Subject: "Aristole Fire giant / your role doesn't make sense. Dur..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #69059
Show all folders

JaegendarMon 02-Oct-17 03:15 PM
Member since 30th May 2014
136 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69059, "Aristole Fire giant / your role doesn't make sense. Dur..."

I like to play giants, because english is not my first language (even tou I feel quite confident with it). So its easier to play dumb races that talk like "Me jaegendar, what want?".

Howeeeever, during interviews I get all these kinds of philosophical questions. "What are you thoughts about the veil, how did it came to be""Tell me 5 times where jurisdiction does not apply to your job as a magistrate",etc. And then it seems as if I am expected to unscrew my fire giant head and screw on my elven head for the duration of the interview for fear of not getting inducted.

Another thing that freaks me out on inteviews is when people dismiss your role.

For example: I was trapped in Veran as a young felar and got traumatized by magic from seeing the fezzard and the big ball of fleshy chaos. So that's why I hate magic. (simplified example of course)

Interviewer: That was all it took for you to be traumatized by magic?, If you got lost in the sewers then you will hate civilization forever and ever?.

What do you do in these two interviewing instances?. Last it happened I just threw my arms up, deleted the char and threw the role in the garbage. I really didn't see any other choice.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Aristole Fire giant / your role doesn't make sense...., Rahsael, 04-Oct-17 11:11 PM, #11
Reply RE: Aristole Fire giant / your role doesn't make sense...., Saagkri, 04-Oct-17 08:05 PM, #8
Reply Reminds me how I once inducted into Tribunal, Murphy, 02-Oct-17 08:56 PM, #5
Reply "By accident" And you thought he was the dummy. n/t, Saagkri, 04-Oct-17 08:07 PM, #9
Reply Did you get Liffy'd?, SPN, 04-Oct-17 08:33 PM, #10
     Reply There were two, Kstatida, 05-Oct-17 10:41 AM, #13
Reply RE: Aristole Fire giant / your role doesn't make sense...., Jarmel, 02-Oct-17 06:30 PM, #4
Reply RE: Aristole Fire giant / your role doesn't make sense...., Kstatida, 03-Oct-17 03:37 AM, #6
Reply I never break roles, Kstatida, 02-Oct-17 04:44 PM, #2
Reply Like with Kaer, who was a pyromaniac, Kstatida, 02-Oct-17 04:46 PM, #3
Reply How could I not induct Kaer?, Homard, 04-Oct-17 03:49 PM, #7
Reply Zhen yen rejected my Ranger Scion pledge., Onewingedangel, 05-Oct-17 09:53 AM, #12
Reply Orcs get auto-inducted to Clan Grinning Skull, Tac, 02-Oct-17 03:41 PM, #1

RahsaelWed 04-Oct-17 11:11 PM
Member since 05th May 2017
232 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69076, "RE: Aristole Fire giant / your role doesn't make sense...."
In response to Reply #0

People aren't always rational. Characters in a fantasy world definitely aren't.

My advice would be to embrace your character's brand of crazy, and don't give up.

Here's what I would do.

Me: "I was trapped in Veran as a young felar and got traumatized by magic from seeing the fezzard and the big ball of fleshy chaos. So that's why I hate magic."

Interviewer: "That was all it took for you to be traumatized by magic? If you got lost in the sewers, then would you hate civilization forever?"

Me: "I've seen the sewers, and they're ugly. But that fezzard and big ball of fleshy chaos, they were just WRONG! Almost drove me crazy just to look at it! That kinda stuff just shouldn't exist!"

Be creative and fun with it!

SaagkriWed 04-Oct-17 08:05 PM
Member since 17th Jun 2014
801 posts
#69073, "RE: Aristole Fire giant / your role doesn't make sense...."
In response to Reply #0

Unless your sphere is honesty, there's nothing wrong with telling a mortal leader what your character knows he wants to hear. Especially after a poor first interview. Figure out what he's looking for and tell him a good story. Just try not to forget it or:

Commander: You fought well, Jisco. You would have made your sister proud.
Jisct: I never had a sister.
Commander: You told me mages killed your sister!
Jisco: (sweating) Oh. Oooohhh, THAT sister.
Commander stares at you.

MurphyMon 02-Oct-17 08:56 PM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69064, "Reminds me how I once inducted into Tribunal"
In response to Reply #0

a hoof-handed minotaur who didn't know how to read and write and failed pretty much all answers to my questions.

But he had DETERMINATION.

He did alright in the end, though I did have to babysit him for a while. (He also almost killed me by accident. Twice.)

SaagkriWed 04-Oct-17 08:07 PM
Member since 17th Jun 2014
801 posts
#69074, ""By accident" And you thought he was the dummy. n/t"
In response to Reply #5

nt

SPNWed 04-Oct-17 08:33 PM
Member since 24th Oct 2004
352 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#69075, "Did you get Liffy'd?"
In response to Reply #5

nt

KstatidaThu 05-Oct-17 10:41 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69079, "There were two"
In response to Reply #10

minotaurs under Murphy in Tribunal. One was Twist, one was Liffy.

Let's guess who that was

JarmelMon 02-Oct-17 06:30 PM
Member since 19th Jul 2015
375 posts
#69063, "RE: Aristole Fire giant / your role doesn't make sense...."
In response to Reply #0

Why cant they be answered honestly? And not knowing the background but:

Veil (And I am not going to giant speech it)
- I dont know much about it but live a long time so learn
You dont always have to be a brainiac and the interviewer might be wanting to probe for something they think they can send you out to do before induction.

Magistrate
Your a giant you simple 5 things
- On the ocean
- In a forest
- In a cave
- Smashing Outlanders at tree
- Ontop of tall mountain
They could for a simpler folk be considered 5 different things, where as a smarter person may roll them into one statement, "When outside a protected city"

Role
Perhaps they are not dismissing it, perhaps they want to know more about the why.

My expectation in an interview if you mention something that seems to be of importance expect to be questioned for more information on it. And just because someone says
"Is that it?"
rather than
"Oh you poor thing, you must be so traumatized by what happened, I assume that's why you here, what specific thing about this experience drives you the hardest?"

Does not mean they have no interest. because you need to remember the person your talking with will be roleplaying as well, and they might be roleplaying a short tempered to the point person of few words.

KstatidaTue 03-Oct-17 03:37 AM
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69066, "RE: Aristole Fire giant / your role doesn't make sense...."
In response to Reply #4

>Does not mean they have no interest. because you need to
>remember the person your talking with will be roleplaying as
>well, and they might be roleplaying a short tempered to the
>point person of few words.

This here nails it. You should really keep in mind that others are RPing too. And they have their roles, and most roles in CF are jerk asshole roles (well 100% of mine for sure).

KstatidaMon 02-Oct-17 04:44 PM
2214 posts
#69061, "I never break roles"
In response to Reply #0

Once it caused my pledge to be rejected. But that was funnyone, so I don't think it was me Anyway - I'd recommend to just stick it out and push your role. Sooner or later (mostly sooner) they'll have to accept it, if it's reasonable. After all most of us are decent people.

KstatidaMon 02-Oct-17 04:46 PM
2214 posts
#69062, "Like with Kaer, who was a pyromaniac"
In response to Reply #2

Warren and then Tanzer were asking me about civilization and ancients and jazz, and in return I was just waving torches and screaming agressive nonsense.

Inducted on 15 level there you go One more reason why wrathpuppet is cool

HomardWed 04-Oct-17 03:49 PM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
#69071, "How could I not induct Kaer?"
In response to Reply #3

You were clearly having a good time and that helps everyone have a good time.

I never try to have overly difficult or stock interviews.

OnewingedangelThu 05-Oct-17 09:53 AM
Member since 22nd Jul 2009
447 posts
#69077, "Zhen yen rejected my Ranger Scion pledge."
In response to Reply #2

So I added it to my role and killed every Scion in range (one). Then I deleted at 42 out of boredom.

TacMon 02-Oct-17 03:41 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#69060, "Orcs get auto-inducted to Clan Grinning Skull"
In response to Reply #0

No one expects you to be smart. Come join the fun.

ORCTOBER 4 LYFE!

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #69059 Previous topic | Next topic