Subject: "A quick question for IMM's. " Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #73616
Show all folders

k-bThu 07-Nov-19 07:53 PM
Member since 19th Mar 2010
344 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73616, "A quick question for IMM's. "

I was just thinking about random nonsense and became curious about something.

What would happen if somehow CF went viral on YouTube or got shout out by some famous person, and all of a sudden we had like an insane amount of people playing. I'm talking like over 10,000. Like a ridiculous number.

What would the logistics be? Like would you have to shut down the game for a bit? What would the who list be like? Would it condense somehow? Would the server be able to handle it? Stuff like that.

I'm just a tad bit curious.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Kernel panic. (nt), Umiron, 07-Nov-19 09:00 PM, #1
     Reply I had to google it., k-b, 07-Nov-19 09:16 PM, #2
          Reply RE: I had to google it., Umiron, 07-Nov-19 09:34 PM, #3
               Reply Interesting stuff. Thanks for the response. nt, k-b, 07-Nov-19 10:33 PM, #4
               Reply Back in the day...., Twist, 08-Nov-19 01:00 AM, #5
                    Reply Also interesting. Thanks. nt, k-b, 08-Nov-19 02:01 AM, #6
                    Reply So is that still the case?, lasentia, 08-Nov-19 06:39 AM, #7

UmironThu 07-Nov-19 09:00 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73617, "Kernel panic. (nt)"
In response to Reply #0

nt

k-bThu 07-Nov-19 09:16 PM
344 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73618, "I had to google it."
In response to Reply #1

Gotcha. So the system would automatically shut down. Interesting. Would you guys do something to compensate for the added stress? Is there a world where 10,000 people could play this game?

UmironThu 07-Nov-19 09:34 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73619, "RE: I had to google it."
In response to Reply #2

I was mostly kidding, but no, CF wouldn't be able to handle that many concurrent users and I imagine it would take a lot of refactoring to get it there. (Un?)fortunately, I doubt that's a problem we'd ever have.

CF could probably scale up reasonably well by throwing more hardware at it, but ultimately it's a single-threaded TCP server from 1994 that has been optimized for having a massive inventory of features over any kind of performance. I wouldn't enter it into any races.

k-bThu 07-Nov-19 10:33 PM
344 posts
#73620, "Interesting stuff. Thanks for the response. nt"
In response to Reply #3

nt

TwistFri 08-Nov-19 01:00 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#73621, "Back in the day...."
In response to Reply #3

at one point we were hosted for free by a company called (IIRC) ThePoint.net. The one caveat of having free hosting was that we had to cap the player count that could be logged in to (again, IIRC) 100. I believe this was because the powers that be (were?) wanted to make certain that paying customers who were also using that box didn't experience any issues that might be caused by too many resources being consumed.

This doesn't really answer any of the questions or have a lot of specific relevance but it is an old piece of history that was tangentially related, so there.

k-bFri 08-Nov-19 02:01 AM
344 posts
#73622, "Also interesting. Thanks. nt"
In response to Reply #5

nt

lasentiaFri 08-Nov-19 06:39 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
#73623, "So is that still the case?"
In response to Reply #5

That there is a hard cap as to how many people can really be logged in at one time?

I'd be curious as to what the number actually is if so.
100 players all online would be one intense MUD. People would be con dying in 150 hours.

But I could actually see it happening in 20 years, when a lot of us former CFers would have kids out of the house, and more free time than middle age currently affords many of us.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #73616 Previous topic | Next topic