Subject: "Provincial/Vindicator/Justiciar" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #71436
Show all folders

JaegendarFri 24-Aug-18 09:52 PM
Member since 30th May 2014
136 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#71436, "Provincial/Vindicator/Justiciar"

Same as the past question about the requirements to become a maran in the fortress.

What do you look for or require for someone to become a Provincial/Vindicator/Justiciar.

Additionally, do you need to apply for these jobs or are they just granted/offered as someone makes the cut?

add-additionally is it the provost's call, immortals or a mixture?

-J

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

IshuliSat 25-Aug-18 09:26 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2122 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#71438, "RE: Provincial/Vindicator/Justiciar"
In response to Reply #0

Provincial is effectively left entirely to the Provost. It's one of the perks of being the top administrative power in Trib. I might offer an opinion if someone is entirely unqualified, or if they have a history of errors, etc. but it's otherwise Provost's discretion.

Justiciar/Vindicator are imm-chosen. People can, and I encourage them, to announce their intent to aim for one of these. It helps me know that I should be watching you for X or Y behavior, which I might not otherwise be scouting. Provost can absolutely contribute and say "I think this person would make a good X", and I'll take that as a vote of confidence, but the final decision is an imm one.

General expectations, with exceptions and general possible differences between chars:

Provost/Provincial: Following the laws, following the Magistrate rules, on duty time, Trib-like interactions, generally not sucking.

Vindicator: Everything involved with hunting Tribunal enemies. PK skills, chasing, scouting, raiding matter here. I don't really care about your on-duty time for this. I'd highly suggest reading the Magistrate Library Vindicator notes, plus the Vindicator scroll in its respective room.

Justiciar: Everything involved with investigations on crimes, and 'legal judgment'. On duty time matters a lot. Are your warrants accurate? Do you follow the rules to the letter? Do you correct other people? RP matters here. Similarly, read the library entries and the respective room scroll.

If I see someone doing the part in outstanding rp-fashion, it's easy to know they're interested. But since that can be hard to notice, or not easy to translate, I very much suggest a general announcement of "This is what I am aiming for" / "This is my ambition" type thing in a note/role.

As a fun side note. Goodies tend to have a hard time getting Vindicator, and evils tend to have a hard time getting Justiciar.

-Ish

JaegendarSat 25-Aug-18 03:58 PM
Member since 30th May 2014
136 posts
#71440, "RE: Provincial/Vindicator/Justiciar"
In response to Reply #1

Thank you, that was very informative.

Something that comes to mind is the mention in the magistrate "booklet" to try to remain visible to the masses to keep them in order.

I've always tried in all my tribs to stay as out of sight as possible, because that encourages criminals to do crime and to put it bluntly make it fun for me.

Would that kind of behavior be taken badly for consideration of one of these positions?

Or are those guidelines for basic magistrates malleable/just suggestions?

-J

IshuliSat 25-Aug-18 04:25 PM
2122 posts
#71441, "RE: Provincial/Vindicator/Justiciar"
In response to Reply #2

The guidelines are definitely somewhat malleable, so long as one follows the explicit words.

The actual language in the rules only specifies the required visible when marking someone as a criminal, and then informing them of why they were warranted. People tend to be lazy on this. People who are lazy on this do miss out chances for upward mobility, or at least get it delayed.

There isn't any other requirement to be visible while on duty that I'm aware of, so there is nothing negative towards anyone who hangs around hidden/invis/duo and then warrants people. It's more appealing when someone takes that and RP's it out - that is to say, understands the value of visibility in deterring crime, but maybe has a focus instead of drawing out criminals, catching, and killing them.

If you're talking about the additional books in the library, remember that some are rules/required, and some are simply guides/tips. The latter don't have to be followed.

SaagkriSun 26-Aug-18 01:05 PM
Member since 17th Jun 2014
801 posts
#71443, "Not sure if this is a rule/req..."
In response to Reply #3

But I had a Trib a long time ago and was disappointed when I read something about not attacking guildguards or entering guilds in unprotected cities.

It would be perfect for neutral/evil Tribs to be able to exert "pressure" to non-protected cities in order to encourage them to seek Tribunal protection.

IshuliSun 26-Aug-18 02:07 PM
2122 posts
#71444, "RE: Not sure if this is a rule/req..."
In response to Reply #4

You did read something to that effect. I don’t like the idea of sort of spitting out what a good/bad Trib is here, since some wiggle room is fun. And I can see someone trying to justify something via RP. Not to mention, a Provost can definitely influence certain interpretations (where they exist, not imaginary ones).

But to just give information, there is something in the Magistrate rules restricting guild entrance. It doesn’t necessarily say anything about not attacking them, but a Trib definitely can look lame if they’re attacking ‘order’ systems without some level of justification.

-Ish

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #71436 Previous topic | Next topic