Subject: "Merchantilism" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #4727
Show all folders

AbthalokWed 09-Jun-04 12:58 PM
Member since 04th Dec 2003
36 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4727, "Merchantilism"

The new exp for merchantilising is cool, just like the exploration thing. I just have a pair of questions.

1) While I understand the need to get the exploration exp when you log out, The only reason I can see getting the mechant exp at log out is to prevent people from finding out how to get the biggest exp gains/bonus merchanty skills?. Is this accurate?

2)I noticed it seems to be base on # of items rather than total value, which, if so, doesn't seem to make to much sense.

Over all, I think its a good addition to the mud, and adds a whole new facet of commerce.

`Abthalok

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ValguarneraWed 09-Jun-04 01:29 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4728, "RE: Merchantilism"
In response to Reply #0

1) It occurs on logout because the underlying mechanism tries to account both for the consistency and value of your successful commerce interactions. It also penalizes you for trying to earn CXP (Commerce eXPerience) through "tricks" that don't make good business sense.

2) It's a combination of several factors. If you know how bank credit ratings work, it's somewhat similar. Just like in real life, merchants (and banks) will trust regular, consistent suppliers more than someone who sold them one huge item then vanished. Also, you learn more about business acumen from negotiating lots of intermediate sales, than you do from brokering a single large one. That said, all other things equal, you're better off doing bigger deals than smaller ones. The calculations involved are also sublinear- doubling the value or number of transactions will generally less than double the eventual reward received. Finally, some transactions aren't worth squat- Jimbob the Kingpin of Galadon just isn't going to learn anything negotiating for a berry pie, no matter how tasty the description looks.

3) (Not that you asked.) It's not something from which we expect people to derive a large percentage of their experience. Much like exploration, it's a small reward to favor certain kinds of characters who aren't maximally focused on combat. Also much like exploration, if we like how the system works in practice, we will likely increase the reward rate a little as time goes by.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Evil Genius (inactive user)Thu 10-Jun-04 05:51 AM
Charter member
In response to Reply #1

nt

AbthalokFri 11-Jun-04 12:08 PM
Member since 04th Dec 2003
36 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4735, "Thanks for the response. NT"
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Fri 11-Jun-04 12:08 PM

<>

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #4727 Previous topic | Next topic