Subject: "A thought for changing arcanes" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #513
Show all folders

jasminWed 26-Mar-03 12:30 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
237 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#513, "A thought for changing arcanes"

I really like the whole "paths" idea we're taking with all the other classes. What if we separated arcanes into three different groups. Those that specialize in changing objects (weapons/armor/items), those that specialize in changing creatures/people, and those that specialize in changing the world around them (room attributes/time/season). I don't have this fleshed out yet, but if people like it feel free to help.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ValguarneraWed 26-Mar-03 02:01 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#515, "RE: A thought for changing arcanes"
In response to Reply #0

With two exceptions common to most magi (Locate Object, Identify), every spell in the Transmuter repertoire is currently in your second category. More specifically, I'd give the domain of Transmutation as 'temporary manipulation of living matter'. Permanence, dead/inanimate matter, creation, and destruction eluide the transmuter.

The other categories you discuss have to do with other schools of magic that are established in several IC sources. The problem with combining them is that you lose the class's unique identity- they either share a bunch of spells, or we might as well do them as a separate class. While I don't like the idea of blending them, it's conceivable that abilities from those categories will enter PC hands at some point in the future.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

SabieneSat 29-Mar-03 03:35 AM
50 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#558, "Maybe enchanters?"
In response to Reply #1

I think an enchanter class would be nice, that juices up weapons, armor, and maybe makes preps after a certain fashion. There was some talk about a merchant class some time ago, although not how they might manifest specifically. I'd just love to see this sort of thing about on CF, it's worked well on other muds I've played in the past.

QuisletSun 30-Mar-03 11:08 AM
240 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#594, "Been there, been that. ;)"
In response to Reply #2

>I think an enchanter class would be nice, that juices up
>weapons, armor, and maybe makes preps after a certain fashion.
> There was some talk about a merchant class some time ago,
>although not how they might manifest specifically. I'd just
>love to see this sort of thing about on CF, it's worked well
>on other muds I've played in the past.

Before Invokers and Transmuters were revamped into being barely recognizable as what they were: Invokers had enchant weapon and enchant armor, while Transmuters had create wand and recharge. (and I think something to create staves too)

While no PC has these spells now, I knew of at least one of the enchant spells that still existed in an item until an area revamp a few months ago. I don't know if it's still there now.

Personally, I'd love the idea of enchanters being around. There's only one reason I never try to promote it: It's nice to be able to just pick up and lore or identify things and know what the base armor, damage, and to hit ratings are without them having been tampered with.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #513 Previous topic | Next topic