Subject: "Ranger tame skill" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72396
Show all folders

DeathIncarnateThu 31-Jan-19 09:03 PM
Member since 29th Oct 2005
116 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72396, "Ranger tame skill"

I am asking this as a savage I have not tried it as a beastmaster.

I am wondering if tame is working as it is intended. I know the help file states the following:

TAME (2162)
Syntax: TAME

Tame is used on aggressive creatures to calm them down for a while.
Note that certain creatures cannot be tamed (undead, devils/demons,
civilized or intelligent adversaries, and dragons among them.)
Beastmaster rangers have a chance at charming any tamed natural
creature for a time.

So yes you run into an aggressive creature you do not want to kill so you tame it. However it continually tracks you and reattacks you immediately once you are not camouflaged. So if you run into half a dozen creatures you tame them all they all track you and reattack once you step out. So in the end you have no choice but to slay them unless you leave the area especially annoying for at home in the wild creatures as an outlander. Perhaps if they did not track it would be a more useful skill but how it is tame is nearly 100% useless unless I am missing something. I guess my question is tame working in this way intended?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Ranger tame skill, Ishuli, 01-Feb-19 04:25 PM, #2
Reply RE: Ranger tame skill, incognito, 02-Feb-19 05:21 AM, #4
Reply As an example , DeathIncarnate, 02-Feb-19 06:13 AM, #5
Reply My experience., Kalageadon, 03-Feb-19 08:57 AM, #6
     Reply RE: My experience., Calion, 03-Feb-19 10:50 AM, #7
Reply no one cares about rangers, Dallevian, 01-Feb-19 02:53 PM, #1
     Reply RE: no one cares about rangers, Ishuli, 01-Feb-19 04:26 PM, #3

IshuliFri 01-Feb-19 04:25 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2122 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72402, "RE: Ranger tame skill"
In response to Reply #0

I can't speak to the exact mechanics of tame, but I found it useful when I used it. Like a healer having calm so they can cut off the immediate fight.

But I also, I guess, didn't have the expectation that "calm them down for a while" translated to me being able to walk through their territory without any further issue.

I don't think it's 100% useless at all, particularly if you're a beastmaster. But even if not, being able to not immediately fight an aggro creature is decent.

I can't speak to working as intended though, sorry .

-Ish

incognitoSat 02-Feb-19 05:20 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72407, "RE: Ranger tame skill"
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Sat 02-Feb-19 05:21 AM

My recollection is that it may work to permanently (or at least, long term) de aggro aggro mobs, but not stop their progs firing and I'm not sure if it calms them if you've already fought.

I seem to recall using it to deaggro aggro owlbears so I could take a group taking in there.

DeathIncarnateSat 02-Feb-19 06:11 AM
Member since 29th Oct 2005
116 posts
#72408, "As an example "
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Sat 02-Feb-19 06:13 AM

I walk north aggro wolf attacks me so i tame him. I move south kill another mob then camo and same wolf arrives and attacks me. I can't tame him again and get the message "A wolf is not usually agressive."

So even if a mob doesn't see camo they all track you and reattack when you step out.

I guess you can use it on mobs that can't see camo. Creep and tame before they attack. Not sure if they become aggro again though.

KalageadonSun 03-Feb-19 08:57 AM
Member since 23rd Oct 2003
1040 posts
#72410, "My experience."
In response to Reply #2

I agree that it certainly isn't useless but you can only calm them once. After that, there's the echo that the animal isn't normally aggressive, so you have to kill them or leave, unless you were able to calm them while camouflage which is rare because most creatures see through camo. But, if you can calm them while camouflage then they typically aren't much of a problem anyway because you can usually just creep by them. And if you calm them while camo, it's permanent rather than temporary.

As to being a beastmaster and taming, there are very few if any mobs that are in hero range that can be tamed as pets. Most are 30's maybe low 40's, meaning they're not super useful in the end game. Still, I like the skill for it's flair.

On the other hand, it isn't the only ranger mechanic that is a little odd. Waylay/ambush is another good example because if you try to waylay something that can see though camouflage, you get the echo that they can already see you but the fight will auto initiate anyway in about 1 round which also doesn't make a lot of sense.

CalionSun 03-Feb-19 10:50 AM
367 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72411, "RE: My experience."
In response to Reply #6

>I agree that it certainly isn't useless but you can only calm
>them once. After that, there's the echo that the animal isn't
>normally aggressive, so you have to kill them or leave,

I think I reported this as a bug a long time ago, but now I'm not sure if the skill would be too good if you could just re-calm them. Maybe not, because you'd still have to fight the mob until tame succeeded again.

>On the other hand, it isn't the only ranger mechanic that is a
>little odd. Waylay/ambush is another good example because if
>you try to waylay something that can see though camouflage,
>you get the echo that they can already see you but the fight
>will auto initiate anyway in about 1 round which also doesn't
>make a lot of sense.

This I'm almost certain I've posted to the bug board eons ago. Sadly no one fixes (non-catastrophic) bugs any more. =(

DallevianFri 01-Feb-19 02:53 PM
1613 posts
#72399, "no one cares about rangers"
In response to Reply #0

i mean, i care, but immortals don't care, not since sebeok wrote them and nep tried to balance them a bit

IshuliFri 01-Feb-19 04:26 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2122 posts
#72403, "RE: no one cares about rangers"
In response to Reply #1

I don't know what you mean.

I care about rangers, and have played quite a few of them. Being super awesome simply by being in certain terrain has a somewhat relaxing playstyle feel to it for me.

Thus...

1) Ishuli is an immortal
2) Ishuli cares about rangers
3) An immortal cares about rangers

so it can't be true that immortals don't care about rangers.

Take that!

-Ish

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72396 Previous topic | Next topic