, communes, etc., what would you say is the single most "unrealistic" skill/spell/power/etc.?

For instance, "levitating" wouldn't be unrealistic because magic exists. It's fairly plausible that someone might be able to use magic to levitate.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Bloodoath, TheSouthernCurse#7874 (Anonymous), 06-Jan-20 07:35 PM, #12
Reply Fiend, Kalageadon, 04-Jan-20 08:17 AM, #9
Reply RE: Fiend, Nalasul, 04-Jan-20 07:04 PM, #10
     Reply RE: Fiend, lasentia, 06-Jan-20 07:20 AM, #11
Reply RE: Most Unrealistic Skill/etc., lasentia, 31-Dec-19 07:25 AM, #7
Reply Off the top of my head, incognito, 30-Dec-19 05:06 PM, #4
Reply I never understood entrap, Shandae, 30-Dec-19 02:10 PM, #3
Reply RE: Most Unrealistic Skill/etc., robdarken_, 30-Dec-19 12:34 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Most Unrealistic Skill/etc., Nalasul, 30-Dec-19 01:46 PM, #2
          Reply RE: Most Unrealistic Skill/etc., Jarmel, 30-Dec-19 05:38 PM, #5
          Reply RE: Hurl, Twist, 31-Dec-19 01:00 AM, #6
               Reply RE: Hurl, Nalasul, 31-Dec-19 12:41 PM, #8

TheSouthernCurse#7874 (Anonymous)Mon 06-Jan-20 07:35 PM
Charter member
#73792, "Bloodoath"
In response to Reply #0

Why and when did this change?

Every bit of Imperial RP is to indoctrinate or subjugate all the people in the world and convince them that Darkness and Order is the way to true greatness and civilization but they can't give the Oath to non-evils?

What gives?

KalageadonSat 04-Jan-20 08:17 AM
Member since 23rd Oct 2003
1040 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73789, "Fiend"
In response to Reply #0

Most bard songs are fairly unrealistic. How does a song cause me to burst into flames or an image in my head that's more powerful than me and it kills me.

NalasulSat 04-Jan-20 07:04 PM
215 posts
#73790, "RE: Fiend"
In response to Reply #9

Magic! Of a special variety that doesn't piss off ragers, apparently.

lasentiaMon 06-Jan-20 07:20 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73791, "RE: Fiend"
In response to Reply #10

If your mind truly thinks you are sick, your mind can manifest the physical ailments, even if you really are not.
So really all just mental manipulation and illusions. There are a few songs this does not really explain though.

Fiery doom, the guy just has alcohol in his breath, which he spews forth and ignites, just like a firebreather.

Elven adagio- the vibrations in the song produce a elevated healing effect causing increases in blood clotting and promoting heightened regeneration of cells. Like a cat's purring effect or something.

Vibrato = shockwave of sorts

piercing dissonance, we all know high frequencies can shatter glass

All perfectly rational non-magical things that can be done with a drunk person's voice.

lasentiaTue 31-Dec-19 07:25 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73734, "RE: Most Unrealistic Skill/etc."
In response to Reply #0

Hear light, before you jerks removed the single best bard edge in the game.

But it was still awesome.

Recall. Okay, I get that it is a prayer for miraculous transportation from the helpfile. But you don't commune it, it is a skill. And why can I only use it below level 10, and when I am dead?
The gods only help the weak and the dead?

And poison dagger. For the same reason of infinite daggers like hurl, plus the assassin also has an endless supply of poison, but he can't apply it to any other weapon.

incognitoMon 30-Dec-19 05:06 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73731, "Off the top of my head"
In response to Reply #0

Calling wasps underwater.

It's harder than above water, but doable.

ShandaeMon 30-Dec-19 02:10 PM
Member since 11th Nov 2019
126 posts
#73730, "I never understood entrap"
In response to Reply #0

Entrap always bothered me because I can't fathom the haft of a polearm being used to snag someones staff out of their hands. It just never made sense to me.

robdarken_Mon 30-Dec-19 12:33 PM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
373 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#73728, "RE: Most Unrealistic Skill/etc."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Mon 30-Dec-19 12:34 PM

Got an example of an unrealistic skill? It's hard to say that anything in CF is unrealistic since you can just kinda rationalize about why it works if you want to.

How come beastmasters can just hiss and reliably have poison snakes show up who feel like biting some warrior? Maybe he hides snakes everywhere in advance, just in case. (shhhh... wait here, I might be back...)

Why does soot ritual protect you from light based attacks? All it says is you use the destructive power of fire to burn your surroundings. I can imagine that the energy from that heals you. But why does having soot on your skin mean sunbeam goes from melting you to barely hurting? Orcs invented sunscreen.

Bard songs don't exactly make sense, why can their voice create illusions? Are they psionics?

NalasulMon 30-Dec-19 01:46 PM
215 posts
#73729, "RE: Most Unrealistic Skill/etc."
In response to Reply #1

So far the two examples mentioned on Discord:

hurl - where are you getting these daggers from that you're throwing? do you have an infinite supply? why must you be wielding daggers in order to hurl daggers, since you're clearly not hurling the ones you're wielding?

caltraps - where are you getting an infinite supply of caltraps? are you taking the time to pick them all up each time you throw them down?

trip - how is it possible for a gnome to trip a giant given the disparity in size/weight between them?

JarmelMon 30-Dec-19 05:38 PM
Member since 19th Jul 2015
375 posts
#73732, "RE: Most Unrealistic Skill/etc."
In response to Reply #2

Trip:
- I think you will find a gnome cant trip a giant (Unless size modification is used)

TwistTue 31-Dec-19 01:00 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#73733, "RE: Hurl"
In response to Reply #2

Fun fact, when warrior specs first came out, the hurl skill actually did hurl the dagger you were currently wielding, and it ended up in the victim's inventory. It did more damage, but wasn't useful at all for maledicting. It was just damage.

Back then dagger specs would load up on Large Daggers from the Younglings in Tar Valon (avg 17 dagger that wasn't limited) so they could work on hurl.

Yeah dagger specs sucked to start.

NalasulTue 31-Dec-19 12:41 PM
215 posts
#73735, "RE: Hurl"
In response to Reply #6

Oh, how far we've come.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #73727 Previous topic | Next topic