Subject: "So...have we considered letting people see edge points?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72004
Show all folders

ArtificialMon 05-Nov-18 10:50 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72004, "So...have we considered letting people see edge points?"

Like...you have 100 edge points
you can take the following edges

ehren soul (50 edge points)
bloody pecker (40 edge points)
etc?

Or else let people see what they could potentially take with more edge points? Like

you have 40 EP
ehren soul (not enough EP, need 50)
bloody pecker (40 ep)

just to make life easier?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: So...have we considered letting people see edge poi..., Rahsael, 06-Nov-18 02:09 PM, #4
Reply RE: Discourage powergaming and number-crunching, JohnEveryMan, 06-Nov-18 03:08 PM, #5
Reply 100% agree with this, Mcbeth, 06-Nov-18 04:24 PM, #6
     Reply Role from discussion thread with Ishuli last week., SPN, 07-Nov-18 10:36 AM, #9
          Reply Haha, no problem dood., Ishuli, 07-Nov-18 01:18 PM, #10
               Reply I can work with that!, Mcbeth, 07-Nov-18 04:01 PM, #12
               Reply Regen quest for with Whispers! And a Cry of Thunder che..., SPN, 07-Nov-18 09:32 PM, #13
                    Reply I was thinking a quest form of Sex Panther, Mcbeth, 08-Nov-18 01:42 AM, #15
                         Reply 60% of the time, it works everytime, Destuvius, 08-Nov-18 06:32 AM, #16
                         Reply Options..., SPN, 08-Nov-18 10:23 AM, #17
                         Reply I think this guy deserves to be on the list as well!, Marcus_, 08-Nov-18 11:07 AM, #18
                         Reply Shapefocus: shifters gone wild, laxman, 08-Nov-18 12:08 PM, #19
                         Reply RE: I was thinking a quest form of Sex Panther, Thaedan (Anonymous), 08-Nov-18 10:18 PM, #20
Reply RE: So...have we considered letting people see edge poi..., Kstatida, 07-Nov-18 02:48 AM, #7
Reply I'll elaborate for my tact-challenged friend, Saagkri, 07-Nov-18 04:07 AM, #8
     Reply Thanks, Kstatida, 07-Nov-18 01:32 PM, #11
Reply RE: So...have we considered letting people see edge poi..., Thaedan (Anonymous), 07-Nov-18 10:23 PM, #14
Reply Where the hell have you been?!, ice king, 06-Nov-18 01:23 PM, #3
Reply Why isn't this a thing?, JohnEveryMan, 06-Nov-18 12:26 PM, #2
Reply RE: So...have we considered letting people see edge poi..., Not An Imm, 06-Nov-18 10:40 AM, #1

RahsaelTue 06-Nov-18 02:09 PM
Member since 05th May 2017
232 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72024, "RE: So...have we considered letting people see edge poi..."
In response to Reply #0

Ohhhh, man. "Bloody pecker" gets me every time.

From the discussion I've seen, I think the vision was for edges to be kind of mysterious and more of a cool perk than something essential to a build. Obviously, in some cases, they're much more than just a cool perk.

There's a design philosophy here that seems to want to keep numbers behind the scenes to discourage powergaming and number-crunching. Of course, thief points are a thing, so this design philosophy hasn't really been very consistent.

I guess I can see both the good and the bad that could come from a change like this. I think more good than bad, but not by a whole lot.

JohnEveryManTue 06-Nov-18 03:08 PM
Member since 25th Aug 2012
247 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72025, "RE: Discourage powergaming and number-crunching"
In response to Reply #4

They already do that. The only people who suffer from the lack of an
explicitly visible number are the ones who aren't already in the know.

Sent from my Iphone

McbethTue 06-Nov-18 04:23 PM
Member since 21st Jul 2015
257 posts
#72028, "100% agree with this"
In response to Reply #5
Edited on Tue 06-Nov-18 04:24 PM

One of the things I appreciate about CF is that it shows hit point numbers, my previous MUD just used verbs to describe everything and it was super dumb. Showing edge point costs isn't that much different from showing 25 str or 1027 hps.

Doesn't seem like it would ruin anything to let people know how much it cost, people are pretty good about saying "I'm very strong" as opposed to "I have 25 str, beeyotch" in game. Plus it would drive engagement for players like me who really enjoy the min/maxing and could put together a set of edges they knew were attainable then work towards them.

Plus think of all the great forum discussion it would spark about how X edge should cost 2 EPs less than it does currently so someone could fit it into their otherwise perfect dagger/hand stsf/flow elf warrior build that just isn't competitive otherwise! (lol)

ps some day soon I will have time to roll another character, email me roles please and thank you

SPNWed 07-Nov-18 10:36 AM
Member since 24th Oct 2004
352 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#72042, "Role from discussion thread with Ishuli last week."
In response to Reply #6

http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=71877&mesg_id=71912&page=

And go!

Even comes with an auto-RC win (thanks Ish!)

IshuliWed 07-Nov-18 01:18 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2145 posts
#72043, "Haha, no problem dood."
In response to Reply #9

Also, the RC win automagically comes with 5 legacies and 8 quest forms. As is only fair for a proper god.

-Ish

McbethWed 07-Nov-18 04:01 PM
257 posts
#72045, "I can work with that!"
In response to Reply #10

Probably should have the aura/shield/barrier spells too, just to be fair

SPNWed 07-Nov-18 09:32 PM
352 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#72046, "Regen quest for with Whispers! And a Cry of Thunder che..."
In response to Reply #10

Delete; delete (bye bye all old characters!)

By which name do you wish to be mourned?
Bob the Conquerer

Are you sure?
#### yes!

McbethThu 08-Nov-18 01:42 AM
257 posts
#72048, "I was thinking a quest form of Sex Panther"
In response to Reply #13

fits the role

Obviously it's a re-skinned Black Jaguar, but with 25 int and 25 charisma, and auto sneak so it can perv on helpless virgins better.

It gets soul/calming/riddle/stsf/flow as its 5 legacies.

lower tier quest forms:
* Fly on the Wall - perma improved invis, enliven duo dimension, fly/flyto
* a hyena - have you seen the dongs on those things?

more ideas are welcome

DestuviusThu 08-Nov-18 06:32 AM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
#72049, "60% of the time, it works everytime"
In response to Reply #15

So it would obviously need to have assassinate

SPNThu 08-Nov-18 10:23 AM
352 posts
#72051, "Options..."
In response to Reply #15

Obviously the bonobo must be in the sex major foci list.

Honorable mentions go to the North Pacific right whale (largest testes ever recorded at over 1,100lbs) and Rafinesque's big-eared bat which has the largest balls porportionally... Over 8% of it's body weight!

Marcus_Thu 08-Nov-18 11:07 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
681 posts
#72052, "I think this guy deserves to be on the list as well!"
In response to Reply #17

laxmanThu 08-Nov-18 12:07 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#72053, "Shapefocus: shifters gone wild"
In response to Reply #17
Edited on Thu 08-Nov-18 12:08 PM

Tier 1
Horny toad - contact poison inspires a frenzy sometimes making enemies lose focus
Mangy dog - mount: attempt to grasp the leg of a prey
Worry: when mounted can savagely hump the prey doing damage
Tier 2
Jack rabbit - pack forming: when 2 rabbits are grouped they continually create an army of baby bunnies
Naughty squirrel - always hiding nuts

Tier 3
Trouser snake: spits venom, reveal its true form causing everyone to run in terror
Cock blocker: has rescue and ability to create ironic t-shirts. Gets auto lash from absurd facial hair

Tier 4
Sex panther - nuff said
Anaconda - nuff said

Thaedan (Anonymous)Thu 08-Nov-18 10:18 PM
Charter member
#72054, "RE: I was thinking a quest form of Sex Panther"
In response to Reply #15

>* Fly on the Wall - perma improved invis, enliven duo
>dimension, fly/flyto

Nah. Form = "Spanish Fly", only skill = charm person.

>* a hyena - have you seen the dongs on those things?

Dude. Those aren't dongs. Nature is scary.

KstatidaWed 07-Nov-18 02:48 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72040, "RE: So...have we considered letting people see edge poi..."
In response to Reply #4

> discourage powergaming and number-crunching

This whole concept is stupid, you know.

SaagkriWed 07-Nov-18 04:07 AM
Member since 17th Jun 2014
801 posts
#72041, "I'll elaborate for my tact-challenged friend"
In response to Reply #7

If someone enjoys the number-crunching side of the game, which is many people, and you try to discourage that by hiding the numbers, it only frustrates them and gives them an excuse to find something else they enjoy doing.

It doesn't hurt anyone if Joe likes to number crunch and min/max. To make Joe's experience less enjoyable because you do not like the aspects of CF that he enjoys or you don't like how he enjoys them is borderline pathological.

KstatidaWed 07-Nov-18 01:32 PM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72044, "Thanks"
In response to Reply #8

I've meant exactly that but was too frustrated and banned to write it down.

Thaedan (Anonymous)Wed 07-Nov-18 10:23 PM
Charter member
#72047, "RE: So...have we considered letting people see edge poi..."
In response to Reply #4

I wouldn't mind this. Some thoughts:

1. It will lead to more accurate valuation of edges. It's possible some edges may become much more popular. Edges taken 90+% of the time by eligible characters should probably get more expensive or suffer a slight nerf. Edges taken <= 10% of the time by eligible characters should probably get cheaper or be juiced slightly.

2. If an edge's functionality is nerfed then a character with that edge should have it removed and get refunded whatever points he spent on it. If h still wants it post-nerf then he can re-spend the points and take it again. Or, he can spend them on something else.

3. I still think we should tweak how EP are awarded. Realize that's not what we're talking about here and that the relevant party has zero desire to further mess with EP calculation, but wanted to say it anyway. Think my philosophy is on record in an old post somewhere.

ice kingTue 06-Nov-18 01:23 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2016
162 posts
#72023, "Where the hell have you been?!"
In response to Reply #0

You should be rolling up scarabs with me and the other cool kids.

JohnEveryManTue 06-Nov-18 12:26 PM
Member since 25th Aug 2012
247 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72021, "Why isn't this a thing?"
In response to Reply #0

Coders(er?) plz

Sent from my Iphone

Not An ImmTue 06-Nov-18 10:40 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
141 posts
#72015, "RE: So...have we considered letting people see edge poi..."
In response to Reply #0

I would get behind this. The mystery surrounding edges may have been fun when they were new. But after 15 years, it would be nice to know whether we can really add make-or-break edge combos to our character so it isn't just a hundred hours down the drain when we fall short and don't know why.

More transparency means less frustration for the players. Imm Exp requirements can still remain somewhat vague if that's what has been holding it back.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72004 Previous topic | Next topic