Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72602
Show all folders

incognitoThu 07-Mar-19 08:26 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72602, "Most expensive edge cost"

How many edge points is the most expensive edge please?

Not worried about all the other requirements. Basically trying to work out whether taking an edge that I think costs 4 edge points will prevent me from taking another edge later that I really really want to try out (even though I suspect it'll be suboptimal for me to have it).

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Most expensive edge cost, Ishuli, 07-Mar-19 10:25 AM, #2
Reply RE: Most expensive edge cost, incognito, 07-Mar-19 03:22 PM, #4
     Reply Yes., Ishuli, 07-Mar-19 03:30 PM, #5
          Reply RE: Yes., incognito, 08-Mar-19 12:55 AM, #6
               Reply RE: Yes., Ishuli, 11-Mar-19 09:19 AM, #13
                    Reply That's very helpful, thank you, incognito, 12-Mar-19 03:09 PM, #15
Reply RE: Most expensive edge cost, Bemused, 07-Mar-19 08:32 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Most expensive edge cost, lasentia, 07-Mar-19 12:31 PM, #3
     Reply Lol, Kstatida, 09-Mar-19 02:11 PM, #9
          Reply This isn't accurate., Ishuli, 09-Mar-19 02:40 PM, #10
               Reply Isn't accurate or isn't "entirely" accurate, Kstatida, 10-Mar-19 01:18 PM, #11
                    Reply RE: Isn't accurate or isn't , Ishuli, 10-Mar-19 02:55 PM, #12
                         Reply You can't deathblow me, Kstatida, 11-Mar-19 10:46 AM, #14
     Reply Demielemental is stupid expensive, k-b, 09-Mar-19 01:13 PM, #7
          Reply Yup, Onewingedangel, 09-Mar-19 01:20 PM, #8

IshuliThu 07-Mar-19 10:25 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2146 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72608, "RE: Most expensive edge cost"
In response to Reply #0

I think Bemused is right in terms of what one of the (if not the) most expensive edges.

We're not normally in the business of handing out exacts on edge costs and the like.

So all I'd say is this:

How many EP is the most expensive edge? A lot. There are a chunk of current characters who could have taken it, or soon will be able to. So expensive edges are doable.

The system is made so you can't math out which exact edges to get, so I'd just pick the edge I want(ed) to experiment with, then grab the cheaper edge afterwards if I can.

-Ish

incognitoThu 07-Mar-19 03:21 PM
4495 posts
#72613, "RE: Most expensive edge cost"
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Thu 07-Mar-19 03:22 PM

Problem is, it could potentially mean not taking any edges until old age, at which point I might find out I could have taken something hundreds of hours earlier.

For example, I could take twitchy now. But not taking it now, to save points I don't need (if the cost of the edge I want is 10 edge points, say) would mean I die often to hidden characters, potentially for no reason since I could afford both (or at least aspire to).

And if the cost is 20 ep, I'll probably never have a chance to get there. So I might as well give up trying and take twitchy now.

IshuliThu 07-Mar-19 03:30 PM
2146 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72614, "Yes."
In response to Reply #4

That's typically how aiming for edges works.

All of my chars have done similar to that whenever I was aiming for a given particular edge. Sometimes I settled on a cluster of cheaper ones, sometimes I saved for the big one I was hoping for.

-Ish

incognitoFri 08-Mar-19 12:55 AM
4495 posts
#72615, "RE: Yes."
In response to Reply #5

I'm clearly not articulating my question very well so I'll give up now.

I know edges are a trade off.

That's not the same as not knowing whether an edge is ever likely to be affordable and giving up all edges for 500 hours, when old age kicks in for some final edge points, to find out it isn't anyway.

IshuliMon 11-Mar-19 09:19 AM
2146 posts
#72643, "RE: Yes."
In response to Reply #6

sorry, I must be missing something.

Let me try to be really blunt if that helps:

We don't hand out exact EP amounts for edges that I'm aware of, so I'm not going to tell you that.

There are a chunk of current characters that could either afford the most expensive edge right now, or will be able to very soon.

There are a handful of characters who could have taken the most expensive edge and then extra edges, or perhaps even the most expensive edge twice.

It is doable. It is affordable. Is it "likely to be affordable for you"? I don't know since I don't know what you plan to do with the character, how you plan to play, etc.

I hope that helps since I'm not sure what else to say .

-Ish

incognitoTue 12-Mar-19 03:09 PM
4495 posts
#72682, "That's very helpful, thank you"
In response to Reply #13

It effectively tells me that I probably won't won't save edge points forever for nothing (unless I'm short of imm exp).

Which is ultimately what I wanted to know.

I didn't want to wait until old age to get the final edge points I'm likely to get, and then discover that I don't have enough anyway, since it works mean missing out on edges for hundreds of hours (on the way to old age) for nothing.

So thanks for this answer.

BemusedThu 07-Mar-19 08:32 AM
Member since 15th Oct 2013
663 posts
#72603, "RE: Most expensive edge cost"
In response to Reply #0

I was saving for Demielemental Transcendence on my last invoker. I eventually gave up and took 6 other edges.

I'd be shocked if there was a more expensive edge than that.

lasentiaThu 07-Mar-19 12:31 PM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72611, "RE: Most expensive edge cost"
In response to Reply #1

I have heard DT is insanely high in cost.
Frightful fiend was pretty high and I think was easily the most expensive bard edge, but I don't think it compared.

I think the most expensive is actually devious versatility, just because it can be taken repeatedly, but the cost increases each time (I believe it does at least)

I think it was so expensive that no character could ever take it 3 times in the old edge point system, even though it was technically available. Not sure how the second DV compared cost wise to demielemental transcendence

KstatidaSat 09-Mar-19 02:11 PM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72625, "Lol"
In response to Reply #3

Demielemental transcendence, devious versatility and several equally awesome edges ALL have immortal experience requirement. It's up to you to find out how much exactly

IshuliSat 09-Mar-19 02:40 PM
2146 posts
#72626, "This isn't accurate."
In response to Reply #9

For shame.

KstatidaSun 10-Mar-19 01:18 PM
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72628, "Isn't accurate or isn't "entirely" accurate"
In response to Reply #10

Cause I'm pretty sure it is. DV has immexp requirement.

IshuliSun 10-Mar-19 02:55 PM
2146 posts
#72633, "RE: Isn't accurate or isn't "
In response to Reply #11

"ALL have immortal experience requirement" <-- Inaccurate.

You claimed ALL of those do, so I get to claim inaccurate, bwa ha ha ha!

Ish's petty deathblow does UNSPEAKABLE THINGS to you.

-Ish

KstatidaMon 11-Mar-19 10:46 AM
2214 posts
#72646, "You can't deathblow me"
In response to Reply #12

I'm not playing

k-bSat 09-Mar-19 01:13 PM
Member since 19th Mar 2010
344 posts
#72623, "Demielemental is stupid expensive"
In response to Reply #1

I saved for maybe 300 hours with Yanni, and still couldn't take it. Even after leader, tons of explore and observe, induct, hero, etc.

It's a nice edge, sure, but I still have yet to understand why it's so expensive. It's not THAT nice..

OnewingedangelSat 09-Mar-19 01:20 PM
Member since 22nd Jul 2009
447 posts
#72624, "Yup"
In response to Reply #7

With Sephira and all my edge points, I was never able to take it, I think I ended up settling for smaller edges.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72602 Previous topic | Next topic