Subject: "Visible immortal comments" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #69674
Show all folders

JaegendarSun 07-Jan-18 03:00 AM
Member since 30th May 2014
136 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69674, "Visible immortal comments"

Have you considered making immortal comments visible to the mortal while they are still alive?.

I often see comments in the premium like "I wish you would stop grouping with orcs" or "It's not cool that you are getting help from wanteds as a tribunal". This would be a good way to course correct instead of stumbling straight into a ruined char because of a mistake the char might not be aware of. Far more efficient than "dreams".

I was thinking that a downside of this would be that you could get less money from premium battlefields, but because only the char itself can see those comments other people will probably be interested in buying them so they can get to know the char. Not to mention the char itself would still like to see pk stats and what not.

-Jaegendar

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply On a philosophical level..., Rahsael, 07-Jan-18 12:53 PM, #2
Reply RE: On a philosophical level..., Kstatida, 07-Jan-18 03:26 PM, #3
     Reply RE: On a philosophical level..., Rahsael, 07-Jan-18 05:25 PM, #4
     Reply For a more mainstream version than Steve Jobs..., Twist, 07-Jan-18 09:30 PM, #5
          Reply Wow that's a serious cultural difference, Kstatida, 09-Jan-18 02:44 AM, #6
               Reply This explains so much., KoeKhaos, 09-Jan-18 03:48 AM, #7
               Reply Adds a new perspective, rather, Kstatida, 09-Jan-18 07:40 AM, #8
               Reply I didn't say he wanted to come back..., Twist, 09-Jan-18 09:13 AM, #9
                    Reply Ah that kind of redemption, Kstatida, 09-Jan-18 01:34 PM, #10
Reply RE: Visible immortal comments, Umiron, 07-Jan-18 07:44 AM, #1

RahsaelSun 07-Jan-18 12:53 PM
Member since 05th May 2017
232 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69677, "On a philosophical level..."
In response to Reply #0

...uninductions are never OOC punishments. They don't "ruin" a character. They're completely IC, and, for the most part, completely reversible.

When I see a character get booted from a cabal, demoted, anathematized, etc., I always hope they'll use it as an opportunity to grow their character or take it in a new direction. If you get fired from your job, the answer isn't suicide - it's change or redemption.

A Fort member's slip toward darkness and journey to redemption could be incredibly fun to roleplay, and lend a ton of flavor to a character that might otherwise just be standard. An Outlander booted for hanging with orcs could take the opportunity to study orcish society and decide it's actually great, and become an advocate for it. Or maybe they'll spend some time with orcs and realize what abominations they are, and come back to the Ancients with even firmer beliefs.

I know there are going to be people arguing that it does ruin a character, or that it isn't fun to try to roll with an uninduction. I'd argue that it isn't fun because most people take it personally, hate the loss of powers they've come to rely on, and refuse to try to have fun with it. So they end up deleting instead, which I think is a huge waste of an opportunity to do something really memorable.

KstatidaSun 07-Jan-18 03:26 PM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69678, "RE: On a philosophical level..."
In response to Reply #2

>direction. If you get fired from your job, the answer isn't
>suicide - it's change or redemption.

That's just not true. The only answer for being fired is "#### you assholes". Always was, always will be. Anyone seen a "redemption" after being fired? Please

RahsaelSun 07-Jan-18 05:25 PM
Member since 05th May 2017
232 posts
#69679, "RE: On a philosophical level..."
In response to Reply #3

http://www.businessinsider.com/steve-jobs-apple-fired-returned-2017-7

TwistSun 07-Jan-18 09:30 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#69680, "For a more mainstream version than Steve Jobs..."
In response to Reply #3

A guy I once worked with was fired for screwing off playing online games instead of working.

He was told that was why he was being fired.

He applied for a different position and used me as a reference. He got the job, and has been quite successful at it, because he learned not to screw off and play games while at work.

KstatidaTue 09-Jan-18 02:44 AM
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69696, "Wow that's a serious cultural difference"
In response to Reply #5

I've never ever seen or even known about someone wanting to come back after being fired in Russia. Wanting to trample and bankrupt those who fired him - sure. Asking to be let back in? Never.

KoeKhaosTue 09-Jan-18 03:48 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
400 posts
#69697, "This explains so much."
In response to Reply #6

KstatidaTue 09-Jan-18 07:40 AM
2214 posts
#69698, "Adds a new perspective, rather"
In response to Reply #7

We are different, I doubt it still surprises anyone

TwistTue 09-Jan-18 09:13 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#69699, "I didn't say he wanted to come back..."
In response to Reply #6

If we had asked him to return, he would probably have said "Thanks but no thanks." while thinking "Screw you guys."

I said he learned a lesson and was better for it.

KstatidaTue 09-Jan-18 01:34 PM
2214 posts
#69701, "Ah that kind of redemption"
In response to Reply #9

I thought he came into the same company.

UmironSun 07-Jan-18 07:44 AM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69676, "RE: Visible immortal comments"
In response to Reply #0

Oftentimes we try to course correct characters RP through NPC interactions, echoes, etc., but if we simply wrote OOC comments about the character and then let the player read them in real-time, it would pretty much defeat the point of a role-playing game where and it would certainly take a lot of the magic and quality out of the game for us, if not most of you, anyway.

So this one's a negative, I'm afraid.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #69674 Previous topic | Next topic