Subject: "We should have random smack downs for whining." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #50618
Show all folders

EskelianWed 31-Jul-13 12:39 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2023 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#50618, "We should have random smack downs for whining."
Edited on Wed 31-Jul-13 12:41 PM

When I was 14 I whined more than I should have (and got a nasty title for it)...I think though in general it would be nice if more whining got nasty titles/warnings/punishment.

It seems like every fight I get in, I kill a guy, take 2 things, drop *MY* two things I don't need anymore, and I still get whining. Boo hoo your gear is better than mine (was wearing some beautiful garnet rings, charred bracers and had *one* good piece of gear that a level 51 gave me for no reason...). Boo hoo thanks for sac'ing my weapon you disarmed. Etc.

It's unreal how many sissy complaints there are these days *from people who attack YOU* and then lose. That and random coward spam every time you won't drop what you're doing to go meet someone makes me want to walk around with 'quiet' on permanently.

I'm sure some people will claim its "good RP" but it really comes across that people in this game, out of character, can't cope with losing a fight (even when they don't die) and feel like they have to abuse the tell capability to harass people over it.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Not necessarily OOC, highbutterfly, 31-Jul-13 09:04 PM, #3
Reply And that player probably does that with every char. n/t, Eskelian, 31-Jul-13 09:30 PM, #4
Reply The problem is that it's impossible to tell., vargal, 01-Aug-13 08:41 AM, #6
Reply A negative title isn't necessarily OOC either. nt, Akresius, 01-Aug-13 09:00 AM, #7
Reply I agree., vargal, 31-Jul-13 01:50 PM, #1
     Reply My suggestion, Tac, 31-Jul-13 05:24 PM, #2
          Reply I disagree with that to a degree, lasentia, 01-Aug-13 07:16 AM, #5

highbutterflyWed 31-Jul-13 09:04 PM
Member since 24th Aug 2011
364 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#50628, "Not necessarily OOC"
In response to Reply #0

While its not great for the game, and often cheesy, meh, or bleh, whining isn't necessarily OOC. Depends on how it's done.

Eleagra used to threaten people with full loots if she didn't get her random disarmed sword back. Not necessarily OOC.

EskelianWed 31-Jul-13 09:30 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2023 posts
#50631, "And that player probably does that with every char. n/t"
In response to Reply #3

n/t

vargalThu 01-Aug-13 08:41 AM
Member since 07th Apr 2004
384 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#50639, "The problem is that it's impossible to tell."
In response to Reply #3

You rarely get moments to really prove you're in character. Dying is one of the best opportunities you have. If what your character then does is a mirror image of the butthurt 14 year olds in other games... You're not convincing anyone you're in character.

If it was common in multiplayer games for people to be incredibly graceful after losing/dying, we might even have the opposite problem with seeing *that* as IC.

AkresiusThu 01-Aug-13 09:00 AM
Member since 15th Nov 2011
280 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#50640, "A negative title isn't necessarily OOC either. nt"
In response to Reply #3

vargalWed 31-Jul-13 01:50 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2004
384 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#50619, "I agree."
In response to Reply #0

Punishment for acting as you describe should be having their morale annihilated and charisma set to 3. Adventurers and heroes shouldn't be snivelling babies.

Further, it should be considered bad luck or a curse to call someone a coward in Thera. Set up an automatic detection for tells with the word "coward" in them, and have every use zap some of that mythical luck stat away or after a couple of uses have the speaker become affected by an uncurable curse for 200 ticks.

TacWed 31-Jul-13 05:24 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#50625, "My suggestion"
In response to Reply #1

Either hard-code it so ghosts can't speak (tell, whatever) or just train yourself not to while a ghost. Or have a flag for making it so ghosts can't speak, like a flaw that you don't get to choose.

There are a lot better things to do during your ghost time than talk #### to the person who just killed you.

I also recommend full saccing by default, that way the bitching will at least be justified(*)

Tac

(*) To date, I am too ####ing lazy to implement this myself, but maybe someday I'll make an alias for it, just so people can once again experience the true sinking feeling that is returning to a totally empty corpse.

lasentiaThu 01-Aug-13 07:16 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
#50638, "I disagree with that to a degree"
In response to Reply #2

More people than not handle defeat very well, and post PK RP where one guy is a ghost (so you can't fight him anymore even though he is an enemy) can lead to some very fun RP.

True, some are more sour about it and do whine, but I'd hate to miss out on all the fun that often happens post PK for the sake of having to suffer through a little bad now and again.

Sportsmanship, poor RP or not, goes a long way in making CF a fun game, which is something I always think we as players need to remember. More importantly, it's the losing gracefully aspect of sportsmanship that will often make characters stand out, since whining is a major turn off to a lot of us, even if some people in turn whine when they lose themselves.

Akresius followers are the ones who are supposed to never complain about being defeated or the consequences of it I think. Every one in CF should play as if they are trying to earn his tattoo, and I imagine the fields would become a better richer place for it.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #50618 Previous topic | Next topic