Subject: "Why do we have food/drink in CF?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #42626
Show all folders

OldrilFri 20-Jan-12 12:37 AM
Member since 20th Jan 2011
641 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#42626, "Why do we have food/drink in CF?"

There is nothing lamer to me than dealing with food/drink, all the bloody time. Its not bad enough you have to deal with food that you have to wait for a shopkeeper to actually be open.

Then there is the fact you can literally die one step away from the salvation you need but oh wait sorry you didnt have food so you never regenerate moves again in your life and you died because of food and oh by the way it took 10 years because it just whittled you down all day.

Food is by far the lamest 'feature' of realness on CF, to me, and it adds no flavor to the game, just make me waste more and more time on something that should have 0 impact on the game. I am all for RP but this is nothing other than non-stop time wasted.

Make the game more about fights and less about "oh sorry I have to go waste more time walking to go get more food and then when I get there I have to wait for the shop to open, hopefully I wont run out of mvs in the meanwhile."

Lets not even get into the old "Oh I am too full to eat this microscopic pill that would save my life so I will just die since I am too full".

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Guessing you don't appreciate all the aspects, incognito, 20-Jan-12 09:03 PM, #19
Reply Resource Management, Homard, 20-Jan-12 11:57 AM, #12
Reply RE: Why do we have food/drink in CF?, Daevryn, 20-Jan-12 10:22 AM, #9
Reply What I'd like to see, Doof, 20-Jan-12 10:16 AM, #8
Reply New dwarf inherent, Tsunami, 20-Jan-12 11:15 AM, #10
     Reply Misinfo., Homard, 20-Jan-12 11:48 AM, #11
          Reply Oh Homard, Tsunami, 20-Jan-12 12:12 PM, #13
               Reply You guys make jokes, but I'm serious. I would welcome ..., Doof, 20-Jan-12 12:57 PM, #14
               Reply Now you literally bash the crap out of someone., lasentia, 20-Jan-12 01:03 PM, #15
                    Reply Grease prog on successful "bash the crap out" nt, Tsunami, 20-Jan-12 01:10 PM, #16
               Reply Fair enough., Homard, 20-Jan-12 04:03 PM, #17
                    Reply That...is...awesome., Tsunami, 20-Jan-12 04:20 PM, #18
Reply Contraints that make it reasonable for me, highbutterfly, 20-Jan-12 01:53 AM, #3
Reply This post makes very good points., Twist, 20-Jan-12 09:34 AM, #6
Reply RE: Why do we have food/drink in CF?, Malakhi, 20-Jan-12 12:51 AM, #1
     Reply How many classes/skills?, Oldril, 20-Jan-12 12:56 AM, #
     Reply Actually, muters do have a spell that can make you unab..., Puhguly, 20-Jan-12 06:24 AM, #4
     Reply Because I can't find a TUMS in the dark., Alston, 20-Jan-12 08:58 AM, #5
     Reply don't forget blindness, Dallevian, 20-Jan-12 10:01 AM, #7
     Reply Sorry for double post, Oldril, 20-Jan-12 12:56 AM, #2

incognitoFri 20-Jan-12 09:03 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#42656, "Guessing you don't appreciate all the aspects"
In response to Reply #0

For me, food and drink means:
a) demands on my carrying capacity
b) demands on my gold reserves
c) exposure to famish and the druid commune that causes thirst
d) limited ability to eat
e) disincentive to use bloodlust
f) having to carry a way to replenish water

And then there are various alternatives:
a) gambling for pouch of nourishment
b) trading/killing for the same
c) likewise for water
d) useful items that prevent hunger / thirst
e) useful items that enable eating unlimited amounts

If you're a shaman (in particular) or a druid, these things are quite useful. For anyone else, there are significant differences between having to buy food and not having to buy food.

HomardFri 20-Jan-12 11:57 AM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#42639, "Resource Management"
In response to Reply #0

CF, at its core, is a game of resource management.

Your HP, your Mana, your Moves are just numbers and the entire game could be boiled down to just keeping those numbers where you want them.

Things like eating and drinking are just ways to lend some strategy to this process. With more factors to keep track of the game becomes more complicated and (to most) more interesting. And keeping it interesting is what it's all about.

If you just want to deal with resource management in a fantasy environment, you can play Rogue or Angband. If you don't want to deal with resource management in a fantasy environment, there are plenty of MUSHes out there (or there used to be.)

But combining the management with the RP is what makes CF so complex and so fun. And yes, I would support the poop command.

DaevrynFri 20-Jan-12 10:22 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#42636, "RE: Why do we have food/drink in CF?"
In response to Reply #0

I don't like eating or drinking in most games, but I like it in CF because there legitimately are a lot of PK tactics around it.

DoofFri 20-Jan-12 10:16 AM
Member since 03rd Dec 2009
200 posts
#42635, "What I'd like to see"
In response to Reply #0

Instead of not being able to regenerate moves then slowly getting scratched to death is a more realistic cost to not eating or drinking.

Not drinking should kill you fairly quickly and hurt you much worse than it does.

Not eating should begin by dropping both strength and constitution (keep the mv regen issue and the slight damage). The longer you go without eating, the lower your stats drop. At a certain point, of course, you die.

Once this is implemented, we can begin discussing other basic body functions and the repercussions of not typing "poop" every day or so. I vote for loss of dexterity and intelligence. Who can dodge or think straight when they have to go REALLY BAD.

If Zulg if kind enough to be Santa for one more year, I know what I'm asking for!

TsunamiFri 20-Jan-12 11:15 AM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
#42637, "New dwarf inherent"
In response to Reply #8

PooPlug

help file:

During hibernation bears typically make a plug out of hair and exrement so that they do not poop while sleeping. Dwarves, being as hairy as they are, have learned to adopt this technique so they can lower the dexterity and intelligence of their foes over time.

HomardFri 20-Jan-12 11:48 AM
959 posts
#42638, "Misinfo."
In response to Reply #10

My mother is a teacher with three masters degrees and she, too, insists on the veracity of this "fact." (Furthermore she insists that the plug in question is called a "Tappan" and resultingly the Tappan Zee Bridge never fails to make her smile.)

It's not that "they make a plug," but rather that a plug forms from the material that sloughs off from their digestive tract, bits of plant and hair that they groom from their fur in their sleep.

A quick google search of "bear hibernation plug" will yield more information.

TsunamiFri 20-Jan-12 12:12 PM
1509 posts
#42640, "Oh Homard"
In response to Reply #11

That wouldn't work with the joke though would it?

It's not like I think bears have awesome dexterity and are sitting around weaving plugs for themselves

DoofFri 20-Jan-12 12:57 PM
Member since 03rd Dec 2009
200 posts
#42641, "You guys make jokes, but I'm serious. I would welcome ..."
In response to Reply #13

The chance of bashing someone while they're.. indisposed... would be fun, admit it.

lasentiaFri 20-Jan-12 01:03 PM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#42643, "Now you literally bash the crap out of someone."
In response to Reply #14

Had to say it.
I apologize for that waste of text.

TsunamiFri 20-Jan-12 01:10 PM
1509 posts
#42644, "Grease prog on successful "bash the crap out" nt"
In response to Reply #15

nt

HomardFri 20-Jan-12 04:03 PM
959 posts
#42650, "Fair enough."
In response to Reply #13

I just hear such a staggering amount of misinformation that my head often spins.

The other day a guy told me that "Yawning regulates the body's oxygen levels and if you don't yawn when you feel the urge, you'll die."

TsunamiFri 20-Jan-12 04:20 PM
1509 posts
#42651, "That...is...awesome."
In response to Reply #17

I'll admit, I'm a purveyor of misinfo myself at times.

Yawning though really is an interesting topic. As far as I can tell no one has really figured out a reason for "why." Lot's of theories out there that "make sense" though.

Brain cooling (this one makes the most sense to me)
Spasm
O2 deficiency (this one makes the least sense to me)

Among others.

highbutterflyFri 20-Jan-12 01:53 AM
Member since 24th Aug 2011
364 posts
#42630, "Contraints that make it reasonable for me"
In response to Reply #0

Part of the real beauty of the system, as I see it, is the constraint factor. You can't hole up indefinitely in any little cave, because sooner or later you need to come out for consumables.

You can't keep running around on attack forever, because sooner or later you need to gather something (unless you are just that good), which gives an opportunity to for someone else to find you at a moment of weakness. You see that log of Fjodir getting the jump on Eleagra while Eleagra was going through a bunch of stacked food commands?

A few classes or items that prevent this issue are an actual advantage. Rangers don't have to come out of hiding in order to eat and drink indefinitely, so they can sit around in camo forever. People that dodge have an implicit cost associated with keeping themselves lightweight. Etc, etc.

It may seem like a minor thing, but it's like the ante in poker.

TwistFri 20-Jan-12 09:34 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#42633, "This post makes very good points."
In response to Reply #3

And it makes the points better than I probably would have.

There are many things that are annoying in CF. I was just lamenting last night about how one of the things I miss most about Tavlin is NOT LOSING MY DAMN CONCENTRATION!

Aargh. It's so frustrating with a new character trying to cast a simple spell like detect invis or whatever and losing your concentration five times.

Yet I wouldn't remove it for any reason.

MalakhiFri 20-Jan-12 12:51 AM
Member since 12th Dec 2009
367 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#42627, "RE: Why do we have food/drink in CF?"
In response to Reply #0

>Lets not even get into the old "Oh I am too full to eat this
>microscopic pill that would save my life so I will just die
>since I am too full".
>

There are more PK considerations (including but not limited to skills/spells/communes) to eating/drinking than just that. I can see how it's lame to have to "care" for your character the same way my kids have to "care" for tapfish or the like (side note: kids suck at caring for their tapfish) ... but at this point in CF, there are a crapload of PK tactics around food/drink so that removing it from the game will have an negative impact on your desire to "make the game more about fights" IMO. Something for you to consider, at least.

OldrilFri 20-Jan-12 12:56 AM
641 posts
#42628, "How many classes/skills?"

Famish?
Emetic Poison?
stealing food sack?

Its not like anyone has a spell/skill/commune to make you unable to eat that pill that would save your life?

I understand not changing the status quo and all but really when is the last time you said in PK "Man Im gonna mess with this guy's food".

PuhgulyFri 20-Jan-12 06:23 AM
Member since 15th Nov 2011
197 posts
#42631, "Actually, muters do have a spell that can make you unab..."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Fri 20-Jan-12 06:24 AM

If you get the right effect from disrupt organ, you cant eat drink or anything.

Also, you can't eat pills while blind, since we are talking about the eat aspect of it.

AlstonFri 20-Jan-12 08:58 AM
Member since 07th Sep 2011
858 posts
#42632, "Because I can't find a TUMS in the dark."
In response to Reply #4

Because nature selected for us humans to be helpless when unable to see.

DallevianFri 20-Jan-12 10:01 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1620 posts
#42634, "don't forget blindness"
In response to Reply #0

this can be a big one too as when you are blinded and happen to hit starving, you're not regenerating health or moves (right?) so you're sitting still to where your opponent can regroup or find you

OldrilFri 20-Jan-12 12:56 AM
641 posts
#42629, "Sorry for double post"
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Fri 20-Jan-12 12:56 AM

not sure what caused the double post sorry

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #42626 Previous topic | Next topic