Subject: "Item Limits (IMM Request)" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72876
Show all folders

WastedFri 19-Apr-19 01:13 PM
Member since 21st Jun 2015
111 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72876, "Item Limits (IMM Request)"
Edited on Fri 19-Apr-19 01:13 PM

Hey Guys,

I've been thinking this for a long time with the way things have been going and it would be a relatively easy fix. With recent deletion threads popping up making this a more relevant topic, I thought I'd try and draw some attention to it:

Can we loosen the restrictions on item limits, please?

- People are deleting out of frustration of losing gear. Although this is ridiculous, I see where they're coming from-- finding decent gear that's in has become pretty damn hard these days, especially with item limits dropping with the playerbase.

- It will encourage people to actually fight more without worrying about risking their gear that they know will not be in for the next 100+ hours of gameplay. I think we can all agree that the "C" in "CF" is supposed to stand for "CARRION", not "CONSERVATIVE", so lets make that a little more clear and make it easier for people to mix it up without worry.

I want to see people out there mixing it up again. This is a game, after all, and I feel a lot of people (players and IMM-staff alike) sometimes forget that. Lets loosen up the item limits and if it ends up a failed experiment, reverse the change and we're right back where we started.

Wuddya say?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Low numbers hits twice..., Saagkri, 20-Apr-19 05:40 PM, #11
Reply RE: Item Limits (IMM Request), Ishuli, 19-Apr-19 01:45 PM, #2
Reply I like that comic. Did u do it yourself? Nt, k-b, 19-Apr-19 03:55 PM, #4
Reply RE: I like that comic. Did u do it yourself? Nt, Ishuli, 19-Apr-19 04:41 PM, #5
Reply RE: Item Limits (IMM Request), Demos, 19-Apr-19 10:37 PM, #6
Reply Having played 5 warriors and n the last several weeks....., Lhydia, 20-Apr-19 05:44 AM, #7
     Reply Probably being hoarded by one of Jalim’s thieves..., Homard, 20-Apr-19 09:06 AM, #8
          Reply Are you saying..., robdarken_, 20-Apr-19 09:17 AM, #9
Reply , TJHuron, 20-Apr-19 10:34 AM, #10
Reply RE: Item Limits (IMM Request), SomeCurrentPlayer (Anonymous), 21-Apr-19 04:57 PM, #12
Reply I'd rather they didn't, incognito, 19-Apr-19 01:43 PM, #1
     Reply RE: I'd rather they didn't, Wasted, 19-Apr-19 02:53 PM, #3

SaagkriSat 20-Apr-19 05:40 PM
Member since 17th Jun 2014
801 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72887, "Low numbers hits twice..."
In response to Reply #0

First, with the low numbers, many items go down to legendary when before there were 2-3 of them.

Second, you are now less likely to run into the person that has the item (if they're even in your PK) so you probably won't get an opportunity to get it through PK.

IshuliFri 19-Apr-19 01:45 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2122 posts
#72878, "RE: Item Limits (IMM Request)"
In response to Reply #0

There is more top tier gear than ever before, so I think the base concept is just factually off here.

I can't confidently speak to the amount of gear available vs limits.

There is a lot of good gear that is very easy to get, and again more than ever before in CF's history.

So just on the fundamental basis being incorrect in my mind, I'm against this.

If folks are frustrated about losing gear, it's definitely about whether or not gear is available - it ALWAYS is given the current amount available. Maybe not that ONE piece you want, but there are a ton of comparable/alternate/potentially-better ones.

So in my mind the goal would be a shift in mindset, not mechanics. Fulling used to be the norm, it happens now less than ever before, folks loot each other less than ever before. So if you are STILL seeing complaints about looting, I think it has a LOT more to do with a player's sensitivity than it does to any actual problem existing.

And personally, I'm not a fan of diluting CF to appeal to sensitivities like that. I LOVE it when folks are less conservative, get into scuffles, fight it out, kick some hiney or get their hiney kicked! I tend to die a ton, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

But yeah, I don't think there is a problem with item limits.

I can totally understand the frustration of dying and being looted. It has happened to be countless times. But that's CarrionFields! Ain't no Hello Kitty Island .

-Ish

Shamelessly stolen from a DF comic:

k-bFri 19-Apr-19 03:55 PM
Member since 19th Mar 2010
344 posts
#72880, "I like that comic. Did u do it yourself? Nt"
In response to Reply #2

Nt

IshuliFri 19-Apr-19 04:41 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2122 posts
#72881, "RE: I like that comic. Did u do it yourself? Nt"
In response to Reply #4

No, I just put 'CarrionFields' over where it normally says 'Dwarf Fortress'. I'm a big fan of DF, so I knew exactly what comic to grab right off the bat.

Original can be found on DF's wiki where searching 'fun' redirects you to 'losing'. Comic on the right: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Losing

DemosFri 19-Apr-19 10:37 PM
Member since 20th Apr 2003
211 posts
#72882, "RE: Item Limits (IMM Request)"
In response to Reply #2

I suspect the issue isn't with the limit exactly, it's with the smaller pb. W a smaller pb the elite players have every limit 1 item, and given the skill of the small pb w most ppl not looting heavily or dying often it makes competition tougher. Personally idgaf about losing in pk but the vast majority need to 'feel' competitive. We all play the same way, max defenses/weaps/class skills for the theorycrafted build etc... With the massive disparity between dex builds and str builds being what it is, and the mage grind becoming(fwiw) less popular it is a big deal if you're wearing 'pretty good' VS 'epic'. Ultimately the general goalset is pk oriented rather than anything else atm, which exacerbates the issue further.

LhydiaSat 20-Apr-19 05:44 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2377 posts
#72883, "Having played 5 warriors and n the last several weeks....."
In response to Reply #6

I just want to know....WHO HAS ALL THE ####ING STOLES!?!? Reeeeeeeeeee!

I have not seen a stole of ermine in the 8 months I’ve been back.

HomardSat 20-Apr-19 09:06 AM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
#72884, "Probably being hoarded by one of Jalim’s thieves..."
In response to Reply #7

NT

robdarken_Sat 20-Apr-19 09:17 AM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
373 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#72885, "Are you saying..."
In response to Reply #8

He STOLE them?

Oughta pelt this guy with EGGs

TJHuronSat 20-Apr-19 10:34 AM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72886, ""
In response to Reply #2

Might it be that low average users is putting the good limited item limits at 1. There are lots of these items but they’re all limit one. Also, while there may be a lot of limited items when you start looking for specific item attributes/slots things can suddenly seem quite bit more sparse.

Then what if most players have at least 2 on going characters. This seems common enough. People have a main and one maybe two alts on the shelf. They play the alts but really only enough to keep them in the back pocket, so to speak. To keep the purge code from hitting them so those characters are available for when they tire of the main and are ready to make the switch.

Then let’s say most of these alts have at least a couple pieces of limited gear each. It looks innocent enough on a case by case basis. But if 75% (just tossing out a high majority number arbitrarily) is doing this then you will end up with a ton of nice gear that is essentially out of circulation because it’s sitting on a shelved alt character.

I don’t know how CFs purge code works exactly. My guess is it is probably based on two numbers. Time between last log in and average hours over a set period of time. If I’m correct, tightening that second number up might help a lot. Of course you’re gonna get someone to whine about it so who knows. “I only have x amount of time to play and you purged my ####! It’s ####! I quit! Waaaaaaaaaa!”

SomeCurrentPlayer (Anonymous)Sun 21-Apr-19 04:57 PM
Charter member
#72889, "RE: Item Limits (IMM Request)"
In response to Reply #2

I don't see much of a difference between now and say ten or fifteen years ago. Glossing over the fact I've been playing this far too long, I just don't see it. Along with a lot of other things. I could be wrong, but you know when someone talks about 'the good old days' and they're having a bit of a bad time of it currently, and you were there and remember it differently? I'd suggest it's possible that could be the case here, while obviously reserving the right to be wrong. The original and this post are, after all, just ideas opinions etc.

Now, that said...

Saw this comic, laughed till tears, didn't read the rest of the thread. It actually caught my eye before I finished reading what you wrote. So what do I know.

Well played.

Also that waiter serving from the right in the hardcore games? Bad enough, the rest was just insult to injury. I'm Triggered.

incognitoFri 19-Apr-19 01:43 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72877, "I'd rather they didn't"
In response to Reply #0

Since I'd rather not have all three Paladins in a gank armed with defiance, and is rather not have all three imperials in a gank having sanc and the ability to damn me, unless it is in their skillset.

Plus it does get boring when no enemy ever had anything you want to loot.

And if gear become unlimited, it ceases to feel decent.

WastedFri 19-Apr-19 02:53 PM
Member since 21st Jun 2015
111 posts
#72879, "RE: I'd rather they didn't"
In response to Reply #1

I definitely wouldn't want the super higher end gear to be made available like that... I'm more thinking about the less than legendary gear that people need to feel competitive.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72876 Previous topic | Next topic