Subject: "Lag bug." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #70369
Show all folders

AthiolesFri 30-Mar-18 03:51 PM
Member since 09th Jan 2011
392 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70369, "Lag bug."

This seems to be getting worse. Does anyone know what's causing it? Basically every lag attack short of pincer seems to be semi-consistently off by 1 round of lag.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Top

Reply Schrödinger's Lag Bug, Korsgaard, 07-Apr-18 02:48 PM, #2
Reply Cmud, incognito, 07-Apr-18 04:00 PM, #3
Reply I don't want to shut you down but, robdarken_, 07-Apr-18 04:31 PM, #4
Reply That said, incognito, 07-Apr-18 04:46 PM, #5
     Reply Logs of the issue should clearly show..., Saagkri, 07-Apr-18 04:55 PM, #6
     Reply That's a good point., robdarken_, 07-Apr-18 05:02 PM, #7
Reply It's telnet protocol, man, Kstatida, 07-Apr-18 05:08 PM, #8
Reply RE: It's telnet protocol, man, robdarken_, 07-Apr-18 05:12 PM, #9
     Reply I experienced it w/o triggers in action, Kstatida, 07-Apr-18 05:37 PM, #10
          Reply Not insinuating that you abuse triggers *some edits, robdarken_, 07-Apr-18 07:01 PM, #11
          Reply Annnnnd Zinszar was thirsting in that log., robdarken_, 07-Apr-18 08:23 PM, #17
          Reply I've looked into it as much as I can, Korsgaard, 07-Apr-18 08:47 PM, #18
          Reply I think you've done good here., robdarken_, 07-Apr-18 09:01 PM, #20
               Reply Can of Worms, Korsgaard, 07-Apr-18 09:44 PM, #21
                    Reply I don't think it needs to be that complicated., robdarken_, 07-Apr-18 10:31 PM, #22
                    Reply RE: I don't think it needs to be that complicated., Kstatida, 08-Apr-18 02:11 AM, #24
                         Reply Possible explanations, incognito, 08-Apr-18 02:23 AM, #26
                         Reply All invalid, Kstatida, 08-Apr-18 03:42 AM, #29
                              Reply RE: All invalid, incognito, 08-Apr-18 06:45 AM, #34
                              Reply RE: All invalid, robdarken_, 08-Apr-18 08:06 AM, #37
                              Reply RE: All invalid, Thaedan (Anonymous), 08-Apr-18 01:24 PM, #38
                                   Reply Might be the case, Kstatida, 09-Apr-18 02:03 AM, #39
                                        Reply RE: Might be the case, Thaedan (Anonymous), 09-Apr-18 10:01 AM, #47
                                             Reply RE: Might be the case, Kstatida, 09-Apr-18 10:44 AM, #49
                         Reply Don't forget that time..., Saagkri, 08-Apr-18 02:40 AM, #27
                         Reply I remember that time, Kstatida, 08-Apr-18 03:45 AM, #30
                              Reply RE: I remember that time, Saagkri, 08-Apr-18 04:35 AM, #
                              Reply RE: I remember that time, Saagkri, 08-Apr-18 04:35 AM, #33
                              Reply Terrain is not a factor in bearcharge lag, only size., -flso, 13-Apr-18 01:35 PM, #53
                                   Reply RE: Terrain is not a factor in bearcharge lag, only siz..., Thaedan (Anonymous), 13-Apr-18 03:34 PM, #56
                                        Reply Nep has said so in the past and it's been my own experi..., -flso, 13-Apr-18 04:16 PM, #57
                         Reply This log looks a bit screwy to me, incognito, 08-Apr-18 02:30 AM, #28
                         Reply The log is uncut, Kstatida, 08-Apr-18 03:47 AM, #31
                         Reply This I've seen for a long time...., Tac, 09-Apr-18 09:42 AM, #45
                         Reply RE: I don't think it needs to be that complicated., robdarken_, 08-Apr-18 07:05 AM, #35
                    Reply The solution is easier, Kstatida, 08-Apr-18 03:54 AM, #32
                         Reply RE: The solution is easier, robdarken_, 08-Apr-18 07:12 AM, #36
                              Reply That doesn't fix the problem, Kstatida, 09-Apr-18 02:10 AM, #40
                                   Reply You're a lost cause., robdarken_, 09-Apr-18 07:37 AM, #41
                                   Reply RE: You're a lost cause., Kstatida, 09-Apr-18 08:58 AM, #42
                                        Reply RE: You're a lost cause., robdarken_, 09-Apr-18 09:25 AM, #43
                                             Reply RE: You're a lost cause., Kstatida, 09-Apr-18 10:47 AM, #50
                                   Reply Bug Hunting, Korsgaard, 09-Apr-18 10:35 AM, #48
                                        Reply RE: Bug Hunting, Kstatida, 09-Apr-18 10:53 AM, #52
                                        Reply You've been proven wrong so many times yet you keep goi..., Concerned player (Anonymous), 13-Apr-18 01:47 PM, #55
                                        Reply Please don't waste any more time on this, Concerned player (Anonymous), 13-Apr-18 01:52 PM, #54
                                             Reply This is not how anonymous feature is to be used, Kstatida, 13-Apr-18 07:01 PM, #58
          Reply i've had it happen to me, Dallevian, 07-Apr-18 08:48 PM, #19
          Reply Nah, Kstatida, 08-Apr-18 02:04 AM, #23
          Reply Hold on, I take that back, robdarken_, 07-Apr-18 07:08 PM, #13
               Reply Are you thinking the tick was a round of combat? nt, Saagkri, 07-Apr-18 07:12 PM, #14
                    Reply Nah., robdarken_, 07-Apr-18 07:17 PM, #15
                         Reply BUT, robdarken_, 07-Apr-18 07:29 PM, #16
                              Reply No copy/paste issues, the log isn't edited, Kstatida, 08-Apr-18 02:13 AM, #25
Reply MushClient - sophisticated aliases, zero gameplay impac..., Mcbeth, 07-Apr-18 07:00 PM, #12
Reply RE: MushClient - sophisticated aliases, zero gameplay i..., Tac, 09-Apr-18 09:28 AM, #44
Reply Some of this is above, but in case you don't see it..., Tac, 09-Apr-18 10:00 AM, #46
     Reply All types, Korsgaard, 09-Apr-18 10:47 AM, #51
Reply Trip is the easiest one to notice, happens very often e..., Mcbeth, 30-Mar-18 04:56 PM, #1

KorsgaardSat 07-Apr-18 02:48 PM
Member since 03rd Oct 2017
76 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70384, "Schrödinger's Lag Bug"
In response to Reply #0

In all my play time as mortal and immortal, I have yet to experience anything close to what has been described.

I have done testing with just about every immortal trying to recreate the scenario and have yet to discover anything odd or interesting to note.

That does not mean it doesn't exist, because clearly we have numerous people commenting the same findings. I can only assume that the people who have seen it have something in common with the others who have also seen it.

I am beginning to think there are triggers or alias at work along with specific clients, so to narrow down the search, here's what I think we could do as a community.

All those who have experienced the lag bug, please comment below with which client you use, any triggers/alias/scripts - and maybe we can get down to the bottom of things. Note: I do not care if you use any of the above - I just want to gain clarity for all those affected.

I use MushClient - I use zero triggers/alias/scripts and have NOT seen the lag bug.

incognitoSat 07-Apr-18 04:00 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70385, "Cmud"
In response to Reply #2

Or maybe it's zmud. Whichever is the more modern of the two.

I've not observed anything like the lag issues.

But then I don't input commands until I believe lag is about to finish because I might change my mind about what the command should be. So if trip lagged me for only one round, I'm unlikely to notice.

I'll also note that I never really gank so if it is anti gank then I wouldn't see it.

I don't use triggers.

I use aliases that I write on the fly. So if I'm hunting Bob I'll write a couple of aliases that I think I'll need. Other than that my aliases are for stuff like quaff teleport. I also have aliases for cumbersome commands like the Templars defense ones.

robdarken_Sat 07-Apr-18 04:01 PM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
373 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#70386, "I don't want to shut you down but"
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Sat 07-Apr-18 04:31 PM

Client specific behavior can't cause server-side abnormalities. There is no difference between a client connection and a raw telnet connection in regards to how it affects the CF servers.

I'm not saying somebody's client couldn't be causing a problem on their end, but if the bug exists (haven't played recently enough to know), it's not going to have anything to do with a particular client.

Additionally, there is nothing CF could rarely send to make people not see particular combat rounds. So they'd have to have some sort of trigger/gag doing that.

Sounds promising right? Two problems with that:
1) It's going to be consistent. It'd take a very deliberate effort to gag certain combat rounds and not others, impossible to do by mistake.
2) If that were the case (or in the case of packet loss), then in the logs sent claiming to be an example of the lag bug, they'd be missing hp (at least some of the time, if they don't block everything) from the round that happened but they didn't see. From what I've seen people sharing, that isn't the case.

incognitoSat 07-Apr-18 04:46 PM
4495 posts
#70387, "That said"
In response to Reply #4

If all those experiencing it happened to use chase triggers with trip, say, then it might indicate that there's some code that messes with lag where trigger use seems likely.

SaagkriSat 07-Apr-18 04:55 PM
Member since 17th Jun 2014
801 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70388, "Logs of the issue should clearly show..."
In response to Reply #5

whether it has anything to do with the client. We can see the echo when the command is sent to the mud in a log.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but curious if anyone else has seen this issue:

It's probably happened 5-10 times that I've noticed over the last several years. I input a command, command is sent to mud, a new prompt comes up (indicating that the MUD got the command, but nothing happens. Command is essentially ignored other than getting a prompt update. Don't remember the commands, but pretty sure they weren't the same. I remember it happening in combat a couple times, but can't say it hasn't happened out of combat.

robdarken_Sat 07-Apr-18 05:02 PM
373 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#70389, "That's a good point."
In response to Reply #5

I don't know what the CF code looks like to say, but if something broke (maybe when they went from 32 bit to 64 bit?), that sounds plausible. That's a good idea and should be pretty easy to test.

Several people here are claiming to see it regularly so it would be really helpful if they would record and upload it (to streamable.com or something).

It would make it much easier to tell whether it's real or not, and being able to see the timing would probably help a coder diagnose what's going wrong, especially if the player shows their triggers, gags and aliases directly after.

Something like Nvidia shadowplay or AMD ReLive would be useful for them if they don't want to use the diskspace to constantly record.

KstatidaSat 07-Apr-18 05:07 PM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70390, "It's telnet protocol, man"
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Sat 07-Apr-18 05:08 PM

Unless there is a code in place that "identifies" trigger use and deliberately ####s up lag for characters/players, it should not matter.

And if such code is in place, the "lag bug" should not be called "chaotic". Seeing where it's going, I start a conspiracy theory that Umiron has create an automated screw lag code because he hates automation.

I am experiencing lag bug A LOT in all kinds of situations. Only today I have seen it happen twice.

robdarken_Sat 07-Apr-18 05:12 PM
373 posts
#70391, "RE: It's telnet protocol, man"
In response to Reply #8

I'm inclined to agree but, it's true that with, in daurwyn's example a chase trigger, your client could respond with an input timing that a human would almost never do on their own, and so if something is broken (mud combat and lag code is pretty janky looking in general), it might only arise frequently under a condition only a trigger could regularly meet.

Anyway, would you be willing to record this (see my other post)? At least then you won't have to keep arguing about whether or not it's happening. It would be very helpful.

KstatidaSat 07-Apr-18 05:37 PM
2214 posts
#70392, "I experienced it w/o triggers in action"
In response to Reply #9

See this log, it has no triggers in place, all input is manual. The lag was bugged 3 times during 2-3 minutes of a fight:

http://www.qhcf.net/phorum/read.php?3,1104875,1104875#msg-1104875

HOWEVER, long before that fight, Grokko was put into RotD for trigger abuse, which is why I have the idea of trigger-identifying code.

robdarken_Sat 07-Apr-18 06:04 PM
373 posts
#70393, "Not insinuating that you abuse triggers *some edits"
In response to Reply #10
Edited on Sat 07-Apr-18 07:01 PM

Just using them to illustrate a way in which things could break for some people and not others.

With regard to your log, it's not a good example. The first commented instance of what you thought was buggy behavior is completely normal and the second one can be explained by latency. For reference, I've played from 2006-2014.

I've played many thugs and orcs, and I'm very comfortable with the way cheapshot works. It takes the pulses of lag of trip from about 24 to 27 for the victim, just enough to get your command in before theirs if you don't take too long.

Don't take this as me saying your log is necessarily not an example of it occurring in the second case, but it's hard to tell for sure here, I know you are from Russia, which should net you at least a ~120ms ping, so ~60ms for your command to reach the server.

That's rather small but it is enough with the right timing for this to unfold this way. In any given case, latency could be even higher, either on your end, or CF's end. And if you play from work there may be a VPN involved in there.

It's also easy to suspect lag here because in one instance one of your commands goes through rather late after you input it.

This is why a desktop/window recording would be much better evidence of its existence. You could look at the video frame by frame in a program like Avidemux and see every interval of 16ms with timestamps if you record at the default 60fps in shadowplay or the like. And from there if it's clear it's real, it would be much easier to tell where it's going wrong code-wise.

Now Rhyaldrin responds later in the thread you made, linking to this:
https://www.carrionfields.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=292

From that we have this:
-wilderness (61%) (91%) (100%) -outdoor- (5 PM)>>
With a powerful leap, Dzuxoks executes a rising crescent kick on you!
Dzuxoks's mountain storm kick DISMEMBERS you!
Zinszar delivers a blow of deadly force!
You parry Zinszar's slash.
You dodge Zinszar's slice.
You dodge Zinszar's slash.
You begin to get a feel for Dzuxoks's preferred attacking movements.
You parry Dzuxoks's slash.
You dodge Dzuxoks's slash.
Zinszar parries your piercing venoms.
Zinszar parries your piercing venoms.
Seizing upon a flaw in Zinszar's tactics, you trip him and he goes down!
Your leg is torn up by a pair of golden spiked leggings!
Zinszar's jagged leggings grazes you.
Your trip barely scratches Zinszar.
Zinszar is convulsing on the ground.

-wilderness (55%) (91%) (100%) -outdoor- (5 PM)>> artery zin

You get in one more shot on Zinszar as he flees.
Your parting blow EVISCERATES Zinszar!
Zinszar has fled!

-wilderness (55%) (91%) (100%) -outdoor- (5 PM)>>
You parry Dzuxoks's slash.
Dzuxoks deflects your piercing venoms with his shield.
Dzuxoks has some small but disgusting cuts.

-wilderness (55%) (91%) (100%) -outdoor- (5 PM)>>
Faldeikso leaves.

-wilderness (55%) (91%) (100%) -outdoor- (5 PM)>> artery dzu
They aren't here.
Dzuxoks parries your piercing venoms.

-wilderness (55%) (91%) (100%) -outdoor- (5 PM)>> With a powerful leap, Dzuxoks executes a rising crescent kick on you!
Dzuxoks's mountain storm kick MUTILATES you!

Unless those spiked leggings did something (and I thought they only did damage), this could be an example of it definitely happening.

Zinszar also does not have any legacy relevant to the discussion:
http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=31&topic_id=58561&mesg_id=58563&page=1

edit: clarification, too many parenthesis, etc.

robdarken_Sat 07-Apr-18 08:09 PM
373 posts
#70399, "Annnnnd Zinszar was thirsting in that log."
In response to Reply #11
Edited on Sat 07-Apr-18 08:23 PM

Yeah, at this point, if I were an Imm, I would also probably think this isn't a real bug by now.

Which is to say, without even seeing what they have seen, I strongly doubt this is a real thing now.

KorsgaardSat 07-Apr-18 08:47 PM
76 posts
#70400, "I've looked into it as much as I can"
In response to Reply #17

Hopefully any response is better than no response, but on my end there is nothing to report.

I had hoped the client/trigger/alias/script experiment would reveal some pattern that could maybe give a clue, but that seems to not be the case.

I dunno at this point! :/

I don't want to treat it like the kid who cried wolf - if people are legitimately having issues I'd like to help, but all I've got is the process of elimination and if there are no outliers where does that leave us.

robdarken_Sat 07-Apr-18 09:01 PM
373 posts
#70402, "I think you've done good here."
In response to Reply #18

You got the discussion ball-rolling and hopefully it'll keep going. I don't mean to flood the thread here as I think it through, but hopefully it's been of some good.

I've seen some logs with the missing combat round issue but, being logs they all have the same potential of human error. In the case of the Grokko one, I'd say that was the smoking gun, but the one bit that looked like a bug was the only one he didn't comment, so I think it was a copy/paste mistake.

A video capture would convince me. Would that work for you guys? If someone shares the real thing you could forward it to Umiron or Scarab.

I think that might be what needs to happen here unless you happen to catch it while snooping someone.

KorsgaardSat 07-Apr-18 09:44 PM
76 posts
#70403, "Can of Worms"
In response to Reply #20
Edited on Sat 07-Apr-18 09:44 PM

We can't really ask a player to do that for a number of reasons, because it could potentially open a can of worms if not handled correctly or with care - so I'll tread carefully around the idea.

And if it did happen, it would be best if it was not publicly shared which I'll go into later, but it would require something like...

A video capture program to show the client in action.
Maybe some traceroutes to CF.
Maybe layer something like that program 'carnac' which shows any buttons being pressed with an on screen display next to the client - that could sync everything up and maybe reveal if there's anyone lagging themselves or how long commands take from when they're entered, etc if you have any other ideas I'm missing to rule out manipulation of the text.
Does a control need to be established by doing every race/class combo? I don't really know if those variables are important.

And if there's good enough data capture on the bug with a character, what time, supporting log, and then the video shared on youtube/streamable supporting the log with program details - maybe it would help.

Because it's such a weird and possibly HUGE undertaking, I don't really want to ask any player to create a throwaway character, youtube/streamable account, whatever - all for the sake of troubleshooting a potential bug.

And on the issue of it being shared publicly, don't want characters in the log trolled, outed, or edited for the sake of authenticity. So yea, it's a weird can of worms and a difficult process, which could all be for nothing.

robdarken_Sat 07-Apr-18 10:23 PM
373 posts
#70404, "I don't think it needs to be that complicated."
In response to Reply #21
Edited on Sat 07-Apr-18 10:31 PM

Right now it's still a question if this bug even happens. So my focus on that. If it's really happening then I would worry about narrowing the details down from there. There are people saying they see it multiple times a day, if I were them, I'd be motivated to prove it just to get it fixed.

If I saw the Grokko thing in real-time (victim flees after one round of trip with no explanation for it), that would certainly do it for me, guess you have to decide how much you think is necessary here.

For recording I'd use shadowplay, download geforce experince to get it if you have an nvidia graphics card (or use ReLive on AMD), you can set it to constantly record the last few minutes of the screen (it won't capture only a mud-client window) and press a hotkey to save it.

It is pretty simple to use and setup. If someone is concerned about their privacy, they can either crop the video afterward, which is not as much work as it sounds like, or actively record the mud-client window with OBS instead.

As for uploading it, I mentioned streamable because it doesn't require an account, is trustworthy and will compress the filesize without butchering the quality. Youtube, marked private and only email it to an imm who agrees to receive them for the paranoid.

The carnac thing is a good idea but it's too much to ask, and it should be obvious from how the game responds if they're doing anything extra.

So my instructions would be simple:
When the bug happens (grokko tier, guy fleeing 1 round after trip), right afterward show your gags and triggers, then save the recording, include the last 2 minutes before the part where you think you see the bug. Upload it, send link to imm, include in the e-mail body the timestamp where the fighting starts.

KstatidaSun 08-Apr-18 02:11 AM
2214 posts
#70406, "RE: I don't think it needs to be that complicated."
In response to Reply #22

You trip Rotsignar and he goes down!
Your trip scratches Rotsignar.
You can't find the opening you need to kick Rotsignar while he's down.
Rotsignar is gushing blood.

wilderness <100%hp 100%m 99%mv 666tnl 12 PM>

The rain ceases.

wilderness <100%hp 100%m 100%mv 666tnl 1 PM>

You dodge Rotsignar's wrath.
Rotsignar delivers a blow of deadly force!
You parry Rotsignar's wrath.
Rotsignar turns your cleave aside with a quick blow.
Rotsignar parries your chop.
Rotsignar parries your cleave.

trip Rotsignar

Rotsignar has fled!
Rotsignar leaves east.

*** What I see her is a person fleeing 1 round after a successful trip. Tell me how can this happen if it's not a bug.

dism
Silverwood

( 2) A crudely made iron spear lies discarded here.
A vicious warg has arrived.

trip Rotsignar
The Southern Crossroads

A sign points south towards Silverwood and the Goblin Village.
Rotsignar is here.
A vicious warg has arrived.

trip Rotsignar
civilized <100%hp 100%m 100%mv 666tnl 1 PM>
trip Rotsignar
You climb down off the back of a vicious warg.

Seizing upon a moment of weakness, you kick Rotsignar while he's down!
Your vicious attack injures Rotsignar.
Rotsignar yells 'Help! Grokko tried to trip me!'

trip Rotsignar
trip Rotsignar

Your cleave DISMEMBERS Rotsignar!
Rotsignar dodges your cleave.
Your chop MUTILATES Rotsignar!
A vicious warg screams and attacks Rotsignar!
Rotsignar is writhing in agony.

Rotsignar is writhing in agony.

Rotsignar has fled!
Rotsignar leaves north.

*** This here is three trips stacked in before the first trip even starts, then two more stacked immediately after trip. "Latency issues" is an obvious ####.

incognitoSun 08-Apr-18 02:23 AM
4495 posts
#70408, "Possible explanations"
In response to Reply #24

Bloodthirsty?
Prone defense edge?
Harmonious?

KstatidaSun 08-Apr-18 03:42 AM
2214 posts
#70411, "All invalid"
In response to Reply #26

The character was analyzed thoroughly by the imms. Andno. I initiatedfights, so no bf.

incognitoSun 08-Apr-18 06:45 AM
4495 posts
#70417, "RE: All invalid"
In response to Reply #29

It is possible to beat bloodthirst to the attack.

Not sure how but I've seen it happen once in a log.

robdarken_Sun 08-Apr-18 08:06 AM
373 posts
#70420, "RE: All invalid"
In response to Reply #34

Under normal conditions you shouldn't be able to. But dash can do it. I used 'dash e bash bard' to deal with elven bards while berserking on an Orc, since it allows bash to go through before the auto-attack every time.

Not that I think that guy's thirsting.

Thaedan (Anonymous)Sun 08-Apr-18 01:24 PM
Charter member
#70422, "RE: All invalid"
In response to Reply #29

Just a guess: maybe the code is *mistakenly* concluding that certain characters *do* have harmonious, prone defense, etc. when they actually don't, and then treating their lag as if they did.

KstatidaMon 09-Apr-18 02:03 AM
2214 posts
#70425, "Might be the case"
In response to Reply #38

I don't know how harmonious works, Umiron said "no, it's 1 line and it's definitely not messing".

When talking about timing, I have become suspicious late in Gromm's time (Tummel case), and I have become sure with Grokko (Rotsignar's case). At first the idea was he was awarded Harmonious, when we found out he was not, it narrowed down to bug.

Thaedan (Anonymous)Mon 09-Apr-18 10:01 AM
Charter member
#70439, "RE: Might be the case"
In response to Reply #39

Might be worth sticking a log statement next to the code that shortens lag for characters with harmonious, et. al. that just spits out the character's name whose lag is being shortened.

After that's been live for a week, grep the logs for a list of characters who the game is treating as if they have harmonious (et. al.) and verify that they actually have that legacy/edge.

KstatidaMon 09-Apr-18 10:44 AM
2214 posts
#70441, "RE: Might be the case"
In response to Reply #47

I think either Dest or Umiron said that Harmonious removes a small amount of pulses from lag, whilst lag bug issues I witness half the lag in question, which is harder than Harmonious. So I'm inclined to believe that Harmonious is not the culprit here.

My SWAGs are: memory leaks, nage-waza tuning byproduct (as it was the only lagging move that was widely discussed at the moment).

At the same time, like with the recent qhcf log, one suspicious case was wimpy firing during lag (I believe it does fire mid-lag, although rare), the other case was heavy armor shaman halfing the trip lag against gank (it's pretty awesome if heavy armor has a chance to actually HALF the lag), but those are good examples of something that might look as buggy behavior to a biased beholder actually not being such.

SaagkriSun 08-Apr-18 02:30 AM
801 posts
#70409, "Don't forget that time..."
In response to Reply #24
Edited on Sun 08-Apr-18 02:40 AM

That you bearcharged my thief (Heaghul or Tummel I think) near the rager village and I was able to flee. I was thinking that an enlarged giant bearcharging a half-drow would be perma lag, but you'd know better than me. Though it was kinda funny since you first taunted me about my certain doom while I was snared.

As far as the second example, I know when you stack certain commands, you can prevent their execution. An IMM (I forget who...Umi or Dest?) said on this forum that if you stack too many flees, it can prevent you from fleeing.

KstatidaSun 08-Apr-18 03:45 AM
2214 posts
#70412, "I remember that time"
In response to Reply #27

And I attribute it to terrain being forest.

However yes, whe that happened I was dumbfounded, but bearcharge lag is more random than trip.

SaagkriSun 08-Apr-18 04:35 AM
801 posts
#70415, "RE: I remember that time"

I was surprised as well. I think I probably typed flee;stand when you attacked.

SaagkriSun 08-Apr-18 04:35 AM
801 posts
#70416, "RE: I remember that time"
In response to Reply #30

I was surprised as well. I think I probably typed flee;stand when you attacked.

-flsoFri 13-Apr-18 01:35 PM
Member since 02nd Oct 2007
296 posts
#70482, "Terrain is not a factor in bearcharge lag, only size."
In response to Reply #30

nt

Thaedan (Anonymous)Fri 13-Apr-18 03:34 PM
Charter member
#70485, "RE: Terrain is not a factor in bearcharge lag, only siz..."
In response to Reply #53

Not saying you're wrong, but are you sure about that? Without seeing the code, it seems like a difficult thing to say with any certainty.

Last time I played a forester, seemed like bearcharges were considerably worse in swamps/marshes.

-flsoFri 13-Apr-18 04:16 PM
Member since 02nd Oct 2007
296 posts
#70486, "Nep has said so in the past and it's been my own experi..."
In response to Reply #56

nt

incognitoSun 08-Apr-18 02:30 AM
4495 posts
#70410, "This log looks a bit screwy to me"
In response to Reply #24

When you get the echo about the rain, you shouldn't also get the echo about his condition?

So another possibility is that the echo is being treated as a combat round, or there is a combat round without attacks or with filtered attacks only, or there's a copying error. Only the first of these would be a bug.

KstatidaSun 08-Apr-18 03:47 AM
2214 posts
#70413, "The log is uncut"
In response to Reply #28

That way my lag from trip should've been cleared as well, but it hadn't.

TacMon 09-Apr-18 09:42 AM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#70437, "This I've seen for a long time...."
In response to Reply #28

When ticks happen, or in-between tick updates... (I'm not sure when weather updates happen) weirdness with rounds happens. Like some things which should be 2 rounds are 1 (as an attacker). I can't say it happens every time, but it definitely happens around ticks *sometimes*.

The lag bug looks suspect in general because of so many mis-identified cases that are explained otherwise, but there may be *something* there, it's just hard to tell.

If I was looking, I'd look at the tick update code and how Zulgh broke that out to multiple in between tick updates and see if something in that code is screwy, because, well it is, but what exactly is hard to say.

robdarken_Sun 08-Apr-18 07:05 AM
373 posts
#70418, "RE: I don't think it needs to be that complicated."
In response to Reply #24

It's weird that you didn't comment that first one in the log. Sorry but I'm not convinced.

In the second case here, just because you stacked it on your end doesn't mean it made it there on time.

KstatidaSun 08-Apr-18 03:54 AM
2214 posts
#70414, "The solution is easier"
In response to Reply #21

You, Rahsael, Twist or someone else of the more pk competent imms play a predictable lag build and concentrate on pk extensively. You'll encounter it in no time.

Trip/cheapshot, throw, pincer, lash, that sort of thing.

I can't reliably reproduce it, but once again, I encounter it a lot.

robdarken_Sun 08-Apr-18 07:12 AM
373 posts
#70419, "RE: The solution is easier"
In response to Reply #32

You know I'd think the guy who claimed to see it twice yesterday would be the most motivated to clip the damned thing.

Guess you get to keep arguing about whether it's real or not.

KstatidaMon 09-Apr-18 02:10 AM
2214 posts
#70426, "That doesn't fix the problem"
In response to Reply #36

What I see here is case of denial, not attempting to reproduce.

We have at least three pk-oriented players who are competent enough at lagging people to death who say it's not working as it should be: me, beront, Rhyaldrin.

That's why I suggest what I suggest. A consensus should be established that the bug exists in the first place. And that involves imm reproducing it.

robdarken_Mon 09-Apr-18 07:13 AM
373 posts
#70433, "You're a lost cause."
In response to Reply #40
Edited on Mon 09-Apr-18 07:37 AM

I started off of the opinion that this is probably real before participating in this thread. I even started just a little sour at Korsgaard because I thought he was trying to explain it away as people just messing up their clients. Surely with all the complaining it must be a real thing right?

As we go along, it looks more and more like that's a big 'N O'. But please, explain my motivation for denial.

Beront is categorically insane (and also laggy).
Rhyaldrin used a log with a thirsting berserker as an example of the bug.
And not only do you evidently not understand latency, but you even think a behavior that's existed for nearly two decades is an example of the 'bug', based on the Grokko log. So you can check yourself right off your little list.

You don't think the imms have been trying to reproduce it? This is getting to bigfoot levels of idiocy.

I spoon fed you a method to prove this well enough to convince anyone with any sense, but for some reason you don't want to do it, even though you claim to see it so much you saw it twice on the day of the discussion. And I mean think about this one, you're the one saying they're not trying to reproduce it, so wouldn't you want to provide the impetus for them to actually go look? Hmmm.

Maybe it's YOU who's in denial and you don't want to admit you're wrong?
But nooo. Everybody ELSE should work to prove your claim, because you're too busy trying to combine your strain of HIV with frosty's to make super-AIDS, right?

KstatidaMon 09-Apr-18 08:58 AM
2214 posts
#70434, "RE: You're a lost cause."
In response to Reply #41

>you even think a behavior that's existed for nearly two decades is an example of the 'bug', based on the Grokko log

Explain yourself.

>You don't think the imms have been trying to reproduce it?

I have never stated so. I said "what I see here is a case of denial". But do go on making things up. This conversation goes on for about a year, it seems that you were absent the whole time.

>I spoon fed you a method to prove this well enough to convince anyone with any sense

I spoon fed you the other method which would be much more effective. Because mystic experience is much better than watching a video and is much less resource consuming.

And most importantly, there's only one person whose opinion matters on this case - it's Umiron, not you. My video won't convince him, your video won't convince him. The only thing that will convince him is Twist saying "Yeah, something's wrong with this ####, I didn't get PK I should've got".

But please do go on making irrelevant remarks about Frosty.

robdarken_Mon 09-Apr-18 09:25 AM
373 posts
#70435, "RE: You're a lost cause."
In response to Reply #42

>Explain yourself.

At the start of your log, you commented out that bit like it was something strange. It's not. The guy was lagged for two combat rounds as usual + the cheapshot lag. Your command wound up being timed so close to the round that it bled into the round itself. This has always been the case and when that happens you find yourself lagged extra long (up to an entire round). That you don't know that and claim to be a competent pker blows my ####ing mind.

>>You don't think the imms have been trying to reproduce it?
>I have never stated so.

Your first sentence in the post I responded to literally says "What I see here is case of denial, not attempting to reproduce."

>I spoon fed you the other method which would be much more effective. Because mystic experience is much better than watching a video and is much less resource consuming.

What the ####, a "mystic experience"? And the video thing is so simple you should be able to figure it out instantaneously. All you do is install, act as normal, when it happens press a hotkey. There's no resource consumption here worth noting, it's stored in an impossibly small section of VRAM until you hit the button.

>And most importantly, there's only one person whose opinion matters on this case - it's Umiron, not you. My video won't convince him, your video won't convince him. The only thing that will convince him is Twist saying "Yeah, something's wrong with this ####, I didn't get PK I should've got".

Twist isn't going to go on a bigfoot hunt for something that apparently doesn't exist. And some guy who apparently doesn't know how lag works posting chopped up logs isn't about to change that either. I mean ####, if a video isn't good enough for you now, why did you even bother trying to share a log?

I'm done following you down your little rabbit-hole, I'll leave you to your ghost stories about a phantom bug since you resolutely refuse to do anything useful.

KstatidaMon 09-Apr-18 10:47 AM
2214 posts
#70442, "RE: You're a lost cause."
In response to Reply #43

>What the ####, a "mystic experience"?

Google mysticism, my illiterate friend. Done here.

KorsgaardMon 09-Apr-18 10:35 AM
76 posts
#70440, "Bug Hunting"
In response to Reply #40

>And that involves imm reproducing it.

I think that's the point I made at the beginning. To date, we have not been able to reproduce it in many pk situations.

To Quote Doctor Seuss:

I would not, could not find the lag bug in the rain.
Not in the dark. Not in a cave,
Not in a bar, Not with a mage.
I do not find the bug, you see.
Not in a house. Not in a box.
Not with a mouse. Not with a fox.
I did not find the bug here or there.
I did not find it anywhere!

KstatidaMon 09-Apr-18 10:53 AM
2214 posts
#70444, "RE: Bug Hunting"
In response to Reply #48

>>And that involves imm reproducing it.
>
>I think that's the point I made at the beginning. To date, we
>have not been able to reproduce it in many pk situations.

Yeah I get it, and I thank you for the effort because taking time to investigate something that can't be easily reproduced and you're not even sure is there is one hell of a pain in the arse (software developer talking here). Which drives me to ask - what builds were those? The builds I have experienced it with are:

1. Orc with trip
2. Goblin with trip
3. Assassin with trip
4. Assassin with throw

I might be overobsessed, sure, but I can surely tell the difference between 1 round lag and 2 round lag. Hell, Destuvius always makes fun of me exactly because of that.

Concerned player (Anonymous)Fri 13-Apr-18 01:47 PM
Charter member
#70484, "You've been proven wrong so many times yet you keep goi..."
In response to Reply #52

None of your assumptions makes sense or is backed with solid evidence.
You haven't made the slightest effort to provide data that can be validated (you must be a great software developer!).

Rather, your only arguments seem to be "I saw it so it's real!" and
"Rhyaldrin is a great PKer so the bug exists" , when he's mosdef at least as clueless as you are.

Concerned player (Anonymous)Fri 13-Apr-18 01:41 PM
Charter member
#70483, "Please don't waste any more time on this"
In response to Reply #48
Edited on Fri 13-Apr-18 01:52 PM

It's clear Kstatida and Rhyaldrin don't know what they are talking about,
how many times do they have to be proven wrong / not able to read a log properly?

Robdarken is right, the amount of Sisyphean tail chasing here defies belief.

KstatidaFri 13-Apr-18 07:01 PM
2214 posts
#70487, "This is not how anonymous feature is to be used"
In response to Reply #54

dear -fiso-. Thank you.

DallevianSat 07-Apr-18 08:48 PM
1618 posts
#70401, "i've had it happen to me"
In response to Reply #17

i've cast spells with no rounds in between

i've had non-bash lag be halved

super rare, like 5 times in the past 5 years

tt++, no triggers

zmud, no triggers

KstatidaSun 08-Apr-18 02:04 AM
2214 posts
#70405, "Nah"
In response to Reply #11

There are three instances of lag bug in the log I posted. I have ping of about 140, very stable, there were no latency issues in the log.

1. A person walks away from cheap shot trip.
2. A person flees and walks past me (3 commands) before my second trip lands.
3. A person walks away from SPAMMED cheap shot trip.

So no, it can't be explained by latency, as I have seen it with my own eyes and I am very experienced with lagging ppl to death.

robdarken_Sat 07-Apr-18 07:08 PM
373 posts
#70395, "Hold on, I take that back"
In response to Reply #10

There is one screwy one in your log:

You can't find the opening you need to kick Rotsignar while he's down.

The rain ceases.

Rotsignar delivers a blow of deadly force!
Rotsignar turns your cleave aside with a quick blow.

trip Rotsignar

Rotsignar has fled!
Rotsignar leaves east.

That is not normal. I've seen a combat round go without a single attack before, but I think only on a low-level slowed transmuter.

SaagkriSat 07-Apr-18 07:12 PM
801 posts
#70396, "Are you thinking the tick was a round of combat? nt"
In response to Reply #13

nt

robdarken_Sat 07-Apr-18 07:17 PM
373 posts
#70397, "Nah."
In response to Reply #14
Edited on Sat 07-Apr-18 07:17 PM

I'm thinking there's only one round of combat here. I remember that it might be possible to have a combat round with no attacks (and thus no prompt), but I only remember this happening one time as a level 12 muter while slowed against a slowed one-attack NPC.

So one round of combat is "missing". This guy didn't get lagged for two combat rounds like he should have been.

robdarken_Sat 07-Apr-18 07:29 PM
373 posts
#70398, "BUT"
In response to Reply #15

He might have just been copy pasting the log in chunks and not copied the round of combat here (I don't believe he'd doctor it on purpose).

That's is the issue with logs.

KstatidaSun 08-Apr-18 02:13 AM
2214 posts
#70407, "No copy/paste issues, the log isn't edited"
In response to Reply #16

You can see a person walking in and then going further and me doing nothing (however I had trip spammed), which is exactly that missing round.

McbethSat 07-Apr-18 07:00 PM
Member since 21st Jul 2015
257 posts
#70394, "MushClient - sophisticated aliases, zero gameplay impac..."
In response to Reply #2

I use a system of targetting aliases to define up to three targets and call targetted skills/spells against them. On my warriors, this includes a layered set of aliases to allow for better dashing (blows my mind that more do not use this). Something the_joker said on the qhcf forum about dash working less for people who use it immediately after a combat caught my attention, I sorta hope that was him just being a blowhard/making #### up because obviously any code like that would catch way more people who are not abusing triggers than it would catch trigger abusers.

Anecdotally I think I miss WAY more trips against near-dead people who have just fled from me. And the ones I hit are often not lagging 2 full rounds, and this includes against classes such as non-harmonious warriors or untranced assassins who shouldn't have any lag protection built in. I'm sure I notice those more than others, but gee it seems like I miss like 75% of trips where I either dash and catch the person one room away or move quickly and trip separately still one room away (when I'm on a warrior, thief or assassin).

However, I could also easily produce logs from the last few months that clearly show other times where trip is working perfectly for me in the situations outlined above. *shrug*;*cry*

TacMon 09-Apr-18 09:28 AM
2050 posts
#70436, "RE: MushClient - sophisticated aliases, zero gameplay i..."
In response to Reply #12

>I use a system of targetting aliases to define up to three
>targets and call targetted skills/spells against them. On my
>warriors, this includes a layered set of aliases to allow for
>better dashing (blows my mind that more do not use this).
>Something the_joker said on the qhcf forum about dash working
>less for people who use it immediately after a combat caught
>my attention, I sorta hope that was him just being a
>blowhard/making #### up because obviously any code like that
>would catch way more people who are not abusing triggers than
>it would catch trigger abusers.

This code definitely exist as anti-Marcus measures.

TacMon 09-Apr-18 10:00 AM
2050 posts
#70438, "Some of this is above, but in case you don't see it..."
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Mon 09-Apr-18 10:00 AM

Where have you been doing your testing? Was it in Limbo or whatever and some area without weather? The more I think about it, the more likely I think that whatever is wonky is wonky specifically with weather and weather updates. Have you done any testing in outdoor areas with weather (and weather changes)?

KorsgaardMon 09-Apr-18 10:47 AM
76 posts
#70443, "All types"
In response to Reply #46

Open areas and closed areas.

Weather and Indoors. All terrains.

McbethFri 30-Mar-18 04:56 PM
Member since 21st Jul 2015
257 posts
#70370, "Trip is the easiest one to notice, happens very often e..."
In response to Reply #0

nt

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #70369 Previous topic | Next topic