Subject: "Outlander Excluded Races" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72260
Show all folders

Shunned (Anonymous)Sun 09-Dec-18 06:35 PM
Charter member
#72260, "Outlander Excluded Races"

I was thinking about playing an outlander with on of the races (azure-touched, dwarves, the duergars, minotaurs, orcs, goblins) the helpfile says "are not welcome to serve".

I also came across the post from a few years ago, suggesting dwarves might be cool with some outlanders:
http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=54728&mesg_id=54728&listing_type=search

And this one, suggesting imms might induct a forbidden race/class but mortals could not:
http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=46719&mesg_id=46719&listing_type=search

Is it possible for one of those races to be inducted into outlander if they roleplay it well enough?

Has it happened in the past? Are odds pretty much zero?

I couldn't find anything definitive posted in the past. Please point me in the right direction if this has already been discussed.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply You def should try it, Kstatida, 10-Dec-18 07:36 AM, #3
Reply Very possible, also very unlikely, Destuvius, 09-Dec-18 07:43 PM, #2
Reply Yes it's been done before., SPN, 09-Dec-18 07:27 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Yes it's been done before., Shunned (Anonymous), 10-Dec-18 09:39 PM, #4
     Reply Goblin was absolutely no, not ever, when I tried., ibuki, 11-Dec-18 02:26 AM, #5
     Reply These conversations always remind me of that Chappelle ..., Java, 11-Dec-18 11:22 AM, #6
     Reply That's awesome..., SPN, 11-Dec-18 09:23 PM, #8
     Reply Azures, orcs, goblins, minotaurs are a hard no., Rahsael, 11-Dec-18 12:47 PM, #7
          Reply Does this mean duergar are a maybe?, SPN, 13-Dec-18 08:33 PM, #9
          Reply I am not sure I understand the No., Kalageadon, 14-Dec-18 07:34 PM, #10
               Reply What you are asking basically is..., Tesline, 14-Dec-18 08:17 PM, #11
                    Reply Not exactly., Kalageadon, 15-Dec-18 10:26 AM, #12
                         Reply Pretty sure it's closer to, KoeKhaos, 15-Dec-18 11:22 AM, #13
                              Reply RE: Pretty sure it's closer to, Ishuli, 15-Dec-18 12:01 PM, #14
                                   Reply Wasn’t Phindar a duergar Fortress priest?, Lhydia, 15-Dec-18 12:46 PM, #15
                                   Reply RE: Wasn’t Phindar a duergar Fortress priest?, Ishuli, 15-Dec-18 12:48 PM, #16
                                        Reply Does this mean pixie lich is a maybe?, robdarken_, 15-Dec-18 09:04 PM, #21
                                        Reply RE: Does this mean pixie lich is a maybe?, Ishuli, 15-Dec-18 10:12 PM, #22
                                        Reply Don't forget Padwei, lasentia, 17-Dec-18 12:16 PM, #23
                                             Reply Yeah it was a cluster####., Daphedee, 17-Dec-18 10:34 PM, #24
                                   Reply Well.. , Kalageadon, 15-Dec-18 12:52 PM, #17
                                        Reply RE: Well.. , Ishuli, 15-Dec-18 01:01 PM, #18
                                             Reply Ugh.., Kalageadon, 15-Dec-18 01:10 PM, #19
                                                  Reply RE: Ugh.., Ishuli, 15-Dec-18 01:17 PM, #20

KstatidaMon 10-Dec-18 07:36 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72265, "You def should try it"
In response to Reply #0

Trying to get into a cabal with a combo not destined to will be a magnificient adventure by itself, as I'm totally sure you're up for it out of your adventurous nature and not powerplaying ideas like getting duergar AP with insects.

DestuviusSun 09-Dec-18 07:43 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72262, "Very possible, also very unlikely"
In response to Reply #0

Between streaky Outtie imm persona coverage right now and the fact that the bar to achieve an outside the box thing being much higher than most people care to invest, I personally would suggest against doing it (at least right now).

In your list of presented races, dwarf is pretty much the only one that has a chance greater than 0. And its not much higher than that.

SPNSun 09-Dec-18 07:26 PM
Member since 24th Oct 2004
352 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#72261, "Yes it's been done before."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Sun 09-Dec-18 07:27 PM

I played Bilgritik, dwarf shaman in Outlander.

http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=31&topic_id=55639&mesg_id=55639&page=1

There are also logs on the other board of one of the key events that transpired to get in. It is also referenced as one of the most epic moments in CF history, if for nothing else the irony of the final blow (Search for the name).

To expand on the rest of your question,it is possible, but I was told I would probably be the only dwarf, so take that for what it's worth. Current outtie Imms are different from who brought me in. Also, I had a role that really tied into Outtie lore. Nothing from keeping you from trying with other races, but some may be far harder (azure) than others (goblins maybe?)

Shunned (Anonymous)Mon 10-Dec-18 09:39 PM
Charter member
#72267, "RE: Yes it's been done before."
In response to Reply #1

Why do you say azure would be harder than goblin? I would have guessed the other way around.

ibukiTue 11-Dec-18 02:26 AM
Member since 30th Oct 2005
122 posts
Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72268, "Goblin was absolutely no, not ever, when I tried."
In response to Reply #1

With what I think was an interesting, appropriate role and lots of effort, I got no response for a month and then got a brief 'no this is never going to happen' type interaction.

JavaTue 11-Dec-18 11:22 AM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#72270, "These conversations always remind me of that Chappelle ..."
In response to Reply #1

I just want someone to roll Clayton Bigsby the blind azure and see if they can make it work.

SPNTue 11-Dec-18 09:23 PM
352 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#72272, "That's awesome..."
In response to Reply #6

Except the myopic flaw SUCKS!!

RahsaelTue 11-Dec-18 12:47 PM
Member since 05th May 2017
232 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72271, "Azures, orcs, goblins, minotaurs are a hard no."
In response to Reply #1

As a former Outlander IMM, I'll tell you that these races are inherently unnatural and offend Thar-Eris with their very existence. It would be like letting someone evil into Fortress because they're a nice sort of evil. It just can't happen.

There was a goblin Outlander applicant a little while back who was just a fantastic character. Everyone loved him, but even after much debate, the hard no remained a hard no.

Dwarves are just a tiny bit negotiable, but should still be exceedingly rare as very few dwarves would buck their powerful racial identity.

SPNThu 13-Dec-18 08:33 PM
352 posts
#72275, "Does this mean duergar are a maybe?"
In response to Reply #7

Or did you just forget to mention them?

KalageadonFri 14-Dec-18 07:34 PM
Member since 23rd Oct 2003
1040 posts
#72276, "I am not sure I understand the No."
In response to Reply #7

If the overall goal is to heal damaged "earth", shield undamaged "earth" and get vengeance for ravaged "earth" ie. Wardens, Sentinels, Ravagers. Then, why can any race given the circumstance that they already exist, are alive or have been born, take up a path towards one of those goals?

I'm speaking a bit in metaphor but, Thar-Eris could be annoyed that there's a parasite living on it, ie one of those "so called", hard no's... but happy that that crappy parasite is eating all the dead flesh in a rotting wound. Much the way that a fly larva/maggot eats dead flesh but leaves the healthy.

In this way, if an Orc, Goblin, Mino, or Azure wanted, then they too could fill the role of said maggot. After all, they'll die and rot eventually themselves and likely feed the grass with their blood during the fight anyway. Especially true if they live a life of celibacy and do not create more of their own.

If the wise ancient "Thar-Eris" isn't willing to make such a judgement call, then She seems more prideful than practical.

TeslineFri 14-Dec-18 08:17 PM
Member since 25th Jun 2010
582 posts
#72277, "What you are asking basically is..."
In response to Reply #10

For a Nazi to stop hating jews. The cabal heavily believes in genocide.

I've got a single #### to give...and it's just for you.

KalageadonSat 15-Dec-18 10:26 AM
1040 posts
#72279, "Not exactly."
In response to Reply #11

Your comparison is a bit off. What I said is much closer in your analogy to me saying, Hey.. person born with a specific looking body (ie light colored skin) over there, don't be a Nazi. And telling them to think, just because you were born this way doesn't mean you have to be a Nazi. After all, Nazism is an ingrained belief system, done through indoctrination and not simply a race.

And to elaborate more from an in game/race perspective:

I could perfectly see a Minotaur who detests the way he was conceived and desires to destroy the kinds of people who condone that kind of ordered and dark ritual. Who knows, maybe they also have a gender identity crisis and because all Minotaurs are male, they hate society even more.

I could also clearly see a goblin who loves the dark and sinister creatures of the world and despises cities much the same as Galadon detests them. Could be that their natural envious state makes them want to emulate those hussy wood elves and their natural affinity for the wilderness when it takes them time and effort to learn the ways.

I could envision an Azure-touched that although they feel the divine spark flowing within from another world, they'd rather spend their dying breath protecting the one that they're living in. And, maybe this Azure-touched wants to especially ensure that beings brought into this world, like elementals and angels, are given the freedom that they deserve unlike the unnatural part of themselves that's trapped inside the husk of a human that they were born as.

None of my above scenarios directly go against any of the inherent tendencies of the above races but are based on ideologies learned throughout life.

KoeKhaosSat 15-Dec-18 11:19 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
400 posts
#72280, "Pretty sure it's closer to"
In response to Reply #12
Edited on Sat 15-Dec-18 11:22 AM

A person who believes man made radioactive material should not be created, even if it is being used for good things, so they want to get rid of it and never allow more to be created because it is potentially very harmful to the planet. Translate that to Thar-eris view on unnatural creatures and I think it matches more closely to the lore and why Imms are so much against letting them in. They are, by simply existing, anathema to Thar-eris or some such.

IshuliSat 15-Dec-18 12:01 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2145 posts
#72281, "RE: Pretty sure it's closer to"
In response to Reply #13

This is pretty much how I think about it.

While it may be nice for a goblin to hate goblins, minotaur to hate minotaur, etc. all that MAY mean is that I'll put their extermination off until the last one. Or at least prioritize them less. It doesn't mean I let them into my Minotaur-Haters-Club, and it sure doesn't mean I approve of their existence in any way, shape, or form.

It's terribly intolerant, but pretty much all cabals are in one way or another.

-Ish

LhydiaSat 15-Dec-18 12:46 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2379 posts
#72282, "Wasn’t Phindar a duergar Fortress priest?"
In response to Reply #14

And didn’t he have weird mudsex with boa constrictors with the depper depper elf 🧝‍♀️

IshuliSat 15-Dec-18 12:48 PM
2145 posts
#72283, "RE: Wasn’t Phindar a duergar Fortress priest?"
In response to Reply #15

Dunno who that is.

But you CAN change alignment.
You CAN'T change race (at least in any way as "common" as align that I'm aware of).

That poor elf.

-Ish

robdarken_Sat 15-Dec-18 09:04 PM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
373 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#72288, "Does this mean pixie lich is a maybe?"
In response to Reply #16

when do i get it

IshuliSat 15-Dec-18 10:12 PM
2145 posts
#72289, "RE: Does this mean pixie lich is a maybe?"
In response to Reply #21

It's not a maybe.

It's a definite.

Next week, be there or be square.

-Ish

lasentiaMon 17-Dec-18 12:16 PM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72294, "Don't forget Padwei"
In response to Reply #16

The human who became a storm giant.
Though I think after, Iunna did say how they went about actually doing it, and it was a bit more involved than an alignment hit.

I can't remember if it was a modded original pfile or a new one in the end though.

DaphedeeMon 17-Dec-18 10:34 PM
Member since 31st Aug 2017
60 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72297, "Yeah it was a cluster####."
In response to Reply #23

It resulted in Padwei's age death (temporarily) and having someone fix the pfile offline. I have a pretty hilarious log of it.

It's probably the rarest thing that should happen on CF given how hard it is to adjust, never mind having a arpee reason that makes sense for it to happen in the first place.

KalageadonSat 15-Dec-18 12:52 PM
1040 posts
#72284, "Well.. "
In response to Reply #14

I am enjoying the sharing of ideas and perspectives but I'm going by the help file and lore present to people in game that people wanting to join have access to.

It says they're "not welcome" which is a big difference from hated, despised, or outright targets. And, I'm not saying that these ideas should be easily done nor that they'd ever be common. I just didn't agree with the "Hard No". It's like when Anti-Paladin's, Paladins, Shamans, etc have joined Battle in the past or that there was a Gnome Shaman in Nexus or evil people who transitioned into the Fortress.

After all, it doesn't say any of those races are hated, only that they're not welcome and "some" are hunted. The truly hated are those that are too closely tied to civilization or who wreak "havok" (spelling error?) on the Earth.

I can see classes like conjurer, necro, a-p, etc as truly "Hard No" but not the races. However, having said that, the game is ran by mortal leaders and IMM oversight. Each has their own experiences and take on things that they make their decisions on. That's part of what adds to the experience, I'm just advocating for an open mind.

IshuliSat 15-Dec-18 01:01 PM
2145 posts
#72285, "RE: Well.. "
In response to Reply #17

Per the Bark, not the helpfile, certain things are pretty unpleasant. While an AP or otherwise can abandon their spells/communes and live like a rager, racial limitations can't exactly do that.

Bark citation:

III. Endure Not That Which Offends Her
Necromantic and demonic sorcery, minotaurs, orcs, goblins, and all other aberrations to the land and nature are NOT TO BE TOLERATED IN ANY CAPACITY.

Assuming we go by that, the hard no is racially pretty clear.

Open minds are neat, but they have at least SOME restrictions. There are "hard no" spots in multiple areas, this cabal in specific happens to be a bit more focused on race than others. And nothing wrong with advocating! Conversation is how we figure stuff out .

-Ish

KalageadonSat 15-Dec-18 01:10 PM
1040 posts
#72286, "Ugh.."
In response to Reply #18

Too bad it's all tied to dark magic... Can't have those races without it. Would be a nice touch to have the hatred more at the act of their creation rather than the beings themselves but I can understand if it's creator intent.

Why weren't the Battle Ragers more effective... That must be why Orcs hate villagers so much, means they can't join Outlander because the villagers didn't stop that dark magical ritual.

IshuliSat 15-Dec-18 01:17 PM
2145 posts
#72287, "RE: Ugh.."
In response to Reply #19

Haha! That was pretty good. Now it all makes sense... The conspiracy is revealed! Damn those Battleragers!

And hey, most cabals do change over time. Who knows with the future...

Well, the only thing we DO know is that orcs will keep hating Villagers. That's as natural as butter on bread, meat on a sammich, and orcbash on an elf.

-Ish

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72260 Previous topic | Next topic