Subject: "Why do you love CF? Let me list the ways." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #45257
Show all folders

TMNSWed 09-May-12 07:01 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#45257, "Why do you love CF? Let me list the ways."

Starting this thread because I was talking to a former player OOC and he mentioned that bitch-threads get way more traction than "pat on the back" threads. And I don't like that.

Reasons I love CF:

It's a great way to escape from the real world with paperwork, homework, financial records, bad social life, etc

It's free!

I get to play with and interact with some incredibly creative people that stimulate my own creativity.

I love PK'ing someone who I shouldn't be able to (because in CF, no one is unkillable)

I love certain players that always seem to "bring it" and never complain when things go badly:
Shamanman
Balrahd
TJHuron
Jaguab (we miss you buddy)
Thror
Enlilth
Boca!!!!!
I could name several others but those are the ones that stick out the most to me.

I love that I have nemesis's (people I hate on CF but would probably have a beer with if I ever saw them) like Beront and Yhorian (Twist gets an honorable mention because he's a whore)

I love being able to play a game like CF. That is all.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply I love CF because whenever I play, I feel as if ANYTHIN..., Amberion, 12-May-12 06:50 PM, #25
Reply Aside from the obvious, I think it's the dopamine. nt, Rogue, 12-May-12 01:35 AM, #23
Reply Well..., Tesline, 11-May-12 10:55 PM, #21
Reply Wow, thanks dude!, Amberion, 12-May-12 06:58 PM, #26
Reply RE: Why do you love CF? Let me list the ways., Abernyte, 11-May-12 06:20 AM, #20
Reply RE: Why do you love CF? Let me list the ways., Isildur, 10-May-12 05:10 PM, #15
Reply I don't, Tsunami, 10-May-12 11:08 AM, #14
Reply RE: Why do you love CF? Let me list the ways., lasentia, 10-May-12 07:24 AM, #8
Reply RE: Why do you love CF? Let me list the ways., Malakhi, 09-May-12 09:56 PM, #5
Reply Well Said, TJHuron, 09-May-12 09:19 PM, #4
Reply RE: Well Said, Malakhi, 09-May-12 10:20 PM, #6
     Reply Which VIP were you back then?, DurNominator, 10-May-12 03:59 AM, #7
     Reply he was durnominator v 1.0. you've come a long way, dur..., Dallevian, 10-May-12 08:37 AM, #10
          Reply No, no, Malakhi, 10-May-12 10:22 AM, #12
               Reply Of Dur interactions, Splntrd, 10-May-12 10:53 AM, #13
                    Reply "70 % of the game" isn't worth much in terms of explore..., DurNominator, 11-May-12 12:42 AM, #19
                         Reply Believe it or not, Splntrd, 12-May-12 12:55 AM, #22
                              Reply RE: Believe it or not, DurNominator, 12-May-12 09:03 AM, #24
     Reply RE: Well Said, TJHuron, 10-May-12 10:22 AM, #11
Reply One word: Raybaer, Puhguly, 09-May-12 08:18 PM, #3
Reply This made my day, Rayihn, 10-May-12 07:59 AM, #9
     Reply RE: This made my day, Isildur, 10-May-12 05:12 PM, #16
          Reply Pssh, bushes r for noobs. Trees give a better vantage p..., Puhguly, 10-May-12 06:16 PM, #17
          Reply RE: This made my day, Daevryn, 10-May-12 10:41 PM, #18
Reply RE: Why do you love CF? Let me list the ways., Fjarn, 09-May-12 08:13 PM, #2
Reply Its the amazingly random awesomeness, Oldril, 09-May-12 08:12 PM, #1

AmberionSat 12-May-12 06:50 PM
Member since 06th Jun 2007
945 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#45297, "I love CF because whenever I play, I feel as if ANYTHIN..."
In response to Reply #0

To me, it's a limitless game. I have always felt, while playing CF that if I tried hard enough, I could pull of an elf Anti-paladin (Just an example.)

Seriously guys! There are GODS in the game, and they DO have GODLY powers. Thus, anything can happen! It's just up to YOU and your effort! (And some luck catching the imms hours and eyes.)

Lately I've come to enjoy the "scheeming" part of CF. Making elaborate plans and try to TRULY manipulate other characters into interesting positions. My first dealings with this was as Kreo, some evil thief. Manage to stage up a big fight between basically all cabals and a bunch of corpses. (Without getting involved himself ofc.)

All in all, the game is limitless and it has gods. That's what brings me back over and over again.

Always shoot first and then call whatever you hit the target.

RogueSat 12-May-12 01:35 AM
Member since 24th Sep 2003
718 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#45290, "Aside from the obvious, I think it's the dopamine. nt"
In response to Reply #0

nt

TeslineFri 11-May-12 10:55 PM
Member since 25th Jun 2010
582 posts
#45288, "Well..."
In response to Reply #0

It helped me ignore things in life when things were bad but since things are better I enjoy pking and some of the more entertaining roleplayers. My personal favorite part is the dedication some people show and I admire this and wish one day to be able to do the same.

I also like the challenge of explore areas.

Players/imms I admire for various reasons.
Amberion (Amazing RP skills and almost always great to talk with)
Jerro (Due to his improvements over the past year)
Raybear (Generally for aiding players and aiding me stop being paranoid about imms.)
Enlilth (General awesomeness with RP and seems like your always happy to come down and RP)
Scar (Same as Enlilth and Raybear and for the awesomeness that hell is.)
Whiysdan (Always fun to talk to.)

Anyways I got to sleep rob zombie megadeth concert tomorrow.

I've got a single #### to give...and it's just for you.

AmberionSat 12-May-12 06:58 PM
Member since 06th Jun 2007
945 posts
#45298, "Wow, thanks dude!"
In response to Reply #21

Feels real good to know that people enjoy what you do. Awesome compliment. Again, thank you!

Always shoot first and then call whatever you hit the target.

AbernyteFri 11-May-12 06:20 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
973 posts
#45283, "RE: Why do you love CF? Let me list the ways."
In response to Reply #0

The openess of Roles
The combinations that still make me excited to try and play
The customisability of classes
Questforms (one day, one day!)
I would say Immortal religions but I always fail as I always clam up.
The ability to interact with wonderful people like RobDarken, Shady (if you can remember him) and Stevers.
Being able to 'compete' with everyone and anyone across the world. CF was PvP across the globe before all this PS3 and Xbox ####!

IsildurThu 10-May-12 05:10 PM
5969 posts
#45275, "RE: Why do you love CF? Let me list the ways."
In response to Reply #0

Woe is Yhorian.

TsunamiThu 10-May-12 11:08 AM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
#45273, "I don't"
In response to Reply #0

It's less like love and more like lust.

I just really like coming up with a character concept and always being able to find some kind of class/race combo that fits it. Included in that is the dynamic nature of the CF world. I can have an affect on it, or I can be a no-name observer. Either way it ends up being fun and interesting.

lasentiaThu 10-May-12 07:24 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#45266, "RE: Why do you love CF? Let me list the ways."
In response to Reply #0

RP. Imm driven, player driven, whatever, it's all good.

Having fun PK fights, winning a fight with under 10 hp, or escaping with under 10 hp. Huge adrenaline spike everytime that happens.

Unspeaks. Still just awesome to see when you hit those.

Things like Tiamat that truly challenge any player.

Taking out a group solo in PK, or having an awesome raid/defense or retrieval.

I can help newer players have those awesome first time things that I had when I started and still have today- there's always something new to do or discover.

The bard class.

A general playerbase that all show a hell of a lot of class and keep things entirely IC 95% of the time.

I can loot nice pieces of gear I can't get on my own.

Sucking at PK never detracts from the fun.

Ysaloerye's persona- that got me hooked on CF.

That most things you do actually have consequences in game.

That inevitably I will annoy at least one Imm with every character I play, and they handle it purely IC and still give me a second chance.

The chance to leave a mark on the CF landscape with every character you play.

MalakhiWed 09-May-12 09:56 PM
Member since 12th Dec 2009
367 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#45263, "RE: Why do you love CF? Let me list the ways."
In response to Reply #0

I love/am entertained by the following:

1. that by this point I have played so many combos and there are still races and classes I daydream about playing.

2. that sense of camaraderie you have with characters you meet in game - like an intense friendship that is going to end in 300 hours

3. the adrenaline spike you get when you whomp another player or conquer a tough area.

4. the incremental build up as you level a character - this one is kind of like the same thrill you get from an aimless app game like battleheart. But I will waste 40 mins of my life when I should be sleeping just to get enough Exp to unlock a new skill.

5. Low barrier to entry. I know people disagree but seriously my area and secret knowledge sucks ass and I virtually always can compete. It's just a matter of mindset.

6. Other players setting the bar higher.

7. The IMMS. You can not fathom how much of the above is sacraficed when you spend most of your time playing an IMM trying to make other people's experience better in some way. It is alot harder to state the payoff than it is the work. I am very grateful that these people keep logging in every day to make the game run while I "selfishly" attend to real life.

8. That Whiys started a thread just like this on the Immortal forums

TJHuronWed 09-May-12 09:19 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#45262, "Well Said"
In response to Reply #0

Thanks for including me on your list And all great reasons to like this game.

Some for me:

The competition (with the exception of the few times it turns ugly or sour, mind you). Most of the player base seems to have a solid competitive spirit mixed in with a sense of fair play. We're all here to enjoy.

Conceiving character ideas and then experimenting with them in game.

Something I've most recently learned is the many ways you can experience this game. I've had a tendency to stick to a narrow range of character types in the past but I have come to see that trying a totally new character type/cabal combo can give the same excitement as trying the game out for the first time.

Definitely, Imm recognition in game.

The Battlefield, PBF and entertaining imm comments in the PBF

This last one I realize can be counter productive to a fun in-game experience, but, the varied, unique and sometimes abrasive personalities on both the official forums and Dio's that lead to some entertaining threads to read while I'm at work!

MalakhiWed 09-May-12 10:20 PM
367 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#45264, "RE: Well Said"
In response to Reply #4

That's funny, your list is alot like mine. I like Dios, too, but there is some negativity mixed in, obviously :p I liked it alot more when I could delete posts and ban people

DurNominatorThu 10-May-12 03:59 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
#45265, "Which VIP were you back then?"
In response to Reply #6

I'm sort of curious now.

DallevianThu 10-May-12 08:37 AM
1620 posts
#45268, "he was durnominator v 1.0. you've come a long way, dur..."
In response to Reply #7

nt

MalakhiThu 10-May-12 10:22 AM
367 posts
#45271, "No, no"
In response to Reply #10

I was Balrahd on Dios, but I think the only char of Dur's that I ever interacted with over the last 15 years was Agantas, and Dur wasn't impressed because cloud giant rangers tank like stones in the Spire and back then special guards did not have timers. #insidejoke

SplntrdThu 10-May-12 10:53 AM
Member since 08th Feb 2004
1096 posts
#45272, "Of Dur interactions"
In response to Reply #12
Edited on Thu 10-May-12 10:53 AM

I think I'd been playing for several years when I ran into a Dur character for the first time. An explore herald. He outranked me, outlived me, explored 70% of the game and age-died (wore age items). Turns out it was his first character.

Well I slit my wrists and stopped playing for awhile after that.

Splntrd

DurNominatorFri 11-May-12 12:42 AM
2018 posts
#45281, ""70 % of the game" isn't worth much in terms of explore..."
In response to Reply #13

List below shows, that Fungor got only 1900 explore experience, which is a bit over 5.6% of what Zynzyn got. As for your character, I remember Matthen pretty well. He didn't live very long, but to me, you'll always be the guy who played Matthen. I don't remember if I've known your other characters afterwards or their names, but Matthen is a character that I will not forget, particularly the rescue trip that was our first interaction, where Matthen didn't have enough food or water and was lost in river Nanthor. Nanthor was near Fungor's hometown of Udgaard, so I knew that particular area(we simply followed the river to Udgaard, if I recall correctly). Fungor came to rescue over CB call.

Experience from Exploration 33655 - Zynzyn
Experience from Exploration 33500 - Fjodir
Experience from Exploration 31875 - Tzaritzawah
Experience from Exploration 31450 - Dvalygg
Experience from Exploration 23950 - Solec
Experience from Exploration 23150 - Puhguly
Experience from Exploration 22925 - Jolka
Experience from Exploration 20975 - Vallinane
Experience from Exploration 20775 - Ilianthia
Experience from Exploration 18900 - Eleagra
Experience from Exploration 16650 - Shudo
Experience from Exploration 14075 - Caerdryn
Experience from Exploration 13250 - Iepnier
Experience from Exploration 12950 - Garwern
Experience from Exploration 12750 - Angynn
Experience from Exploration 12225 - Tontik
Experience from Exploration 12200 - Argivo
Experience from Exploration 11525 - Garm
Experience from Exploration 9850 - Dijur
Experience from Exploration 9600 - Mauz
Experience from Exploration 5500 - Gohum
Experience from Exploration 4900 - Rolas
Experience from Exploration 4850 - Endalion
Experience from Exploration 3550 - Frearrir
Experience from Exploration 3150 - Theannian
Experience from Exploration 1900 - Fungor
Experience from Exploration 1850 - Agantas

SplntrdSat 12-May-12 12:55 AM
Member since 08th Feb 2004
1096 posts
#45289, "Believe it or not"
In response to Reply #19

Variations of that situation still happen to me, all the time. All of my characters should probably be forced to take the "oblivious" and "disorganized" flaws.

Also, how people memorize off-the-beat areas beyond me. I tend to just "feel things out" based on experience running through an area.

Weren't there major additions to the pool of available explore exp shortly after you played fungor, which kind of skews that list a little (along with more recent additions)? The timeline of that era is fuzzy to me - I was maybe 14-15.

Splntrd

DurNominatorSat 12-May-12 09:03 AM
2018 posts
#45291, "RE: Believe it or not"
In response to Reply #22

If you look at the list, the bottom characters starting from Gohum, except for Rolas, are all mine. They all predate observation experience, so I think that the changes came a couple of years later than Fungor. Gohum was in 2006, Fungor in 2004, and observation experience was not in the game, or at least in PBF, at the time I played Gohum.

TJHuronThu 10-May-12 10:22 AM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
#45270, "RE: Well Said"
In response to Reply #6

Likewise, you actually have a few things I wanted to add to mine but decided not to go back and edit it.

And, yes, I was thinking more of Dio's when I wrote that as it can be the more obnoxious/entertaining of the two. A good recent example for me is Delarkrar's char board Garrosh thread. There's some real gems in there!

PuhgulyWed 09-May-12 08:18 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2011
197 posts
#45261, "One word: Raybaer"
In response to Reply #0

All the haters can suck it. She is probably the number 1 reason I made another character. Great intereactions, and at times she even makes a point to turn a dull character into something more with it.

RayihnThu 10-May-12 07:59 AM
Member since 08th Oct 2006
1147 posts
#45267, "This made my day"
In response to Reply #3

Seriously, thank you. It means a lot.

IsildurThu 10-May-12 05:12 PM
5969 posts
#45276, "RE: This made my day"
In response to Reply #9

You may be less enthusiastic when you glance outside your window one night and see him crouched in the bushes.

PuhgulyThu 10-May-12 06:16 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2011
197 posts
#45277, "Pssh, bushes r for noobs. Trees give a better vantage p..."
In response to Reply #16

DaevrynThu 10-May-12 10:41 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#45280, "RE: This made my day"
In response to Reply #16

I laugh, but for a certain type of well-loved RP-heavy imms (and not Raybaer in particular), I really have thought for a long time that their biggest dangers in terms of being driven off weren't so much the players who hated them, but the ones who loved them too much.

It's come to pass a time or three that I'm aware of.

FjarnWed 09-May-12 08:13 PM
Member since 03rd Jun 2008
173 posts
#45260, "RE: Why do you love CF? Let me list the ways."
In response to Reply #0

The thrill of that first pk with a character. OMG bash/icicle/ambush/disarm/sleep actually worked!

Great playerbase. Despite the occasional offline drama, I see a so much helpful, respectful, and sportsmanlike stuff going on in the game.

Random immteraction. I've been on the giving and receiving side, and sometimes things click and really spice up my experience.

Balance. This is one of the most well-balanced and complex pvp models you'll come across.

Oh, and my first UNSPEAK with a char. A big iron charge on an elf or ambush or deathblow or nova on some felar mob or unlucky foe.

Figuring out how to defeat a foe you have no reason beating.

Placing or winning a role contest. We have some great writers in our midsts, and it's so exciting to pull a big reward early or late in a character's life.

OldrilWed 09-May-12 08:12 PM
Member since 20th Jan 2011
641 posts
#45259, "Its the amazingly random awesomeness"
In response to Reply #0

And I really dont know how else to put it.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #45257 Previous topic | Next topic