Subject: "advanced picklocks" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #39893
Show all folders

coconut (NOT A thief)Sun 28-Aug-11 12:09 PM
Charter member

is there any level reguirements for the thief, if which chests and boxes he can pick? can a level 34 thief pick the same things as a rank 51 thief?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply No, Gaplemo, 28-Aug-11 05:38 PM, #1
     Reply Concur. Locksmith skill is trash and a waste of points...., _Magus_, 28-Aug-11 10:28 PM, #2
     Reply +1., Lhydia, 29-Aug-11 05:51 PM, #17
     Reply Bzzz wrong, Torak, 28-Aug-11 10:38 PM, #3
     Reply Doubt its worth the points, Gaplemo, 29-Aug-11 12:55 AM, #4
          Reply Actually it was a big gold one~, Torak, 29-Aug-11 10:04 AM, #7
     Reply RE: No, Daevryn, 29-Aug-11 07:54 AM, #5
          Reply I always thought the idea behind locksmith was, Oldril, 29-Aug-11 09:12 AM, #6
          Reply Im not mad at all , Gaplemo, 29-Aug-11 12:23 PM, #9
               Reply RE: Im not mad at all , Daevryn, 29-Aug-11 12:25 PM, #10
                    Reply I never figured it to be a bug, Gaplemo, 29-Aug-11 12:29 PM, #12
                         Reply RE: I never figured it to be a bug, Daevryn, 29-Aug-11 12:37 PM, #13
                              Reply Wait I dont understand, Gaplemo, 29-Aug-11 12:42 PM, #14
                              Reply RE: Wait I dont understand, Isildur, 29-Aug-11 02:34 PM, #15
                                   Reply No, Thelana did not have locksmith skill, Thelana (Anonymous), 29-Aug-11 04:22 PM, #16
                              Reply I'm with Gaplemo on this one, Tellik (Anonymous), 29-Aug-11 06:46 PM, #18
          Reply You act as if it's still not being abused, Torak, 29-Aug-11 10:05 AM, #8
          Reply Well, because, Gaplemo, 29-Aug-11 12:25 PM, #11
          Reply Care to explain why one would pick locksmith in the fir..., DurNominator, 30-Aug-11 11:21 AM, #19
               Reply RE: Care to explain why one would pick locksmith in the..., Daevryn, 30-Aug-11 11:44 AM, #20
                    Reply It definately has its uses, Gaplemo, 30-Aug-11 03:58 PM, #21

GaplemoSun 28-Aug-11 05:38 PM
Member since 06th May 2010
618 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#39894, "No"
In response to Reply #0

Level, Lockpicks, and skill % all come into effect. Don't even bother with locksmith anymore. Once it was dope, but now all the big gold chest keys crumble after a few hours, making it a pointless venture in the first place. There is nothing locksmith can open to my knowledge that adv lockpick cant.

_Magus_Sun 28-Aug-11 10:28 PM
Member since 05th Dec 2006
430 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#39895, "Concur. Locksmith skill is trash and a waste of points...."
In response to Reply #1

nt

LhydiaMon 29-Aug-11 05:51 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2382 posts
#39914, "+1."
In response to Reply #2

Great idea for a class perk but poorly implemented. Most decent chests still can't be picked even with hero locksmith path and forged keys are stupidly dumb.

TorakSun 28-Aug-11 10:38 PM
Member since 15th Feb 2007
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#39896, "Bzzz wrong"
In response to Reply #1

There's a specific lock I abused all the time with Zakuun that required locksmith (and I had picklock and advanced picklock at 100%).

GaplemoMon 29-Aug-11 12:55 AM
618 posts
#39897, "Doubt its worth the points"
In response to Reply #3

Cause I know it doesnt work on the big gold ones.

TorakMon 29-Aug-11 10:04 AM
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#39901, "Actually it was a big gold one~"
In response to Reply #4

~

DaevrynMon 29-Aug-11 07:54 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#39898, "RE: No"
In response to Reply #1

Honestly, I can't figure how anyone would think the way that used to work was anything but a giant bug.

OldrilMon 29-Aug-11 09:12 AM
Member since 20th Jan 2011
641 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#39900, "I always thought the idea behind locksmith was"
In response to Reply #5

To help you figure out which freaking keys opened which doors/chests

Tweedster is just mad he cant make copies of keys that crumble anymore

GaplemoMon 29-Aug-11 12:23 PM
618 posts
#39906, "Im not mad at all "
In response to Reply #6

I used and abused it for years. I got plenty of mileage out of those keys and chests, worry not. Don't hate that you can't think up creative ways to get ahead within the boundries of CF and I can.

I can still get into that chest I used to copy the key of as a thief solo, without advanced lockpick anyways. It didn't even slow gold gathering for my thieves. Creativity pays off. There are other thieves that are starting to catch on, and a couple I showed in person as Armagon.

DaevrynMon 29-Aug-11 12:25 PM
11117 posts
#39907, "RE: Im not mad at all "
In response to Reply #9

> Don't hate that you can't
>think up creative ways to get ahead within the boundries of CF
>and I can.

I can hate that you abused an obvious bug like a jackass for years, though.

GaplemoMon 29-Aug-11 12:29 PM
618 posts
#39909, "I never figured it to be a bug"
In response to Reply #10

Reasoning in the post above.

Keep in mind, I am FAR from the person that thought that up. Blame Charlee for that mess. I just used the skill as I thought it was designed. If I had known when I took locksmith that the key would crumble in like 6 ticks, I would have never wasted the points honestly. I cannot think of a SINGLE use for locksmith now, because all the good chests cannot be locksmithed, keys dont last, and if I can get the key to copy it myself, whats the point of locksmith? I could just gather a key every few ticks. If a group of five gets a key, copies it, and it crumbles 2 ticks after the original key, the whole gathering was a waste, and I just can't see its use anymore beyond Adv lockpick.

DaevrynMon 29-Aug-11 12:37 PM
11117 posts
#39910, "RE: I never figured it to be a bug"
In response to Reply #12

You didn't think it was significant that you had to locksmith the original key without touching it or the whole thing wouldn't work?

That to me would be a red flag.

GaplemoMon 29-Aug-11 12:42 PM
618 posts
#39911, "Wait I dont understand"
In response to Reply #13

Locksmith a key without touching it?

With Durble, we just killed the Empress, I picked up the key, locksmithed it, and it never crumbled. I definately held it to locksmith it. It used to still not crumble. This was several years ago though, and when I tried it again with Sylos a year or so later, they crumbled. I would just plant it on a mob if I quit, and could steal it later to gather again (I admit, the planting and stealing probably could have been seen as overpowered or a flaw in game mechanics, but I would have assumed that if you guys worked to get the key, it was meant to not crumble. Especially since you can't copy a copy.)

So code had to be changed at some point, because I definately picked up the key before I locksmithed it. I didn't even know you could locksmith a key on the ground, to be honest. Dead serious.

IsildurMon 29-Aug-11 02:34 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
#39912, "RE: Wait I dont understand"
In response to Reply #14

Is this what Thelana did as well? Outside of jalim's guy that exploited the busted interaction of luck and gambling, Charlee and Thelana are the two richest characters I've ever come into contact with.

Thelana (Anonymous)Mon 29-Aug-11 04:22 PM
Charter member
#39913, "No, Thelana did not have locksmith skill"
In response to Reply #15

She did have advanced picklock, but I decided locksmith was not worth the points. When I played Tellik, I used locksmith to copy the Empress's key and plunder that chest repeatedly. But even with a non-crumbling copy of that key, you still only have 50% success rate each pass with looting the letter. Thelana had a much more efficient method of gold acquisition that paid off 100% of the time, and had a slightly higher pay out each pass.

Tellik (Anonymous)Mon 29-Aug-11 06:45 PM
Charter member
#39916, "I'm with Gaplemo on this one"
In response to Reply #13
Edited on Mon 29-Aug-11 06:46 PM

When I was playing Tellik, I had locksmith skill and would get help to kill the empress, then I would PICK UP the key and copy it.

Frankly, I can't even begin to fathom the purpose of locksmith skill without it making non-crumbling copies of keys that normally would crumble. I was never once able to fashion a key for a lock (without the original) that I was unable to pick with advanced picklock. If I could fashion a key without the original, then I could also pick it and therefore didn't NEED a key. Other than making non-crumbling copies of keys that normally crumble, I think the only other thing I used it for was when I would go to Aran'gird with other people, and I would make an extra key for each person in case the party got into trouble and was split up, so that each party member could get himself out of the area without me present. But that's a pretty minor ability to have, and not at all worth 6 points. Maybe 1 or 2 points at the most. I mean, Covert is far more useful than that, and it's only 2 points.

The way locksmith is now, I don't know why anyone who understands how it works would ever, ever, ever want to take it. It's a complete waste now, IMO.

TorakMon 29-Aug-11 10:05 AM
1216 posts
#39902, "You act as if it's still not being abused"
In response to Reply #5

Getting massive gold on a thief is a joke in several places... especially with mind control.

GaplemoMon 29-Aug-11 12:25 PM
618 posts
#39908, "Well, because"
In response to Reply #5

Some of the keys are SO hard to get (unless you are a certain sort of thief) That it takes a group of five. Then you copy the key and start gathering, but that group of five is still going to want a cut of that knowing damn good and well why you copied that key. So a good chunk of your earnings go to the group that helped you get the key. At least with Durble/Sylos that was the case. I actualy prefered how I got it with Armagon to locksmithing a key anyday.

DurNominatorTue 30-Aug-11 11:21 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#39923, "Care to explain why one would pick locksmith in the fir..."
In response to Reply #5

There is nothing locksmith can open to my knowledge that adv lockpick cant.

If this is true, why would people pick locksmith? What good is it for? Picklock without picks? I'm not trying to protest ot anything, it is just unclear to me why people would use points to get it.

DaevrynTue 30-Aug-11 11:44 AM
11117 posts
#39924, "RE: Care to explain why one would pick locksmith in the..."
In response to Reply #19

It's not my skill, but the first example case that comes to my mind is Battle summoned to a locked room in Galadon and killed.

You can't pick locks while you're fighting guards or a zombie army, but you can unlock.

Random Battle warrior who's going into Galadon to try to bash someone down can't pick locks, but he can use a key you make and give him.

GaplemoTue 30-Aug-11 03:58 PM
618 posts
#39928, "It definately has its uses"
In response to Reply #20

Even with the "good" keys crumbling. Like Daevryn and another said, keys to Aran'Gird is one use, keys to the locked room in galadon another.

My issue with it though it that its an extremely niche skill, considering you have to take advanced lockpick first, then locksmith after. It is 8 points then 6 points I believe which imo, is a bit on the steep end for a thief skill with such limited use (assuming all the gold gathering tricks are fixed keys to crumble now, or not locksmithable.)

Is it possible that team imm/thief points could take a look at the point cost, and evaluate maybe weather its a tad expensive for what it is? I could totally see it being a 2 point skill, 3 maybe. But since you already have to spend 8 points on adv picklock just to get it, maybe its a bit much?

Thanks for your time, just throwing in my suggestion for the skill.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #39893 Previous topic | Next topic