Subject: "Stop spamming" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72537
Show all folders

A Longtime Lowbie (Anonymous)Sun 03-Mar-19 02:10 PM
Charter member
#72537, "Stop spamming"

I just need to rant a little, since interactions like this make me lose momentum with my character, and just want to logoff rather than try to play in ways which make other people happy.

This has happened to me a few times in recent months. I'm a low level character, I'm online, and doing something that requires a whole lot of repetition. There's not a lot of other people on, so it is a good time to do some mindless spamming, and not in a way that will bother any other players online at the time.

That spamming may include working on a skill in my guild, or looking through an area where I expect I might be able to get some explore/observation experience where I need to copy/paste a long line of commands like "exa box, exa crate, exa desk, exa drawer", because meticulously reading room descriptions for an hour at a time gives me a freaking headache after doing it with my two-hundredth character.

I understand Imms will snoop random people when there's nothing else going on, but if you see somebody doing this, why do I frequently get interrupted telling me to stop spamming? How are we supposed to explore tedious areas or learn grindy skills without spamming them? It makes me not want to play when somebody tells me not to play the way I feel like I need to play when it isn't affecting other players.

I would like to just ask if you are an imm and you notice somebody starting to spam when it isn't bothering any other players, just stop snooping. With the way the game exists where I absolutely have to spam things, all it does is frustrate me when you tell me somebody got just as annoyed at me when they snooped me as I get when I have to do the spam. Remember that players are here because we are playing a game working towards some kind of goal trying to be as efficient and end-game powerful as possible, and MUDs by their very nature require many many hours of performing repetitive tasks that are boring as hell. Give us some privacy/slack when you pop in and we are doing things that annoy you, and just go snoop somebody else.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Top

Reply Locking because this is just getting stupid, Destuvius, 03-Mar-19 04:34 PM, #10
Reply I'd have to guess, Destuvius, 03-Mar-19 03:09 PM, #4
Reply RE: I'd have to guess, Thaedan (Anonymous), 03-Mar-19 04:01 PM, #7
Reply On the other hand, incognito, 03-Mar-19 02:46 PM, #1
     Reply RE: On the other hand, A Longtime Lowbie (Anonymous), 03-Mar-19 02:52 PM, #2
          Reply To me it sounds like you might be doing something diffe..., TheBluestThumb, 03-Mar-19 03:06 PM, #3
          Reply Not to call you a liar.., Java, 03-Mar-19 03:27 PM, #5
          Reply RE: On the other hand, Ishuli, 03-Mar-19 03:46 PM, #6
               Reply Ok, a more specific logged example..., A Longtime Lowbie (Anonymous), 03-Mar-19 04:07 PM, #8
                    Reply I thought spamming rooms netted a loss for obs/expl... , Honestpaladin, 03-Mar-19 04:12 PM, #9

DestuviusSun 03-Mar-19 04:34 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72548, "Locking because this is just getting stupid"
In response to Reply #0

If an immortal asks you to stop spamming, its because you are spamming someone with what youre doing.

DestuviusSun 03-Mar-19 03:09 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72541, "I'd have to guess"
In response to Reply #0

That whatever you are doing is causing spam to someone somewhere, which is why you are being asked to stop.

For instance, I know if you are to spam tells to yourself that it will spam immortals past a certain level to high hell.

Thaedan (Anonymous)Sun 03-Mar-19 04:01 PM
Charter member
#72544, "RE: I'd have to guess"
In response to Reply #4

That's kind of funny.

incognitoSun 03-Mar-19 02:45 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72538, "On the other hand"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Sun 03-Mar-19 02:46 PM

I've never had an imm say anything when I'm skill spamming. (I don't spam in a way that would look like botting though.)

Also, I believe there is code that stops you getting OBS exp (maybe explore Exp too) if you spam, so the imm telling you to stop spamming is doing you a favour.

A Longtime Lowbie (Anonymous)Sun 03-Mar-19 02:52 PM
Charter member
#72539, "RE: On the other hand"
In response to Reply #1

No...

I've been stopped for spamming things like sneak/hide, which is critical for any stealth class and can't be learned effectively without spamming. Once I was stopped for just sending myself tells to try to skill up with improved hide, nobody else could see those tells but myself.

And it isn't the code that is stopping me. It is an imm either sending me a direct tell to stop, or switching into a mob to try to #### with me even though I'm able to interact and prove I'm not a bot.

I count 4 times it has happened to my lowbie/nobody-knows-me characters since October. That's 100% of noobs I've tried playing since Cctober experienced it at least once. I don't know if we just have a new imm that's a little too overzealous with the snooping, or if it is a new enforcement policy. But I've becoming enough of a regular occurrence that I felt I needed to say something.

TheBluestThumbSun 03-Mar-19 03:06 PM
Member since 09th Jan 2013
186 posts
#72540, "To me it sounds like you might be doing something diffe..."
In response to Reply #2

ff

JavaSun 03-Mar-19 03:27 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#72542, "Not to call you a liar.."
In response to Reply #2

But I don't believe for a second that an Immortal told you to stop spamming hide. Literally every hiding character that has ever been created does the same thing. Including every hiding character created by every Immortal ever.

Spamming tells? Sure, because that actually DOES spam other people. But hide and sneak? I'd put a decent chunk of money on that never happening, unless you were doing something utterly silly (like spamming hide/vis so you'd repeatedly pop out in front of other people and spamming them).

IshuliSun 03-Mar-19 03:46 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2178 posts
#72543, "RE: On the other hand"
In response to Reply #2

I mean, I spam up hide/sneak, and have never stopped anyone from doing so, and I've never been stopped from doing it.

What Dest said pretty much covers it. It's not really spamming unless it's spamming someone else.

Sending tells to yourself does spam imms, like Dest said.

Not sure what else off hand, but having to ask anyone to stop spamming is very, very rare.

-Ish

A Longtime Lowbie (Anonymous)Sun 03-Mar-19 04:07 PM
Charter member
#72545, "Ok, a more specific logged example..."
In response to Reply #6

This was a snippet from earlier today. There were a few rooms in an area I was exploring where I got tired of reading room descriptions when I knew there were objects I wanted to look at, and I didn't remember exactly where the objects were. This was after I had been playing for 2 hours and had gone through numerous other areas on this session. I started spamming looking for containers in that room. On the 17th time I pasted that copy/paste series of commands into those rooms, I got this message:

exa siphon
exa box
exa crate
exa portal
exa bell
exa essence
exa here fire
exa siphon
You do not see that here.

civilized/indoor <100%hp 53%m 98%mv 6317tnl 1 PM> You do not see that here.

civilized/indoor <100%hp 53%m 98%mv 6317tnl 1 PM> e

An Immortal tells you 'Stop spamming.'

How was this bothering an imm exactly? Yes, I should be RP'ing at all times, but how was it better to scare me away from my gaming session and make me not want to explore anymore than for the imm to just stop snooping me and go do something else that didn't annoy them?

HonestpaladinSun 03-Mar-19 04:12 PM
Member since 14th Feb 2017
44 posts
#72546, "I thought spamming rooms netted a loss for obs/expl... "
In response to Reply #8

I could be wrong.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72537 Previous topic | Next topic