Subject: "Wither and aging" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #37604
Show all folders

MurphyTue 12-Apr-11 09:48 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37604, "Wither and aging"

When wither lands aging effect, does it add to your current age, or reduce the maximum?
Are the effects proportional to your lifespan, or do short-lived races suffer more?
How do you know if you have been aged by wither?
I heard there is an edge that gets back years lost to withering. If it is true, how is it called?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Wither and aging, Daevryn, 12-Apr-11 12:32 PM, #1
     Reply A possibility re the edge, incognito, 12-Apr-11 02:51 PM, #2
     Reply RE: Wither and aging, Isildur, 12-Apr-11 03:18 PM, #3
     Reply The problem being..., Daevryn, 12-Apr-11 04:19 PM, #5
          Reply Does level difference affect it?, Marcus_, 12-Apr-11 05:59 PM, #6
     Reply What's the purpose of it taking age?, MoetEtChandon, 12-Apr-11 03:59 PM, #4
     Reply Question for Nep. , TMNS, 12-Apr-11 10:57 PM, #7
          Reply RE: Question for Nep. , Daevryn, 13-Apr-11 06:04 PM, #8
               Reply Ohhhh...the plot thickens! nt, Gaplemo, 13-Apr-11 02:55 PM, #9
               Reply Question re: wither, Artificial, 13-Apr-11 06:14 PM, #10
               Reply Not hours, years. It varies from race to race., TMNS, 13-Apr-11 07:01 PM, #11
                    Reply I totally read what daev said backwards. How many hour..., Artificial, 13-Apr-11 08:26 PM, #12
               Reply Give me a registration code and I'd love to., Tsunami, 13-Apr-11 10:04 PM, #13
               Reply RE: Question for Nep. , Nreykre, 13-Apr-11 10:54 PM, #14
                    Reply The whole paragraph there is wrong, isn't it?, Murphy, 13-Apr-11 11:12 PM, #15
                    Reply Why not update the helpfiles too? More people would see..., ibuki, 14-Apr-11 03:12 PM, #16
                         Reply 100% agree, Lokain, 14-Apr-11 03:56 PM, #17
                         Reply RE: Why not update the helpfiles too? More people would..., Daevryn, 14-Apr-11 04:26 PM, #18
                              Reply I like them too, Valkenar, 15-Apr-11 07:22 PM, #19

DaevrynTue 12-Apr-11 12:32 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37605, "RE: Wither and aging"
In response to Reply #0

>When wither lands aging effect, does it add to your current
>age, or reduce the maximum?

The latter.

>Are the effects proportional to your lifespan, or do
>short-lived races suffer more?

The latter. Specifically, it's always a certain range of number of years, regardless of whether your race lives to be 60 or 600.

>How do you know if you have been aged by wither?

You get a different echo about it ripping years from your life. It might even be colored a scary red, I can't remember for sure offhand.

>I heard there is an edge that gets back years lost to
>withering. If it is true, how is it called?

Not that I'm aware of.

incognitoTue 12-Apr-11 02:51 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37607, "A possibility re the edge"
In response to Reply #1

There's an edge that gives wither the possibility of reducing dex and removes the possibility of it reducing lifespan.

Could that be what he/you heard about?

IsildurTue 12-Apr-11 03:18 PM
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37608, "RE: Wither and aging"
In response to Reply #1

This makes me want to hero an evil uncaballed shaman, then just use him to wither-spam whichever heros I don't like.

DaevrynTue 12-Apr-11 04:19 PM
11117 posts
#37610, "The problem being..."
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Tue 12-Apr-11 04:19 PM

You need them to seriously neglect their saves for it to even be possible, and in that case you probably can just run them out of con the old fashioned way.

I've been withered hundreds if not thousands of times across many characters over the years, and I don't think I've ever been aged by wither.

P.S. I know you're jonesing for a second run at Daevryn shaman.

Marcus_Tue 12-Apr-11 05:59 PM
681 posts
#37611, "Does level difference affect it?"
In response to Reply #5

I typically never get aged by wither, but my thief got hit in 3 out of 5 attempts, with saves being Protected, Protected, Heavily protected.. (this was before we could see exact svs).. However he was level sitting at 47, and being withered by heroes.. could that be the reason?

MoetEtChandonTue 12-Apr-11 03:59 PM
Member since 26th Jul 2010
293 posts
#37609, "What's the purpose of it taking age?"
In response to Reply #1

Not entirely sure I like that idea. Sounds like a serious fun spoiler, if you meet a lot of Shamans, and plan to go all the way.

TMNSTue 12-Apr-11 10:57 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#37615, "Question for Nep. "
In response to Reply #1

Does Renewal help at all with aging due to wither?

I know it helps constitution (like +5 con if I remember) and with Thrakazhaar I seemed to make saves like my constitution was higher after I took it and heal better.

DaevrynWed 13-Apr-11 07:43 AM
11117 posts
#37622, "RE: Question for Nep. "
In response to Reply #7
Edited on Wed 13-Apr-11 06:04 PM

>Does Renewal help at all with aging due to wither?

I forget the exact specifics, but I remember that Renewal does a lot to help with wither in general (i.e., including strength loss and maybe even damage).

Edit: I looked up the specifics and it's both damage on wither and the stat loss, including -DEX from Languor of Aeons, if relevant. (In general with Wither, how much STR you lose determines how likely you are to lose years, or if you even can lose years, so indirectly it's a huge help with that too.)

Somebody should start adding this stuff with citations/links to the wiki as I spew it forth.

GaplemoWed 13-Apr-11 02:55 PM
Member since 06th May 2010
618 posts
#37626, "Ohhhh...the plot thickens! nt"
In response to Reply #8

nt

ArtificialWed 13-Apr-11 06:14 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
#37627, "Question re: wither"
In response to Reply #8

How many hours is one likely to lose, on average, when they lose years?

TMNSWed 13-Apr-11 07:01 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#37628, "Not hours, years. It varies from race to race."
In response to Reply #10

Poor Orb had an arial leader char age die in like 150 hrs

Obviously what I am getting at is longer lived races are hurt less by it (elves, gnomes, etc) and shorter lived races are hurt more by it (humans, arials).

ArtificialWed 13-Apr-11 08:26 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
#37629, "I totally read what daev said backwards. How many hour..."
In response to Reply #11

nt

TsunamiWed 13-Apr-11 10:04 PM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
#37630, "Give me a registration code and I'd love to."
In response to Reply #8

I'll work on the wiki tons.

NreykreWed 13-Apr-11 10:54 PM
Member since 05th Apr 2011
90 posts
#37631, "RE: Question for Nep. "
In response to Reply #8

I've added this to the Warrior Legacy section of the official wiki (http://www.carrionfields.net/CFwiki/WarriorLegacy), as well as gone through a few pages of the Gameplay forum and made some changes to the wiki based on topics related to edges and legacies.

I'll try to round up all the "Nep/Daev clarified Xyz" posts every once in a while and incorporate them to the wiki with citations linking back to the original forum posts.

MurphyWed 13-Apr-11 11:12 PM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37632, "The whole paragraph there is wrong, isn't it?"
In response to Reply #14

It was stated several times recently, and even in this very thread, that renewal does not give any leader-like benefits. It just gives you back 5 con and makes you save vs. poison/disease/whatever as if you had max con (or maybe even higher).

Would really like someone to confirm it here so you could put the right info to the wiki.

ibukiThu 14-Apr-11 03:12 PM
Member since 30th Oct 2005
122 posts
Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37635, "Why not update the helpfiles too? More people would see..."
In response to Reply #14

~

LokainThu 14-Apr-11 03:56 PM
Member since 03rd Jul 2009
173 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#37636, "100% agree"
In response to Reply #16

I know it's probably a bigger task than I think it is, but with the way the game is right now, I think there should be a lot less mystery in the legacy helpfiles.

DaevrynThu 14-Apr-11 04:26 PM
11117 posts
#37637, "RE: Why not update the helpfiles too? More people would..."
In response to Reply #16

That makes a certain amount of sense, but I really like our foofy legacy helpfiles.

ValkenarFri 15-Apr-11 07:22 PM
1203 posts
#37645, "I like them too"
In response to Reply #18

>That makes a certain amount of sense, but I really like our
>foofy legacy helpfiles.

But you could just put the serious stuff under the foofy stuff.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #37604 Previous topic | Next topic