Subject: "Carrion Fields Event Calendar" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #68623
Show all folders

RahsaelSat 22-Jul-17 06:11 PM
Member since 05th May 2017
232 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68623, "Carrion Fields Event Calendar"
Edited on Sat 22-Jul-17 06:14 PM

We'd like to see as many players as possible involved in the major events or memorable moments that make Thera feel like a living, breathing and dynamic place. So we've decided to try something new: a public event calendar that provides announcements or hints about events we're planning.

Here's the link to the calendar: http://bit.ly/2ulKzsu

This calendar is a bit sparse right now, but it will be updated frequently.

Feel free to spread the word however you'd like; tweet the calendar, share the link on other forums, etc.

This is something of a pilot program, so it will not include absolutely everything that we're planning, and some events might be scaled back or postponed if there's some kind of an emergency or conflict that arises on our end.

Our hope is that we get as many you involved in our events, quests, parties, etc. as possible by letting you know in advance when they'll happen.

Please feel free to email me at immrahsael@gmail.com if you have any thoughts or suggestions about this calendar. If you have an IC event you'd like included, email me or send me an in-game note including date, time (system time), in-game location and a brief description of the event.

We'll see how this works!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Looking for Suggestions..., Rahsael, 31-Jul-17 06:33 PM, #7
Reply First of all, it should be Google-calendar compatible, Kstatida, 01-Aug-17 02:28 AM, #8
Reply ... And with the correct time! , Rodriguez, 01-Aug-17 01:49 PM, #9
     Reply This NT, Kstatida, 01-Aug-17 01:51 PM, #10
     Reply RE: This NT, Rahsael, 01-Aug-17 08:22 PM, #11
          Reply RE: This NT, Kstatida, 02-Aug-17 03:44 AM, #15
     Reply Timezones are hard!, Murphy, 02-Aug-17 12:31 AM, #13
          Reply Oh, and disclaimer for Boris, Murphy, 02-Aug-17 02:47 AM, #14
          Reply Just add it to your Google calendars, Kstatida, 02-Aug-17 03:48 AM, #16
Reply RE: Looking for Suggestions..., Drehir, 01-Aug-17 09:22 PM, #12
Reply Great!, Kstatida, 02-Aug-17 03:49 AM, #17
Reply RE: Looking for Suggestions..., wjdenny, 08-Aug-17 02:57 PM, #18
Reply This is great, could a big link to it go up on the main..., Mcbeth, 24-Jul-17 10:05 AM, #6
Reply Wow this is nice, Kstatida, 24-Jul-17 05:27 AM, #5
Reply You missed Orctober!, Tac, 23-Jul-17 06:58 AM, #3
Reply RE: Carrion Fields Event Calendar, Very good idea! (Anonymous), 23-Jul-17 03:15 AM, #2
Reply Good plan., amazingdonnie, 22-Jul-17 06:41 PM, #1
     Reply Good idea!, Kstatida, 24-Jul-17 05:26 AM, #4

RahsaelMon 31-Jul-17 06:33 PM
232 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68663, "Looking for Suggestions..."
In response to Reply #0

We're using Google Calendar now merely because everyone seems to have a Google account. However, the platform isn't very flexible or nice to look at.

So we're looking for suggestions. Does anyone have a free, nice-looking and convenient online calendar platform that would allow us to schedule and share events with the general public? Must be desktop compatible, though iOS and Android compatibilities are a plus.

KstatidaTue 01-Aug-17 02:28 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68664, "First of all, it should be Google-calendar compatible"
In response to Reply #7

What's amazing about Google calendar is that I signed up and it shows me upcoming CF events on my phone calendar. Which is absolutely amazing.

You can't achieve the same effect with other platforms

RodriguezTue 01-Aug-17 01:49 PM
Member since 30th Jan 2005
367 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#68665, "... And with the correct time! "
In response to Reply #8

That's s huge thing for people from different time zones.

KstatidaTue 01-Aug-17 01:51 PM
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68666, "This NT"
In response to Reply #9

NT

RahsaelTue 01-Aug-17 08:22 PM
232 posts
#68667, "RE: This NT"
In response to Reply #10

Yes, all of these things would be great. The Google calendar setup is a bit ugly, and it doesn't seem capable of adjusting to each individual viewer's time zone unless they add it to their own calendars.

I'll devote some time this week to finding a new calendar that has these capabilities. But if one of you has a solid and specific suggestion, you could save me some time that I would instead use to dream up and prepare cool events.

KstatidaWed 02-Aug-17 03:44 AM
2214 posts
#68671, "RE: This NT"
In response to Reply #11

Adding CF calendar to your calendars is the whole point. It's not really usable if you don't add it.

But if you add it - it's great. So you have all the Android users on board by default.

MurphyWed 02-Aug-17 12:31 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68669, "Timezones are hard!"
In response to Reply #9

It's best if the calendar shows current time so I can see the actual difference in hours between it and the clock on the wall.

I mean, if it tells me the event is scheduled at 08:00 and I show up at 08:00 server time, but it turns out it meant my local time? Ow.

Not to mention the calendars seem to always be off even if I set them to my timezone because they forget daily savings or whatever. My own Ubuntu insisted for years that Irkutsk is GMT+9 when it's actually GMT+8. And it kept resetting my laptop's internal clock, too!

MurphyWed 02-Aug-17 02:47 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68670, "Oh, and disclaimer for Boris"
In response to Reply #13

I ain't a complainer. Having a calendar's a good thing.
(I'm just a pessimist.)

KstatidaWed 02-Aug-17 03:48 AM
2214 posts
#68672, "Just add it to your Google calendars"
In response to Reply #13

It adjusts all the events to your timezone automatically.

Like I now have all the CF schedule on my phone, next to my business meetings and affairs.

18:00 - 19:00 - Gym
20:00 - 21:00 - Blood Moon

It's ####ing great. If you didn't add it yet - do it.

DrehirTue 01-Aug-17 09:22 PM
Member since 19th Jul 2015
85 posts
#68668, "RE: Looking for Suggestions..."
In response to Reply #7

You shouldn't worry about looks. Not sure what you mean by flexible. This is a great concept.

https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/41207?hl=en

KstatidaWed 02-Aug-17 03:49 AM
2214 posts
#68673, "Great!"
In response to Reply #12

I would also suggest to add it not only to the main page (noone visits it), but to forums as well.

wjdennyTue 08-Aug-17 02:52 PM
Member since 24th Nov 2009
14 posts
#68701, "RE: Looking for Suggestions..."
In response to Reply #7
Edited on Tue 08-Aug-17 02:57 PM

Thank you!

Google Calendar is perfect. There's no use in wanting it to look a certain way, anyway, since most of us are going to be using the data with a third party calendar apps 90% of the time anyway. Best option, if you really want to control the look and feel, would be to embed the calendar in the webpage and fiddle with the CSS (if possible) or use Google's API to generate a calenderish widget on the site, that way at least then new players (or those new to the calendar) would stumble upon it, all CF-branded and fancy-like.

Now when I'm scheduling meetings with students and clients, I can check the CF calendar and prioritize appropriately.

I second putting some planned learning or exp bonuses on there as well.

Edit: it might be straight-forward if you're doing it from Android, but I had an extra step or two adding it to my calendar from Chrome on a laptop. Just add the calendar ID to your "Other Calendars" where it currently says "add a coworker's calendar"; the calendar id is a3i0u10fd6rv0e83v9srjjn884@group.calendar.google.com

McbethMon 24-Jul-17 10:05 AM
Member since 21st Jul 2015
257 posts
#68638, "This is great, could a big link to it go up on the main..."
In response to Reply #0

nt

KstatidaMon 24-Jul-17 05:27 AM
2214 posts
#68636, "Wow this is nice"
In response to Reply #0

NT

TacSun 23-Jul-17 06:58 AM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#68629, "You missed Orctober!"
In response to Reply #0

The national holiday of Orcs and Goblins everywhere. For shame... For shame...

Very good idea! (Anonymous)Sun 23-Jul-17 03:15 AM
Charter member
#68628, "RE: Carrion Fields Event Calendar"
In response to Reply #0

Removes the need to always calculate timezone differences.

amazingdonnieSat 22-Jul-17 06:41 PM
Member since 19th Nov 2013
148 posts
#68625, "Good plan."
In response to Reply #0

May be a good idea to throw bonuses on there too if you guys plan any for say Labor day etc.

Like the idea alot.

KstatidaMon 24-Jul-17 05:26 AM
2214 posts
#68635, "Good idea!"
In response to Reply #1

I hope the Labor day is a holiday tho.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #68623 Previous topic | Next topic