Subject: "How should/do you deal with age span in CF? Also what d..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #49340
Show all folders

Wondering (Anonymous)Tue 02-Apr-13 12:18 PM
Charter member
#49340, "How should/do you deal with age span in CF? Also what do you do about lowbie socials ?"

I am not sure how to deal with this in character.

All Random Examples based on real stuff I have experienced:

You are a hero human, and a rank 24 elf is talking down to you like you are a baby.

They are RP'ing at you, that they have been around for hundreds of years, and you are only in your mid 30's age wise, so you are so much less experienced in the world.

If the gods would allow, you would kill them in the blink of an eye. You are ten times more powerful, and have proven yourself more than twice their rank on the battlefield. You have much more experience, from a game value point of view, however you are hundreds of years younger.

To me this is the same kind of #### like when someone out of range below you threatens you or uses action words to "slap" you or "spit" on you. It's like you are kidding right? You are a rank 15 Elf and you slap and spit on rank 51 Fire giant warrior who would kill you with a single blow from his Armageddon sword. Or talk down to them because you have supposedly been around for hundreds of years, yet you are only rank 15.

Mostly I try to RP the angle that many of the worlds peoples count differently in reference to time and birth and cycles of life. The elves count much faster then humans year wise, so I may be 30 by my peoples counts, but that is a thousand years by an elves calendar.
The problem with this is that its not really true at all. We all roll by the Theran calendar which is equal for all of us, so I think I am having ####ty RP by doing this.

As for emotes, why cannot they be restricted, so that ones that would obviously be reserved for people who are foolish, can only be done to PK or below. My rank 51 fire giant should be able to slap the #### out of elves who are rank 15, but I shouldn't be able to fight or kill them, so they are protected but I can slap them or spit on them or whatever. However they are little and weak and protected by the gods so they cannot do the same to me with out consequence so they are blocked from doing it. This could open up the possibility that heroes will go around spamming stupid commands on lowbies but really, does anyone think that is going to happen? Not all socials should be like that, but come on, it really makes RP stupid sometimes when mid raid lowbies are doing dumb #### like that.

I am not saying this happens all the time, but it definitely zaps the immersing feel of the game for me.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: How should/do you deal with age span in CF? Also wh..., Vilhazarog, 02-Apr-13 09:21 PM, #4
Reply Something to consider, Artificial, 02-Apr-13 04:47 PM, #3
Reply RE: How should/do you deal with age span in CF? Also wh..., Amaranthe, 02-Apr-13 01:19 PM, #1
     Reply Thank you, , No longer Wondering (Anonymous), 02-Apr-13 02:37 PM, #2
          Reply Simpler answer, Twist, 03-Apr-13 08:23 AM, #5
          Reply RE: Simpler answer, lasentia, 03-Apr-13 09:01 AM, #6
               Reply Reputation command ????, WHAT?! (Anonymous), 03-Apr-13 08:40 PM, #8
                    Reply It reflects how you are viewed by every cabal in Thera, lasentia, 04-Apr-13 07:45 AM, #9
                         Reply Is it based on your char's PK and ranking?, Murphy, 04-Apr-13 07:50 AM, #10
                              Reply I have no idea about the specifics, lasentia, 04-Apr-13 08:45 AM, #11
                                   Reply Heh. How did you learn about it?, Murphy, 04-Apr-13 09:29 AM, #12
                                        Reply Came out in 2009, which was when I was fairly new, lasentia, 04-Apr-13 11:33 AM, #13
          Reply RE: Thank you, , highbutterfly, 03-Apr-13 01:21 PM, #7

VilhazarogTue 02-Apr-13 09:21 PM
Member since 30th Aug 2012
192 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#49350, "RE: How should/do you deal with age span in CF? Also wh..."
In response to Reply #0

As to your second question, anyone could use the 'emote' command to 'do' basically anything they can imagine. The target in question doesn't even have to be logged in.

I could be at the Inn at level 1 and do:
emote summons Arratok, spins him around, kisses him on the ass and then teleports him off to a village old folks home.

It's basically just poor RP, as bad as going OOC, IMHO and worth reporting probably.

As far as the age thing, I don't see the problem.

Imagine a kid's been practicing martial arts since he was 2, and is a bit of a prodigy. By the age of 15 he has 4 black belts and won 200 tournaments. Meanwhile, you just took up martial arts at the age of 35. You've been at it a year and you're a green belt.

So just cuz the 15 year old could kick your ass, doesn't mean he's not a snot-nosed little brat that can't vote, drink or even drive a car. Meanwhile the kid is thinking "get lost grampa." I'd say the elf is role playing well. This is why nobody likes elves, they're snooty know-it-alls. I'd say just give it back to them. "Maybe if you'd quit staring off into space and while singing koom bye yah and hugging trees you might actually know how to use that sword, you old faerie!"

ArtificialTue 02-Apr-13 04:47 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#49348, "Something to consider"
In response to Reply #0

In dragonlance lore, its generally said that humans gain the equivalent life experience as an elf in a certain percentage of their lifespan, because elves spend their time sitting and waiting for flowers to bloom etc.

In forgotten realms lore, while not discussed to such a length in the books I've read, mages generally become equivalently powerful (human vs elf) because of their difference in drive over their lifespan.

AmarantheTue 02-Apr-13 01:17 PM
Member since 17th Mar 2003
536 posts
#49345, "RE: How should/do you deal with age span in CF? Also wh..."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Tue 02-Apr-13 01:19 PM

You've hit on something that is a big pet peeve of mine, regarding the relative measure of age and the general passage of time in CF. (Also consider an "hour" or a "day" in CF is so short as to be impossible to legitimately roleplay around.)

For the foreseeable future, I don't see anyone addressing this to my (or your) satisfaction, so my best advice is to just ignore it and skirt around it while roleplaying as best you can. I wish I could offer something better, but it is what it is.

Regarding the abuse of emote or socials, trust me, players who behave that way aren't impressing anyone. I do think when used judiciously, such socials do have a place in the game for out-of-pk use. A slighted lover might slap an unfaithful beau, a reviled enemy might spit in response to an insult, etc.

If misuse of socials and emote is particularly egregious, feel free to shoot a note to immortal about the offending player. (Emphasis on 'particularly egregious'. If someone slapped you and you think it's lame, we don't need to hear about it.)

No longer Wondering (Anonymous)Tue 02-Apr-13 02:37 PM
Charter member
#49346, "Thank you, "
In response to Reply #1

I wouldn't think to pray for the most part unless it is someone spamming which would fall into "egregious".

Thanks for the feed back though, I never really put too much thought into the hourly breakdown which I guess is the heart of the real issue sort of.

It just gives me a feel like puking when someone is talking to a 400+ hour character with a < 30 hour character like they have been around and know more and have more experience in the world.

I guess sometimes its the silly things that bother us.

Thank you for the reply however, it helped sort of clear up that its far more then a simple fix time wise, and also pointed out justification in some RP socials that are so often misused but lowbie grunts.

TwistWed 03-Apr-13 08:23 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#49362, "Simpler answer"
In response to Reply #2

"Little elf, I have been adventuring for many years while you still sat in whatever hovel you called home and twiddled your delicately manicured thumbs. Do not speak to me of old age when it comes to world experience."

i.e. Measure respect based on how long (turnings of the Sun or what have you) you've each been out of the Academy.

lasentiaWed 03-Apr-13 09:01 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#49363, "RE: Simpler answer"
In response to Reply #5

I always try to go by hours, not by age, in gauging respectfulness to a person. Since I don't know player hours, I sort of think it depends on, have you heard of this guy before? A guy with long hours, you've probably seen (with this char or a previous one)

A long lived guy certainly gains reknown and infamy, so you would have heard of him. When speaking to him and he is probably deserving of some small measure of respect, even if he is an enemy. That said, as Allysia, I had level 15 rager apps smack talking me, which was irksome, but role appropriate for them. One told me he was sad I was going to die before he had a chance to kill me himself, but I ended up outliving him.

In those instances, you sort of let it roll off your back, and if the time comes, put them in their place in PK, since usually an old ass char is old for a reason, and will wipe the floor with a fresh hero.

An elf at 30 hours may be 150 or something, but he has no reputation so why would he be worthy of respect, even if he is level 51?

And playes can/should use the Reputation command, if you haven't maxed out the level in your own cabal, you're probably not really in a position to be talking down to others, even cabalmates. After all, age doesn't matter, what you've done with your years does.

WHAT?! (Anonymous)Wed 03-Apr-13 08:40 PM
Charter member
#49383, "Reputation command ????"
In response to Reply #6

What is this!?

Ooo OOOoooo!!! This sounds amazing!

lasentiaThu 04-Apr-13 07:45 AM
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#49384, "It reflects how you are viewed by every cabal in Thera"
In response to Reply #8

On a scale of hated disliked, neutral, friendly, reknowned

Basically, you're race/class and all will give you some presets, and then actions taken IC raise or lower your reknown.

For example, a battle char is prob reknowned in battle, hated by nexus/scion by the end of his life, but as an app, he's probably in the neutral or disliked range.

Basically, if you get to hated, you're raiding their cabal, killing their members and stuff.

It really is an interesting little thing Zulgh (I think it was him) added a while ago.
Would be nice to see it in the PBFs too.
Could sort of confirm things like chars who play as fortlanders and such

MurphyThu 04-Apr-13 07:50 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#49385, "Is it based on your char's PK and ranking?"
In response to Reply #9

nt

lasentiaThu 04-Apr-13 08:45 AM
987 posts
#49386, "I have no idea about the specifics"
In response to Reply #10

I assume taking cabal items & killing cabal members makes your reknown lower (but conversely may also be raising it in another) against that member's cabal and raising your own in your cabal. But if it's not a target of yours, i.e. battle char killing random uncaballed warriors for fun, I'd assume he is not raising his reknown probably by killing them. It's not just a PK tally, it's a gauge of your char's actions in relation to each cabal's ideologies.

The hardest one to raise I've found to be herald

Helping people retrieve their item looks to raise your reknown with them.

Take a battle char as an example.
He can probably raise his battle reknown by
Killing nexus char
Killing scion char
Killing any mage
Raiding Scion
Raiding Nexus
Retrieving the head
Giving items to Tahren

Those actions will also likely make him more hated by nexus/scion/whatever cabal random mage is in.

Keep in mind though, killing a scion might also raise your reknown in fort because a scion is an enemy of both cabals.
Not sure just how simple or complex it is, you'd have to ask Zulg, but generally if you are caballed and following cabal rules, you'll end up maxing it out in your cabal pretty easily.

I believe with my nexus leader, I maxed out nexus and almost fort as well, and was hated by battle only.

With my battle leader I was hated by scion/nexus/and I think trib, neutral or disliked by outlander/herald/fort, and reknowned in Battle.

But you can use it at level 1 to get a feel. A wood elf has a naturally higher reknown in outlander, so is may be friendly, while a dwarf starts off disliked by Outlander as he is a natural enemy. Goodies have an affinity for fort, and so on.

It's an interesting tool, one most players probably don't use, or don't even know about. I could see it as useful for cabal leaders to see the reknown of their members though.

MurphyThu 04-Apr-13 09:29 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#49388, "Heh. How did you learn about it?"
In response to Reply #11

Did some imm tell you? Or just by pure luck entering the command?
Or is there a help topic that I failed to notice?

lasentiaThu 04-Apr-13 11:33 AM
987 posts
#49389, "Came out in 2009, which was when I was fairly new"
In response to Reply #12

http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=3&topic_id=1883&mesg_id=1883&listing_type=search

highbutterflyWed 03-Apr-13 01:21 PM
Member since 24th Aug 2011
364 posts
#49366, "RE: Thank you, "
In response to Reply #2

>
>It just gives me a feel like puking when someone is talking to
>a 400+ hour character with a < 30 hour character like they
>have been around and know more and have more experience in the
>world.
>

I guess I'm not really understanding the issue. Honestly, anyone can say anything within the rules. He could just as easily claim he is much smarter than you so you should listen to him. What I think you're saying is that there is a game mechanical justification behind the level 15 dark-elf's claim he is older.

This is mostly an RP challenge. Yes, he is older in-game, but older is not better or wiser. Warren Buffet at 40 has done more than a lot of people, including high paid CEOS, at 65. In fact, by claiming age as a guide, this lowbie has weakened his position. You can ask him what his accomplishments were in the extra 150 years he has on you (answer: nothing).

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #49340 Previous topic | Next topic