Subject: "I owe some people an apology" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72604
Show all folders

OnewingedangelThu 07-Mar-19 09:24 AM
Member since 22nd Jul 2009
447 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72604, "I owe some people an apology"

First, I am bipolar, and I freaked out yesterday, I'm sorry.

However, I still want a discussion to be open. To be more calm about it, I think the imms can be too quick to jump on disbanding a ranking a quick just because someone might have the same IP. 90% of the playerbase who might end up like that aren't going to be a Perma. Most of us can make sure that isn't going to happen. I understand they can be a problem, and they can be hard to catch, so catching them early may be important. However, You have the ability to keep watching over it.

Basically, my point is I just don't want to treat him differently because of it. I'd like to treat him like I would any other character. I'm not asking for leeway in the rules, just give some people a chance to see if they are even going to break the rules.

My point was buried under nonsense and bitching yesterday, so yeah, this is here now. Anyway, I'm sorry again.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply As the person sharing the same IP address, I will apolo..., Hatersauce, 08-Mar-19 02:18 AM, #9
Reply Thank you., ice king, 08-Mar-19 01:38 AM, #7
Reply Wise words. Cosign. (nt), Bemused, 08-Mar-19 02:05 AM, #8
Reply Thumbsup, robdarken_, 07-Mar-19 02:47 PM, #6
Reply RE: I owe some people an apology, Ishuli, 07-Mar-19 10:02 AM, #1
     Reply My issue in such a case, Onewingedangel, 07-Mar-19 10:06 AM, #2
          Reply RE: My issue in such a case, Ishuli, 07-Mar-19 10:19 AM, #3
               Reply Let me be clearer, Onewingedangel, 07-Mar-19 10:49 AM, #4
                    Reply RE: Let me be clearer, Ishuli, 07-Mar-19 10:52 AM, #5

HatersauceFri 08-Mar-19 02:14 AM
Member since 08th Mar 2019
2 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72619, "As the person sharing the same IP address, I will apolo..."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Fri 08-Mar-19 02:18 AM

It was not my intention, nor my roommate's(at least to my knowledge) to cause any problems. I've been pulled to the realm of the dead before for so-called perma-grouping, though I think just about every time I have been, nothing came of it as it was simply, we happened to be on and started ranking. There was no gear sharing, or OOC communication, as though we knew what one another were thinking, i.e. using out of game communication. I understand Perma has been a big thing in the past, and I am sure it is still a huge problem. But those aren't people sharing an IP address anyway, they are just on Discord or whatever program they are using. But Logically, both IC and OOC, I couldn't be bothered to try to rank after that. I was basically told, stop traveling with these people who are 4 levels above me, level 22 compared to my at the time 18, and to venture with other people. The only other people in my range were around level 12. It would make no sense for my character to say, "Hey it's been fun, but I am going to go travel with these people who are going to be WAY less efficient." I'm not bitching about it, I already deleted that shifter, it's in the garbage for me, so I am not pissy or holding any ill will. I understand why it happened. I think it is effin' hilarious that, despite there being no proof of it, neither of us had any idea that we were in the same house or that the players behind had any link whatsoever. (Although, as soon as we got ROTD'd, I pretty much immediately knew why, there was nothing else about that situation other than that I happened to group with my roommate. But to be fair, someone actually asked to travel with my shifter that didn't have a form, so I was quite happy. Lol.)

This situation did blow up far more than it needed to, though there is a definite, in my opinion, discussion to be had about people trying to help other people into the game. I am not a New player by any means. I was playing this game in my university computer lab back in 2001 and really enjoyed it for a very long time, probably up until 2013 or 14 or such. The game has changed a lot in that time, a lot of it has been for the good, as the game does seem more accessible to new or returning players. But there is still a LOT lacking when it comes to newer players, or those who have been gone a while.

As an aside, it was my own stupidity that pushed me to roll up a mage, a shifter, at the time. And, to my knowledge, I did not roll at the same time as my roommate. I rolled a day or two prior, and had been trying to do quests to get to a decent level, but I can never remember certain ones, anyway. I always liked them as a good class to just get back into the swing of things and enjoy a bit of the game. But, I do not have the veteran prep knowledge, so I will never be competent, much less competetive, at or near end game. But I still like to see what forms I might get, maybe I will get something I haven't had yet.

I am sure this post is far longer than it needs to be, but as the other player involved in the matter, I figured maybe I should offer my two coppers.

ice kingFri 08-Mar-19 01:38 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2016
162 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72616, "Thank you."
In response to Reply #0

Seriously, thank you for taking a step back and regrouping on this. Nobody is perfect, and this is in many ways a very frustrating game. For the record I don't think it's fair what happened to you, but I also understand the imm's position. It's tough for them because for all they know you guys were sitting next to each other talking to each other the whole time you're grouped. They have to take your word that although you know your roommate plays the game you had no idea it was him. It could have been a hell of a lot worse. That's not to say what happened to you was justified. It sucks. That's life though. I've tried to find another game like CF and I haven't come close. So for me it's worth it to put up with that kind of ####. I've had my fair share of "is IMM for real right now?!" moments and even broke a keyboard once when I was VERY unfairly punished for something I had not a god damn thing to do with. Still pisses me off to think about some of them, but hey life goes on.

Kudos on the mea culpa. Good luck out there man.

BemusedFri 08-Mar-19 02:05 AM
Member since 15th Oct 2013
663 posts
#72617, "Wise words. Cosign. (nt)"
In response to Reply #7

gr

robdarken_Thu 07-Mar-19 02:47 PM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
373 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#72612, "Thumbsup"
In response to Reply #0

I don't know the answer but, not knowing exactly what happened, they probably coulda waited longer before breaking it up to see if there's a pattern.

It might be fair to let you guys know though that you guys have the same IP and they're gonna be watching for it (you'd find out anyway I'm sure). If that had happened, would it have upset you?

IshuliThu 07-Mar-19 10:02 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2146 posts
#72605, "RE: I owe some people an apology"
In response to Reply #0

I can dig it. I was ticked off too.

I agree that if someone hasn't done anything wrong, they shouldn't be bugged. If all we see is a group with the same IP (and we have no idea who said players are), we're going to bug you about it since our total information is - same IP grouping and ranking together.

That's why when we suspect something, we're more likely to ask you to just find a diff group instead of being more harsh. That also gives us a chance to stop what MIGHT be a problem with minimal interference while giving us subsequent time to see if there is any way we can better check for the issue.

-Ish

OnewingedangelThu 07-Mar-19 10:06 AM
447 posts
#72606, "My issue in such a case"
In response to Reply #1

Is that we were asked to stop while, as far as I was aware, not breaking the rules. I suppose the most I can ask is give it a ranking session or two, let the other imms know to watch for these characters or something? Maybe if it happens 2-3 three times in a row, then do something about. Just please not when it was the first and only ranking session of those characters lives. That's all I'm asking.

IshuliThu 07-Mar-19 10:19 AM
2146 posts
#72607, "RE: My issue in such a case"
In response to Reply #2

I don't think that's generally our policy. If two people roll up from the same IP and start ranking together, we're going to ask them to stop based on what we see.

It doesn't need to be 3 times in a row.

Instead, if we ask them to stop, they mix it up, and they happen to end up together only sometimes - sure.

But I view it as a stop --> better.

Not a do it --> maybe stop later.

Other imms can share their own view on it.

-Ish

OnewingedangelThu 07-Mar-19 10:49 AM
447 posts
#72609, "Let me be clearer"
In response to Reply #3

I'm not talking rolling up and ranking with each other from the start. That was accidental here. I had no idea it was him yesterday. I'm just talking overall in a characters life.

Like I said, I've made it a point to stay away from him before, and we were pulled to the Rotd once for ranking with each other as a last resort. Situations like that I'm talking about, and I'd like for us to be on the same page.

IshuliThu 07-Mar-19 10:52 AM
2146 posts
#72610, "RE: Let me be clearer"
In response to Reply #4

I can't speak for all immortals here, but assuming it's a random minor thing over a character's life - I don't see much coming of it at all.

-Ish

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72604 Previous topic | Next topic