Subject: "A discussion on Avengers" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #70931
Show all folders

OnewingedangelMon 28-May-18 10:02 PM
Member since 22nd Jul 2009
447 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70931, "A discussion on Avengers"

Erhiadkeb's death thread reminded me of just how sub par this dedication has become. Lowest defensive capabilities of all paladin specs, and offensive power does not match that of Polearm or hand.

What are all of your thoughts on how to bring back up to speed but not be an instant powerhouse?

My opinion is to just add an extra attack to their dedication, see how that plays out.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Simple fix: Play human and never rank past 30., Tac, 13-Jun-18 02:56 PM, #23
Reply RE: Simple fix: Play human and never rank past 30., Thaedan (Anonymous), 13-Jun-18 07:43 PM, #24
Reply Paladins, Saagkri, 29-May-18 06:36 AM, #7
Reply Nah the reason is different, Kstatida, 29-May-18 10:43 AM, #13
     Reply Not convinced, incognito, 29-May-18 08:59 PM, #15
          Reply The reason jalim stopped playing pallies, Kstatida, 30-May-18 02:19 AM, #17
               Reply RE: The reason jalim stopped playing pallies, incognito, 30-May-18 04:12 AM, #18
               Reply Everyone can exploit bat spam, Kstatida, 30-May-18 04:39 AM, #19
                    Reply RE: Everyone can exploit bat spam, incognito, 30-May-18 01:07 PM, #21
               Reply RE: The reason jalim stopped playing pallies, Thaedan (Anonymous), 30-May-18 07:32 AM, #20
                    Reply He stopped playing pallies before he stopped playing, Kstatida, 31-May-18 02:38 AM, #22
Reply Offensive power of avengers, Destuvius, 28-May-18 10:07 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Offensive power of avengers, Onewingedangel, 28-May-18 10:17 PM, #2
     Reply RE: Offensive power of avengers, Thaedan (Anonymous), 28-May-18 11:28 PM, #3
          Reply Avengers are decent, incognito, 29-May-18 12:26 AM, #4
          Reply He wouldn't, Kstatida, 29-May-18 03:25 AM, #5
               Reply Avengers can lag., incognito, 29-May-18 03:49 AM, #6
                    Reply There's a solid difference between lag and lag, Kstatida, 29-May-18 07:47 AM, #8
                         Reply RE: There's a solid difference between lag and lag, Thaedan (Anonymous), 29-May-18 09:27 AM, #9
                         Reply Exactly, Kstatida, 29-May-18 10:38 AM, #11
                         Reply RE: There's a solid difference between lag and lag, incognito, 29-May-18 09:40 AM, #10
                              Reply That's much more finesse-driven, Kstatida, 29-May-18 10:40 AM, #12
                              Reply An Avenger won't nerf an assassin's dex, Java, 29-May-18 11:49 AM, #14
                              Reply RE: An Avenger won't nerf an assassin's dex, incognito, 29-May-18 09:03 PM, #16
                              Reply Eh., Eskelian, 02-Jul-18 02:26 PM, #25
                                   Reply RE: Eh., incognito, 02-Jul-18 05:26 PM, #26
                                        Reply Not sure class balance should depend on a limit 1 item ..., jalbrin, 02-Jul-18 06:06 PM, #27
                                        Reply RE: Not sure class balance should depend on a limit 1 i..., incognito, 02-Jul-18 08:46 PM, #28
                                        Reply IIRC it doesn't remove it, but does make it 1 handed..., Tac, 03-Jul-18 09:33 AM, #29
                                        Reply Defiance is a big game changer., Eskelian, 05-Jul-18 11:45 AM, #30

TacWed 13-Jun-18 02:56 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#71017, "Simple fix: Play human and never rank past 30."
In response to Reply #0

There, now you have a powerhouse Avenger. Everything after 30 is basically useless.

Thaedan (Anonymous)Wed 13-Jun-18 07:43 PM
Charter member
#71018, "RE: Simple fix: Play human and never rank past 30."
In response to Reply #23

lvl30 level-sitting Avenger, meet lvl35 level-sitting Assassin.

SaagkriTue 29-May-18 06:36 AM
Member since 17th Jun 2014
801 posts
#70940, "Paladins"
In response to Reply #0

I don't know if avengers are weak compared to other dedications, but I do know that they aren't weak compared to a lot of other classes.

Paladins seem to get a lot of attention, but maybe it would be best to make a list of the weakest classes and give a boost to those first.

KstatidaTue 29-May-18 10:43 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70947, "Nah the reason is different"
In response to Reply #7

Removal of mandatory empowerment and less strict approach to empowerment by imms has allowed a new stratum of players play the paladins and make the class more popular.

You get hardcore PvPers to play the class - you get its design exploited as never before.

incognitoTue 29-May-18 08:59 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70949, "Not convinced"
In response to Reply #13

Jalim rocked paladins for years. So did someone else whose name escapes me as I'm knackered.

Bat is a bit of a screwy skill and a jalim could exploit it just as well as anyone else.

KstatidaWed 30-May-18 02:19 AM
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70954, "The reason jalim stopped playing pallies"
In response to Reply #15

was wrath nerf.

incognitoWed 30-May-18 04:12 AM
4495 posts
#70955, "RE: The reason jalim stopped playing pallies"
In response to Reply #17

I'd argue his ability to exploit wrath spam means he would be good at exploiting bat spam.

KstatidaWed 30-May-18 04:39 AM
2214 posts
#70956, "Everyone can exploit bat spam"
In response to Reply #18

once you learns that you have to be elf to maximize the bat effectiveness and speed. And it takes PK-focused player to research that.

incognitoWed 30-May-18 01:07 PM
4495 posts
#70958, "RE: Everyone can exploit bat spam"
In response to Reply #19

I played elf champion ages ago but didn't use bat much at all because it seemed screwy and because I didn't like the idea of being dispelled and tried to death. Heh.

In all seriousness I actually disliked having to enter multiple commands each round. Too much effort for me these days.

My elf champion was a scribe too and got told to stop being aggressive in pk.

Thaedan (Anonymous)Wed 30-May-18 07:32 AM
Charter member
#70957, "RE: The reason jalim stopped playing pallies"
In response to Reply #17

Guessing RL stuff played a big part. Not with respect to paladins in particular, but to CF in general.

KstatidaThu 31-May-18 02:38 AM
2214 posts
#70960, "He stopped playing pallies before he stopped playing"
In response to Reply #20

But yeah

DestuviusMon 28-May-18 10:07 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
#70932, "Offensive power of avengers"
In response to Reply #0

I think you are vastly under representing the dmg output of strikes. Avengers I think aren't subpar so much as they are more work. They can do a lot of quirky stuff, but it requires more finesse to pull off.

If anything, I'd like to see the duration and affects of the templars defense moves be increased to the point where you could get some meaningful maledictions going if you opt to invest the commands into it.

OnewingedangelMon 28-May-18 10:17 PM
Member since 22nd Jul 2009
447 posts
#70933, "RE: Offensive power of avengers"
In response to Reply #1

I could maledicts improvements being a nice improvement to them. Templars defense can blind, bleed, drop str, or even dex, depending on weapon, so believe? Also this is making me want to try another.

I've given Templars defense a few trys in the past, and it always seemed lackluster or very niche. Might just be a not getting the whole perspective thing, though.

Thaedan (Anonymous)Mon 28-May-18 11:28 PM
Charter member
#70934, "RE: Offensive power of avengers"
In response to Reply #1

I've only ever played a defender, and that was more than a decade ago. As an outsider looking in, though, avengers seem like crappy monks. Whereas the avenger has some huge damage moves, the monk can achieve roughly the same effect by intensifying. Instead of one big move he gets a few rounds of super-juiced melee.

Fun thought exercise: how would Erhiadkeb's player fare playing an avenger? We've seen what he can do with champion and monk. He was actually considerably less deadly with the monk, but part of that may have been due to different priorities for the character. That, and monks not being able to extract as much benefit from top-shelf gear, e.g. eagle-inscribed staff, bal'talon, defiance, etc.

incognitoTue 29-May-18 12:26 AM
4495 posts
#70935, "Avengers are decent"
In response to Reply #3

With temperance they tank exceptionally well. At least my elf did.

Also they can lag reliably. And can lag on a damage burst move.

The maladictive ability outside of hilt smash is not quite good enough though, imho.

KstatidaTue 29-May-18 03:24 AM
2214 posts
#70936, "He wouldn't"
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Tue 29-May-18 03:25 AM

because you can't lag. You'll see him performing a shield ded though.

incognitoTue 29-May-18 03:49 AM
4495 posts
#70938, "Avengers can lag."
In response to Reply #5

Nt

KstatidaTue 29-May-18 07:47 AM
2214 posts
#70941, "There's a solid difference between lag and lag"
In response to Reply #6

Avengers can't lag you to kill like defenders or champions, their only hope for a kill is burst.

Thaedan (Anonymous)Tue 29-May-18 09:27 AM
Charter member
#70943, "RE: There's a solid difference between lag and lag"
In response to Reply #8

Same with monks, right? He played one of those.

KstatidaTue 29-May-18 10:38 AM
2214 posts
#70945, "Exactly"
In response to Reply #9

And like you said, it was not nearly as deadly.

incognitoTue 29-May-18 09:40 AM
4495 posts
#70944, "RE: There's a solid difference between lag and lag"
In response to Reply #8

I disagree. You can, for example, nerf an assassin's Dex just before you lag them and you'll do a lot of damage in that lag if they haven't covered the start. Sure if you just lag then it won't be great.

KstatidaTue 29-May-18 10:40 AM
2214 posts
#70946, "That's much more finesse-driven"
In response to Reply #10

Long story short, it is much harder to seal a kill as avenger (and monk, for that matter), than with storm defender (who can permalag) or an elf champion (who can permalag but less reliably).

JavaTue 29-May-18 11:49 AM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#70948, "An Avenger won't nerf an assassin's dex"
In response to Reply #10

The maledicts just aren't enough to be effective for anything at hero. Unless something has changed, the templar defense maledicts don't even stack.

The lag is ok, but it won't come close to permalag. And when you only have third attack without dual wield, your passive melee damage isn't enough to be enough to win many fights by itself.

All the while (unless you have temperance) you're soaking up damage because all you have is parry and every melee class you fight knows a weapon you don't.

incognitoTue 29-May-18 09:03 PM
4495 posts
#70950, "RE: An Avenger won't nerf an assassin's dex"
In response to Reply #14

At least one move can do a lot to nerf Dodge.

Not sure after all this time whether it was down to ruining dex or something directly influencing Dodge. But I had it used on one of mine and then used it effectively against other Dodge based classes. Think it was the low spin with the mace? Unless that was the lagging move.

Also don't forget that a number of virtues address parry or defense.

EskelianMon 02-Jul-18 02:25 PM
2023 posts
#71096, "Eh."
In response to Reply #10
Edited on Mon 02-Jul-18 02:26 PM

Your lag options aren't great as a 2h ded and your maledictions are very low (like -2 dex). So assuming you did 4 of those and they didn't wear off and they stacked (they didn't used to but I haven't played in a very long time) and for some reason he hasn't left...then you do a lag maneuver and you have to hope he doesn't parry or shield block your attacks in the one round he can't flee for...that's not realistic. In practice when I killed someone it was because I striked them down to almost dead then used call lightning or chase + wrath to finish.

You're pretty much always better off letting them lag themselves and then doing strike burst and hoping/praying it kills them.

If you do manage to kill people as a 2h with the lag moves it'll be because of gear procs mid round if you're setup with stacked gear that does that.

The maledictions a 2h ded has are really weak as far as maledictions go and in general assassins will wreck you because of kot. You're never going to win a malediction war against an assassin as a 2h paladin...his moves are just more punishing than yours by several orders of magnitude.

incognitoMon 02-Jul-18 05:26 PM
4495 posts
#71103, "RE: Eh."
In response to Reply #25

With defiance and temperance you can. At least, when I last played one and kot wrist break didn't remove a no disarm weapon.

jalbrinMon 02-Jul-18 06:06 PM
Member since 20th Apr 2009
211 posts
#71104, "Not sure class balance should depend on a limit 1 item ..."
In response to Reply #26

Nt

incognitoMon 02-Jul-18 08:46 PM
4495 posts
#71106, "RE: Not sure class balance should depend on a limit 1 i..."
In response to Reply #27

Nor should it necessarily depend on a drawn out maladiction fight with an assassin. Fortitude would probably also work well.

And that aside, I did suggest somewhere that perhaps it also nerfs dodge. But I know that somehow it can cause assassins issues. Not sure if I'm thinking back to before dex changes though.

TacTue 03-Jul-18 09:33 AM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#71111, "IIRC it doesn't remove it, but does make it 1 handed..."
In response to Reply #26

Which pretty much is the same for a 2hand ded as not having a weapon. You still parry, but you don't get strikes or templar's.

EskelianThu 05-Jul-18 11:44 AM
2023 posts
#71126, "Defiance is a big game changer."
In response to Reply #26
Edited on Thu 05-Jul-18 11:45 AM

I've never had it personally. I don't really expect most paladins to have it.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #70931 Previous topic | Next topic