Subject: "Getting across an OOC point IC is there a good way to d..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #385
Show all folders

XandryaThu 13-Mar-03 11:01 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
35 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#385, "Getting across an OOC point IC is there a good way to do it?"
Edited on Thu 13-Mar-03 11:34 AM

I copied this here from a reply in Battlefield that wasn't getting answered. It's probably more appropriate for this forum anyway.

Quote from Nepenthe:
>Anyone who says 'Well, I'm sure I'm
>going to get a level in three more arial prisoners' is going
>to make me sit down figure out the command to dock them enough
>XP to make that statement false.

Quote from Quislet:
That last part about them advancing in a certain number of kills is something I see all the time. Especially when someone in a group is planning on leaving soon and someone else wants them to stay long enough to level first. I don't find it good RP, and I try to ignore when I gain a level myself unless others mention it, but it does happen. I'm guessing you take it quite a bit more seriously than I have.

My Comments and questions regarding the above:
I see this a lot too...and because so many people do it, I didn't really know it was frowned upon. So I've done it myself.

Let's say then that you're out with a group, you are very close to that next title and your leader says they have to leave shortly. Most of the time I will just wait till I get another chance to go out before I get that 250 exp needed to reach next level. Grumbling to myself OOC because I am so close.

But a lot of times I'll get a gt from that leader asking how close I am to my next title, so they can determine whether continuing to play for a few minutes will benefit their group or not. Sometimes I simply say that I am very close. I understand that this is poor roleplaying, but how exactly would you answer a question, like that? Or would you? Do you ignore it and pretend you never heard them ask?

REALISTICALLY speaking even WE would never know how close we are to gaining a title. You don't know how much experience it takes before you are handed the next title by your guildmaster, right? Or do you? Maybe your guildmaster has a list of requirements to be met? "Kill x number of ugruks and I'll reward you with x title?"

Can this situation be handled in a way that is still IC without upsetting the Immortals?

And what about those times when you are in the middle of a battle and something happens to you as a player pulling you away from your computer immediately? Many of us have families, husbands, children that literally DEMAND our attention sometimes and I have found myself getting in arguments with my husband on occasions because I can't just drop connection and leave the game when he wants me to. I usually tell my group in that situation that my mind is wandering...meaning I am afk. Is this also a big NO NO?

Being fairly new to CF I really don't know what the restrictions are regarding things like this. And it would be nice to know. If these kinds of things are frowned upon by the Immortals then I will probably have to spend less time playing to avoid family conflicts.
Actually I should probably do that anyway.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

nepentheThu 13-Mar-03 07:07 PM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#388, "RE: Getting across an OOC point IC is there a good way ..."
In response to Reply #0

>But a lot of times I'll get a gt from that leader asking how
>close I am to my next title, so they can determine whether
>continuing to play for a few minutes will benefit their group
>or not. Sometimes I simply say that I am very close.

Speaking in generalities like that doesn't really bug me. It also doesn't seem unrealistic to me that your character would know if s/he had just been promoted or if it had been a while and they might be able to impress the guildmaster (or whatever) sufficiently soon.

That's a far cry from: I'm going to advance as soon as we kill 3 more trollocs, or: I would need to kill 438 kobolds to get a level.

Even: I think I might advance on our next foray into Shadar Logoth isn't that bad in my opinion.

>And what about those times when you are in the middle of a
>battle and something happens to you as a player pulling you
>away from your computer immediately? Many of us have families,
>husbands, children that literally DEMAND our attention
>sometimes and I have found myself getting in arguments with my
>husband on occasions because I can't just drop connection and
>leave the game when he wants me to. I usually tell my group in
>that situation that my mind is wandering...meaning I am afk.
>Is this also a big NO NO?

Something along those lines as character appropriate (you might be meditating, whatever) is probably fine.

Ultimately, CF is a game, and at times things outside that came can't help but intrude on it. Due to its competitive nature, you take certain risks (such as being killed) while being afk, etc. and that's just something you have to live with. Still, as long as you make a real RP effort not to break the suspension of disbelief for other players, you probably aren't going to have a problem from the staff.

XandryaThu 13-Mar-03 07:17 PM
35 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#389, "Thanks this helps a lot"
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Thu 13-Mar-03 07:17 PM

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #385 Previous topic | Next topic