Subject: "Wand Situation - Please remind me" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #71023
Show all folders

IrishMidnightMon 18-Jun-18 10:29 PM
Member since 14th Jan 2017
66 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#71023, "Wand Situation - Please remind me"

Contemplating the ol' mage thing, but I'm dragging my feet cause A) Been forever and B) the following:

If your clue is either not good enough (I'm not looking for the ask for help option here, but obviously that would be the only option IC) or rather, impossible to acquire without death or severe likelihood of death - remind me why that particular clue/wand doesn't eventually expire?

I'm trying to understand the mechanical reason why you couldn't beg/bribe your guildmaster for a replacement at even a drastic cost such as 72 game hours (I'd say hell, even 24 hours real life time for that matter). The scenario I'm picturing is a location that you'd either need solid help, or you would have to level up to hero to 'maybe' get oneself. I figure this question has come up before during my hiatus - so just curious about the why's and why not's.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply A couple things about wands, Saagkri, 28-Jun-18 12:44 PM, #10
Reply The locations do expire AFAIK, Some used-to be mage (Anonymous), 18-Jun-18 11:57 PM, #1
     Reply RE: The locations do expire AFAIK, IrishMidnight, 27-Jun-18 02:50 AM, #2
     Reply Yeah I ... don't think this is how it works., Twist, 27-Jun-18 09:25 AM, #3
          Reply is it until you grab it or until it spawns, laxman, 27-Jun-18 10:10 AM, #4
          Reply Not as far as I know..., Twist, 27-Jun-18 11:40 AM, #5
               Reply RE: Not as far as I know..., lasentia, 27-Jun-18 02:48 PM, #6
                    Reply I don't think anyone but mage can take it, Kstatida, 28-Jun-18 02:27 AM, #8
                         Reply No., Twist, 28-Jun-18 10:20 AM, #9
          Reply Appreciate the response, IrishMidnight, 28-Jun-18 02:21 AM, #7

SaagkriThu 28-Jun-18 12:44 PM
Member since 17th Jun 2014
801 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#71064, "A couple things about wands"
In response to Reply #0

Depending on your char, there are 1-3 places where you need to either get good help or burn a small pile of wands to get it on your own. The worst black rod spot (you know where) I've never gotten more than three times on a 450hr char. Although, I also got it twice in a row. . When I get that one, I just look to clear it and don't care how many rods it takes. Just getting it to cycle. I suggest making friends with a bard or healer.

As far as rods changing location without you getting them, some location are in a desk, etc. and not on a mob. There spawn when you enter the room or area I believe and if that happens and you cannot find it, you'll get another location eventually.

As for the clues, different guildmasters will give different clues. So, that might help if the first clue doesn't ring a bell. Also, ask. I've helped anyone who's ever asked and AFAIK, I know all the locations. Others do as well.

Getting blacks pre-hero can be dangerous and on some characters, I just don't. You can probably buy them from another char though.

Some used-to be mage (Anonymous)Mon 18-Jun-18 11:57 PM
Charter member
#71024, "The locations do expire AFAIK"
In response to Reply #0

Now, it may take an obnoxious amount of time like two RL weeks, but eventually that black you can't get will be someplace else.

IrishMidnightWed 27-Jun-18 02:50 AM
66 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#71056, "RE: The locations do expire AFAIK"
In response to Reply #1

Unless there's a link to an immortal confirming this - I'm not sold

TwistWed 27-Jun-18 09:25 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#71057, "Yeah I ... don't think this is how it works."
In response to Reply #1

I didn't code it, but I was involved in writing the hints and helping to select new locations for some of the crappier ones, and I'm pretty sure once you have a location, that's the location until you gather that one.

I've been wrong before, though, so...

laxmanWed 27-Jun-18 10:10 AM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#71058, "is it until you grab it or until it spawns"
In response to Reply #3

For instance if it’s on a big bad you can’t kill but you go fight him will it pop crumble/reboot and then you get a new spot?

TwistWed 27-Jun-18 11:40 AM
3431 posts
#71059, "Not as far as I know..."
In response to Reply #4

I don't think it spawns on a mob until the mob dies (by the hand of the mage or one of the mage's groupmates).

lasentiaWed 27-Jun-18 02:48 PM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
#71060, "RE: Not as far as I know..."
In response to Reply #5

Spawn at death is the only way the system would make sense.

Otherwise the mage strikes the mob, black spawns, if mage dies/flees whatever, anyone else can then kill and get the wand unless there was a crumble timer, which also would not work because the mage may come back 2 days later and the wand might be gone.

I can't imagine it ever worked like that.

KstatidaThu 28-Jun-18 02:27 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#71062, "I don't think anyone but mage can take it"
In response to Reply #6

Similar with aura/shield.

TwistThu 28-Jun-18 10:20 AM
3431 posts
#71063, "No."
In response to Reply #8

Once it spawns (mob dies), anyone can pick it up. I've had this happen with my chars - killing a mob with a groupmate and I get dirt kicked or blinded or something, and the groupmate picks up the rod and hands it to me later.

IrishMidnightThu 28-Jun-18 02:21 AM
66 posts
#71061, "Appreciate the response"
In response to Reply #3

Even if speculation, it's meaningful coming from staff. I do wish I knew the reason it might have been purposefully coded that way as the variety of spawn points can be rough, especially the added variable of whichever mage class one happens to be.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #71023 Previous topic | Next topic