Subject: "Coder status?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #73271
Show all folders

ValkenarFri 24-May-19 03:52 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1203 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73271, "Coder status?"

I haven't played in kind of a while, but I do check in on the forums once in a while to see how the game is doing. This time, I saw a bunch of people referring to no coding being possible for the forseeable future. Can someone fill me in on the details there? Is that accurate? If so, presumably that means there are no (or few) coding imms. And is the situation that it's too hard to trust anyone new to code for CF?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply I'll keep this relatively short., Ishuli, 24-May-19 05:55 PM, #1
     Reply RE: I'll keep this relatively short., Valkenar, 26-May-19 08:15 PM, #2
          Reply RE: I'll keep this relatively short., Ishuli, 26-May-19 08:28 PM, #3
               Reply RE: I'll keep this relatively short., Valkenar, 28-May-19 07:44 PM, #4
                    Reply RE: I'll keep this relatively short., Ishuli, 28-May-19 07:54 PM, #5
                         Reply Help Wanted, Rahsael, 29-May-19 11:27 AM, #6

IshuliFri 24-May-19 05:55 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2122 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73272, "I'll keep this relatively short."
In response to Reply #0

I'll keep this short'ish since I don't want the thread devolving much, but I do want to answer your question. I'll end up pruning the thread if it goes too off topic into other stuff.

With that said:

We are low on coding resources on a few bases. The coders we currently have are very busy folks - this might lighten up in about a month or so.

We don't have many imms who can code / know code well, and haven't really had any codey applicants pass through heroimm either.

A big part of the latter is that there IS a huge trust component in coding, or giving any hefty access to CF stuff. And that's assuming they get through the other stuff.

But with all that said, I'm hoping we'll be able to get a few things done within the next 3 months or so. We'll see what happens .

Hope that answers your question!

-Ish

ValkenarSun 26-May-19 08:15 PM
1203 posts
#73275, "RE: I'll keep this relatively short."
In response to Reply #1

Thanks, that is helpful. Sounds like I wouldn't be able to make a contribution there in a reasonable amount of time, so I'll set that idea aside. Still, I wish for the best and would love to see CF prosper.

IshuliSun 26-May-19 08:28 PM
2122 posts
#73276, "RE: I'll keep this relatively short."
In response to Reply #2

Same .

In cf-imm world there is no such thing as 'reasonable amount of time'. I can't tell you how much time I've put into stuff lol.

There is no time, THERE IS ONLY CF!

-Ish

ValkenarTue 28-May-19 07:44 PM
1203 posts
#73280, "RE: I'll keep this relatively short."
In response to Reply #3

>Same .
>
>In cf-imm world there is no such thing as 'reasonable amount
>of time'. I can't tell you how much time I've put into stuff
>lol.
>
>There is no time, THERE IS ONLY CF!
>
>-Ish

Sure, by a "reasonable time" I didn't mean that I thought it would be a small weekly/daily time commitment to do the actual coding, but that it would be a year or more to even get to that point, and I don't have the requisite enthusiasm for the other imm duties to spend an extended period building towards the developer role.

Kudos to you and everyone else who does, though.

IshuliTue 28-May-19 07:54 PM
2122 posts
#73281, "RE: I'll keep this relatively short."
In response to Reply #4

yeah it would likely take a while, 'keys to the kingdom' and all.

And I fully 100% admit that if you wanna code, or imm, or whatever else - you've got to have a 100% dedication/desire matched with motivation/passion and some patience. And not necessarily in the fun way.

So I can FULLY understand not wanting to go through that, with no disrespect towards anyone who wants to shy away from it. I did the same thing for a long while for the same reasons.

But then real life lined up nicely in a way that made me think "Hey, I can manage this".

Maybe you'll be a masochist one day too

Otherwise, I know Rahs was looking for some codey help in getting together a Mudlet skin for CF! So if you're interested in some contract-work, maybe that's your cup of tea?

-Ish

RahsaelWed 29-May-19 11:27 AM
Member since 05th May 2017
232 posts
#73282, "Help Wanted"
In response to Reply #5

Yep! There are opportunities for coders (and even the artistically inclined) to contribute in meaningful ways that could attract some new blood.

A high-quality Mudlet skin could potentially deepen the enjoyment of the game for veteran players and give new players a bit of a helping hand.

We have one really incredible player doing most of the heavy lifting on coding this Mudlet project so far, and that player has shared some impressive results with me. I'm really interested in finding someone with artistic talent and graphic design skills to help me make a polished and flavorful GUI.

Please send me an email at rahsael@carrionfields.com if you're interested and I'll give you some top-secret details. We don't pay or give in-game rewards, but I'd happily give you credit and effusive praise on these here forums if you want your name to be known. Additionally, if you ever do consider applying to join the staff, this would certainly weigh in your favor.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #73271 Previous topic | Next topic