Subject: "Something to try to get more people playing CF" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #73533
Show all folders

vorianThu 12-Sep-19 08:52 PM
Member since 23rd Oct 2009
212 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73533, "Something to try to get more people playing CF"

Hi everyone,

Here's a simple (by this I mean not much work of coding) suggestion that could have a major impact on the player base numbers: Permanently triple xp gain from killing mob.

Leveling is long, repetitive and boring. Most of the players don't talk much when leveling. Even when double XP gain, it's a long a tedious process (wich is why I suggest a bolder change).

I'd be curious to know how many people would disagree with the following statement: My biggest problem with CF is that it's too much time consuming. Between the time it takes to level, prep and regear when pkilled, no wonder why people get discouraged playing. And it certainly explains why full looting create such discontent amongst players.

So I'm asking you Immortals managing CF: What do you have to loose? It's not much work : a bit of coding and a publicity on social medias... and if you don't see any impact on the PB, it will be easy to bring back the game as it was.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Ishuli, Incognito, Lasentia, vorian, 13-Sep-19 06:54 PM, #7
Reply For me personally., Cointreau, 14-Sep-19 09:09 AM, #8
     Reply RE: For me personally., Shravthar, 14-Sep-19 03:56 PM, #9
          Reply There's no one to play with., Cointreau, 14-Sep-19 06:45 PM, #10
               Reply RE: There's no one to play with., Ishuli, 14-Sep-19 07:08 PM, #11
                    Reply On it., Swordsosaurus, 14-Sep-19 09:34 PM, #12
                         Reply lol this is a terrible ad., Cointreau, 15-Sep-19 01:01 AM, #13
                              Reply Roight, Swordsosaurus, 15-Sep-19 05:49 AM, #14
Reply Your solution does not really impact the grind, lasentia, 13-Sep-19 07:54 AM, #6
Reply Better solution., JohnEveryMan, 13-Sep-19 06:45 AM, #5
Reply Too simplistic, incognito, 13-Sep-19 01:12 AM, #4
Reply Disagree, robdarken_, 12-Sep-19 09:13 PM, #2
Reply RE: Disagree, vorian, 12-Sep-19 09:48 PM, #3
Reply No., Ishuli, 12-Sep-19 09:12 PM, #1

vorianFri 13-Sep-19 06:54 PM
212 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73541, "Ishuli, Incognito, Lasentia"
In response to Reply #0

Few key concepts I got from what you wrote are: multicharing, throwaway char, skill learning rate, CF being harder to rank before and having bigger numbers, bonuses not translating into permanent numbers.

Thank you for your serious responses: it gives something to really think about. I'd like to respond to your ideas but unfortunately, I can only use CF forums from work, so it's gonna take a few days before I get back to you.

Talk to you later...

CointreauSat 14-Sep-19 09:09 AM
Member since 20th Nov 2004
300 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#73542, "For me personally."
In response to Reply #7

I don't have the time to dedicate to the game like I used to when I was younger and the result is that I play maybe one big character every couple of years (when I find a couple of weeks free to reach hero). This char will last a year or so, with me mainly playing weekends.

The key challenge is the initial grind, there is so much to do. Write a solid role, rank up, practice skills, empowerment, gather exp/obs experience (a personal hate of mine), potentially meet cabal hurdles (e.g. kill a mage). I don't really enjoy the game until I hit hero, so I try to get there (with all of the above grind) as quickly as possible.

I love big bonus days/weekends. I will literally cancel plans, avoid sleep, etc. to make the most of one and hopefully get a char up and running. Without these I probably wouldn't be playing now.

I understand that there are many players who have much more time available and will abuse this to multichar, create throwaways, etc. but I think the current standard grind is far too much for many players.

I'm not sure what the answer is, there needs to be some balance but I personally would greatly appreciate something to reduce the grind. Especially the exp/obs edge point grind, which tbh I don't even know if it is worth spending time on.

ShravtharSat 14-Sep-19 03:56 PM
Member since 17th Mar 2016
209 posts
#73543, "RE: For me personally."
In response to Reply #8

Never understood the "game starts at hero" people. It doesn't. Maybe you (not you particularly, generally speaking) like it better, but you can't have changes just to make it faster to get there. It has the equal and opposite impact on all those that like all the levels before hero. Maybe spend more time doing things in the first 50 levels, you may like it. You keep racing through it all, maybe that's why you don't like it.

CointreauSat 14-Sep-19 06:45 PM
300 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#73544, "There's no one to play with."
In response to Reply #9

I'm Aussie so I play the opposite of peak most times. At 7pm (my time) I can log on and sometimes be the only person online, let alone finding someone in PK range.

I would enjoy the lower ranks if fights came more regularly but with the lower playerbase I'd rather power to hero where the fights are more consistent.

IshuliSat 14-Sep-19 07:08 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2145 posts
#73545, "RE: There's no one to play with."
In response to Reply #10

Now a proper series of ads/publicity to get us more players in your timezone is something I could get behind .

-Ish

SwordsosaurusSat 14-Sep-19 09:34 PM
Member since 16th May 2010
295 posts
#73546, "On it."
In response to Reply #11

CointreauSun 15-Sep-19 01:01 AM
300 posts
#73547, "lol this is a terrible ad."
In response to Reply #12

No one drinks that here.

SwordsosaurusSun 15-Sep-19 05:49 AM
Member since 16th May 2010
295 posts
#73548, "Roight"
In response to Reply #13

Al do bloody well betta next toime, mate.

lasentiaFri 13-Sep-19 07:54 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73540, "Your solution does not really impact the grind"
In response to Reply #0

You're still stuck grinding out skill practicing, which would be made worse if you're having to do it at hero range with people who are actively looking to PK because they're done with that aspect of grinding. You still have the grind of gathering preps, gear, and regearing. The fact is, CF is a grind in most all facets, and most players know that. The RP that accompanies it is what makes it a bit more tolerable. The PK heavy guys still have to grind their gold and limited preps over and over, even if they don't often lose fights.

You're just switching one form of grinding for others really. The only way your idea works is if skill learning is similarly tripled, and preps are mitigated so there are less of them. And that's not going to happen. Part of why I always played bards was they were less grind dependent, and a village bard is actually really great just because of the no grind while still having pretty good "preps" so to speak through powers and songs.

I also believe you'd see more throw away characters with this in place, which does nothing to help the CF environment. In short, making power ranking available is not going to really help CF or bring people back. It's just going to allow existing players to create a few more throwaway characters, or be less invested overall because it's so easy to get back up to hero with a different build.

JohnEveryManFri 13-Sep-19 06:45 AM
Member since 25th Aug 2012
247 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73539, "Better solution."
In response to Reply #0

Let's utilize our greatest natural resource. Russian CF'ers, you can get
them to coordinate a massive bot farm in the run up to 2020, get Andrew Yang elected. This would mean every US player would have an extra 1000
NEET bux per month. This would mean more time to CF, problem solved.

Sent from my Iphone

incognitoFri 13-Sep-19 01:12 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73538, "Too simplistic"
In response to Reply #0

For starters, my usual problem with grouping is that I'll gain experience too fast.

So ideally I'd have a toggle to reduce my exp gain so I could group with people more.

Also, loads of exp means easy to have lots of characters, which brings its own problems. Your enemies can easily know where you hide or rank by being your ally. People can log off Vs those in their pk range and log on those who are not at risk, or who dominate their own pk range etc.

I think I could nevertheless support this if you could apply a reduction factor of 10 on demand.

robdarken_Thu 12-Sep-19 09:13 PM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
373 posts
#73535, "Disagree"
In response to Reply #0

Grinding skills and XP was always fun to me, it's like leveling your pokemans, and it's easier than ever. I also don't find it hard at any level to rank anything but a few combos.

Nobody plays KBK/POS so I don't think this is it.

vorianThu 12-Sep-19 09:48 PM
212 posts
#73536, "RE: Disagree"
In response to Reply #2

I don't know KBK/POS and pokemans so I can't say. We are defenitely not the same kind of person: grinding is too repetitive for me and I cannot understand how one can have fun doing the same thing for so long in front of a computer... Glad for you that you like it!

IshuliThu 12-Sep-19 09:12 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2145 posts
#73534, "No."
In response to Reply #0

I’m actively against this. There are more bonuses than before, and we haven’t seen bonuses translate into permanent numbers. Even when there are massive lengthy holiday bonuses, characters that make it to hero by and large don’t even last a week afterwards. But aside from that, I pretty standardly against anything that further makes CF easier. It may sound mean, but I’m not interested in it being easier.

Levelling doesn’t have to be long and boring. Some of my favorite RP moments and chats have happened with ranking groups. Some folks just aim to power rank, and I tend to not end up with them since I have more fun with interactive groups. Plus I’m not really a power-ranker.

Ranking also is a purposeful risk added to each progressing character. It puts you in areas of varying terrains and dangers against mobs of varying risks/abilities that provide opportunities for people to come and wreck you and your group.

For this suggestion, it wouldn’t matter if it was as simple as pressing a button – I’m against it. CF used to be a lot more harsh and even more difficult for ranking, but had higher numbers then. Clearly the answer is that we should make it even more hardcore and add back difficulties in ranking.

-Ish

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #73533 Previous topic | Next topic