Subject: "Dedicated server for CF to combat slugginess?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #43802
Show all folders

-flsoWed 22-Feb-12 09:56 PM
Member since 02nd Oct 2007
296 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#43802, "Dedicated server for CF to combat slugginess?"

After the server move, there has been this general feeling
of slugginess in the MUD where response times are high and lag
spikes happen extremely often.

Keep in mind that I am playing from the east coast and that during these episodes my ping to the server never goes above 60ms with no packet loss. The "lag" doesn't happen all the time, but it happens more often than not. These symptoms and past posts for similar issues all point to inadequate server performance.

A simple lookup on bing (ip: 66.85.154.235) will show that there /seem/ to be more than _50_ other MUDs and various sites hosted on the same server.

I say seem because it is possible that some sort of port forwarding setup is in place with many different backend servers. In any case, a proper dedicated server with no shared resources can be had with 50-60$ a month. If the PBFs do not cover this expense then donations from the players could offset the cost provided others are interested.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Wrong IP?, Umiron, 28-Jan-17 09:31 PM, #5
Reply Or Athioles - cast 'animate dead' thread, Jormyr, 28-Jan-17 10:51 PM, #6
     Reply Buh. (nt), Umiron, 28-Jan-17 10:55 PM, #7
Reply I thought you haven't played in years? n/t, Athioles, 28-Jan-17 08:15 PM, #2
Reply RE: I thought you haven't played in years? n/t, Isildur, 28-Jan-17 08:58 PM, #3
     Reply LOL, Athioles, 28-Jan-17 09:14 PM, #4
Reply RE: Dedicated server for CF to combat slugginess?, Isildur, 23-Feb-12 09:01 AM, #1

UmironSat 28-Jan-17 09:31 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#66724, "Wrong IP?"
In response to Reply #0

As best I can tell, 66.85.154.235 is CF's old IP from before Scar took over and when Zulg provided the hosting. That was a shared server so it makes sense that you'd see a lot of things living there.

162.249.126.23 is CF's current home, which is a dedicated IP but not a dedicated server.

JormyrSat 28-Jan-17 10:51 PM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
419 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#66726, "Or Athioles - cast 'animate dead' thread"
In response to Reply #5

So, probably the right IP address...5 years ago when the post was made.

UmironSat 28-Jan-17 10:55 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#66727, "Buh. (nt)"
In response to Reply #6

nt

AthiolesSat 28-Jan-17 08:15 PM
Member since 09th Jan 2011
392 posts
#66720, "I thought you haven't played in years? n/t"
In response to Reply #0

n/t

IsildurSat 28-Jan-17 08:58 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
#66722, "RE: I thought you haven't played in years? n/t"
In response to Reply #2

The post you responded to is from 2012...

AthiolesSat 28-Jan-17 09:14 PM
Member since 09th Jan 2011
392 posts
#66723, "LOL"
In response to Reply #3

I accidentally hit sort by title or something. I do that all the time and it drives me crazy.

IsildurThu 23-Feb-12 09:01 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
#43824, "RE: Dedicated server for CF to combat slugginess?"
In response to Reply #0

I'm convinced *some* of the lag is on the box and not network related. But some of it also seems network related. Especially what the European guys are seeing.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #43802 Previous topic | Next topic