Subject: "Quests" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72385
Show all folders

GiacomoSun 27-Jan-19 08:31 PM
Member since 06th Jan 2011
9 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72385, "Quests"

Something I never understood was the max level requirement for completing quests. Why are there level caps? There should be a way to complete all quests at any level. Doing so would vastly increase player interaction and help keep boredom from settling in. At least for me it would.

And I'm not saying (or asking for) the rewards to scale with player level. If I'm completing a level 10 quest at 51, then reward would still be a level 10 shinny object.

Signed,
Giacomo

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

HatersauceTue 12-Mar-19 11:19 PM
Member since 08th Mar 2019
2 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72684, "I'd be happy just to know more than a handful of quests..."
In response to Reply #0

nt

McbethWed 13-Mar-19 09:58 AM
Member since 21st Jul 2015
257 posts
#72685, "srsly"
In response to Reply #4

follow a Quas character around some time

incognitoMon 28-Jan-19 01:55 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72387, "RE: Quests"
In response to Reply #0

There are, for example, quests that give extra hp.

Quests giving rewards like that need to be challenging. Which means you either make them all challenging for heroes, and realistically only heroes can do them, or you make some available at different ranks but cap the level they can be done at, thus offering challenge throughout the ranks.

There are also quests related to killing certain numbers of mobs. They would be more boring at hero then at lower ranks.

IshuliSun 27-Jan-19 09:01 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2146 posts
#72386, "RE: Quests"
In response to Reply #0

At least in my opinion, and I made none of these quests, it has to do with:
1) the ease of completion where a quest author expected a certain level of difficulty for achievement.
2) General location of quest + pk range.
3) Some rewards are really good regardless of level, so part of creating the quest to balance that reward involved the above two.

I personally wouldn't want it open-ended to all levels. Some quests are, some aren't, and the general range seems pretty okay with me. Having some authorial control there seems dandy.

Not like you can't still "do" the quest. You just don't get the reward. You can still kill X of whatever mob, deliver a cake to Y, etc. The RP of the quest can still very much be there despite you being ineligible for the reward.

Alternatively, quests could be made to allow you to still do them, but then ONLY reward if you are within the level range.

I don't have any interest in that either, but if that sounds objectionable, then the main desire would seem to be the reward and not the interaction/boredom.

Plus, at least for me, quests aren't ever where I've gotten most of my interactions. I tend to see people on autopilot during that stuff (no offense intended, I fall into the same thing).

PS I totally reserve the right to be entirely wrong if one of the quest authors pops in and says otherwise!

-Ish

KstatidaTue 29-Jan-19 03:56 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72388, "He's mainly talking availability of achievements"
In response to Reply #1

Because achievements boost dophamine (the thing that evaporated along with the edge points), which adds to the physiological enjoyment from the game.

That being said, for achievement to trigger dophamine injection, it should be challenging. And in this context, you are absolutely right.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72385 Previous topic | Next topic