Subject: "Sacrifices" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #392
Show all folders

UlulariFri 14-Mar-03 12:57 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
120 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#392, "Sacrifices"

Sacrificing is really cheap. It's like the gods are trash cans or something.

How about something a bit more noticable?

For example, XXX sacrifices YYY to the dark/grey/light gods, and it vanishes in a greasy cloud of smoke/fades into the ground/vanishes in a flash of light. Or, if revealing alignment is bad, maybe let the player configure sacrifice appearance from a small menu of choices. Or, modify the sacrifice command so you can sacrifice to someone.

It might get really interesting if there were factors, perhaps depending on who you sacrificed to and what you've been up to, that could affect the success of sacrificing. "Drokalanatym doesn't appear to hear you." Maybe always accept corpses, or maybe even there... "You sacrifice the corpse of the paladin to Shokai. You feel Shokai's gaze upon you." (Ok, yeah, requires the imms set out and mark mobs/races/classes/aligns as significant to them, maybe that's too much work).

How about giving it a bit of lag?

Doesn't need to be a lot, just enough to make sacrificing a bit more of a concious decision -- to give it slightly more of a ritual flavor as opposed to the blatantly obvious combat tactic it currently is for when your hands are full.

If you're not already doing it, how about giving morale a bit of a boost when you sacrifice something powerful? Or even just an occasional booming "well done" from the intervening diety?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ValkenarFri 14-Mar-03 11:02 AM
1203 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#399, "RE: Sacrifices"
In response to Reply #0

I like the idea of making sacrifice be something more significant. I've always felt running around sacrificing things to the gods when all I really wanted was to get rid of them.

I think you're You're right that having maintaining a list of what each god does and does not like sacrified would be too much work for too little benefit.

I do think that if sacrifice were upgraded there should exist a "trash" command that functions like sacrifice presently does (except perhaps without the small copper reward).

One idea I've though about occasionally is that sacrificing to a specific God might go on a prayer-like channel that echoes "bob just sacrified a berry pie to Pico" The immediately obvious problem is that this has the potential to create horrendous amounts of spam, if the players aren't clear on the difference between sacrificing (or trashing) and sacrificing to a specific God.

QuisletFri 14-Mar-03 11:33 PM
240 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#407, "RE: Sacrifices"
In response to Reply #1

*** Some mild pseudo-ranting, and an idea below it ***

I've always felt that the echo from sacrifice is simply an IC-style excuse for what happens to the stuff when you do that. Why would an item vanish? The gods took it when you asked.

If sacrifice were changed, I'd suggest just switching it to something that had nothing to do with the gods. It's really just a clean up method if you're not doing it for the copper. Few people really do it for the copper any more, since the rewards were reduced greatly a while back. I personally used to clean out the goblin village repeatedly at low levels, just for the cash from sacrificing the odds and ends.

If you really want to involve a god, just imagine that the character I mentioned over on Dio's was made an extremely minor deity. Vesperi the Galadonian Janitor (a human shapeshifter in life), is now the god of cleaning things up. That's how he got that silly title anyway, obsessively sacrificing every piece of trash around Galadon until it became part of the RP for that character. In retrospect, whichever Imm gave me/him that title has a great sense of humor, I've laughed about it a lot after I stopped being annoyed about it.

Now that I've stopped rambling, here's an idea even without a sacrifice rehash: 'offer' with which you make offerings to your favored deity. Maybe a pray-type log for each deity, so they know who sacrificed what, and maybe a brief reason why. You wouldn't get any gold for it, but it could enhance RP and Immteraction.

---Quislet

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #392 Previous topic | Next topic