Subject: "Double XP day" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #36854
Show all folders

AsthissMon 10-Jan-11 08:56 PM
Member since 26th Oct 2004
191 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#36854, "Double XP day"

I don't want this post to be read as a gref. I love everything you do with this game and I'm most grateful that you all do it.

But double xp day. It's great. I was really happy about it because for the first time I was going to be able to play during it. (missed all others).

I read you are ill Zulg and that is why it started late. I have no issue with that part but what I'm wondering is why it didn't run for 24hours? As it was now only the US (or people that don't sleep) got to play it. I was playing for 10 hours then I had to log off that day. None of that was during double exp. I thought dang, well I'll get it tomorrow then. But waking up on Sunday I log on to see it ended. Made me a bit sad.

So again. Love everything you do and I know double exp days are just you guys being good to us all. But when you announce it like that, couldn't we have it running for 24hours so that all time zones gets the same amount?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Double XP day, Zulghinlour, 10-Jan-11 08:44 PM, #8
Reply Hey dude., Marin, 10-Jan-11 10:40 PM, #10
Reply I just want to say thanks to the Imms for doing that, Hopelessdwarf, 10-Jan-11 12:19 AM, #1
     Reply RE: I just want to say thanks to the Imms for doing tha..., Asthiss, 10-Jan-11 02:50 AM, #2
     Reply I think it's perfectly alright for him to comment.., Thinhallen, 10-Jan-11 05:57 AM, #3
     Reply A little anecdote about human nature, Homard, 10-Jan-11 01:24 AM, #9
          Reply Interesting and unsurprising. Thanks for sharing. nt, Stunna, 10-Jan-11 10:51 AM, #4
          Reply Have you ever grouped with a gazelle or mustang?, Quixotic, 10-Jan-11 02:40 PM, #5
               Reply The shifter forms?, Homard, 10-Jan-11 05:04 PM, #6
                    Reply It was quite a few characters ago, Quixotic, 10-Jan-11 06:07 PM, #7
                    Reply They had run, DurNominator, 11-Jan-11 01:09 AM, #11

ZulghinlourMon 10-Jan-11 08:44 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#36873, "RE: Double XP day"
In response to Reply #0

>I read you are ill Zulg and that is why it started late. I
>have no issue with that part but what I'm wondering is why it
>didn't run for 24hours?

Currently it isn't automated. I have to manually start and stop it (hence it starts when I get up and stops when I go to bed).

>As it was now only the US (or people
>that don't sleep) got to play it. I was playing for 10 hours
>then I had to log off that day. None of that was during double
>exp. I thought dang, well I'll get it tomorrow then. But
>waking up on Sunday I log on to see it ended. Made me a bit
>sad.

Honeslty, I optimize for when the majority of our players are online (take a look at the users graph) which starts growing around 10 a.m. system time, and drops around 1 a.m. system time.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

MarinMon 10-Jan-11 10:40 PM
Member since 17th Apr 2010
86 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#36875, "Hey dude."
In response to Reply #8

Maybe a random weekday in the future? Something for us non-weekenders?

HopelessdwarfMon 10-Jan-11 12:17 AM
Member since 15th Feb 2004
272 posts
#36861, "I just want to say thanks to the Imms for doing that"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Mon 10-Jan-11 12:19 AM

I couldn't believe the level of complaining I saw on the newbie channel about how it hadn't started, or where is zulgh, or once it finally happened some jackass said "finally". Seriously people, deal with it.

If an Imm wants to do something special and it doesn't pan out. Don't complain. I know you are trying to play it off as cool with the "I love everything you do" yet you start the next sentence off with "But". To me its the same as saying "I'm not trying to offend you but your <insert family member> is a moron". Just deal with it.

AsthissMon 10-Jan-11 02:50 AM
Member since 26th Oct 2004
191 posts
#36863, "RE: I just want to say thanks to the Imms for doing tha..."
In response to Reply #1

I actually thought long and hard about if I should post or not. Because Its so hard to post something on forums and not making people think that you are complaining. That is why I started of the post by saying I love everything they do.

Do I like playing this game? Yes

Will I keep playing this game? Yes

I just wanted to up the fact that by not letting it run for 24hr it becomes a problem for us people not living in the US. If the response is we thought about that but have no good way of doing it or something like that I'll be fine with it. I just wanted to raise the issue in case they didn't think about it.

I was hoping this wouldn't turn into a forum bashing session but since the first to responses are going that way I'm fine if a Imm will lock or delete this thread.

ThinhallenMon 10-Jan-11 05:57 AM
Member since 25th Jun 2006
52 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#36864, "I think it's perfectly alright for him to comment.."
In response to Reply #1

..I'm sure some people bitched on the newbie channel, but I think this note was fine. People get excited for double xp day. The whole point of double xp day was to do something cool as well as draw more players back to the game and if they didn't get to partake in it, it's kind of a bummer. I'm sure the next time around Zulg could possibly think about letting people know the exact times from when it would start to end and just put an automated timer to start it and end it. He didn't say anything negative whatsoever, he just said he was bummed and was hoping that next time, it could benefit everyone across the world instead of having people in some areas having to play at 6am.

-thinnie

HomardMon 10-Jan-11 08:56 PM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
#36862, "A little anecdote about human nature"
In response to Reply #1

When I was in high-school I worked at an ice-cream shop in a small town in Connecticut. It was a lovely little shop with loyal and likable customer base. During the summer the lines would often be out the door, but there was never any trouble. People were polite, pleasant, and all too happy to pay a rather steep price for excellent high quality ice-cream.

Once a year, though, on Memorial Day, there were "Sidewalk Sales." The street would be closed to traffic and all the shops on Main Street would bring things outside and a band would play and there was cotton candy and all the crap that goes with living in a small New England town.

We'd bring out an old-fashioned ice-cream cart and (this is the important part) give away ice-cream. One scoop per customer, for free. Your choice of four different flavors, retail value $2.75 (I think, this was in the early 90's).

And what would happen?

A customer base that was usually polite would turn into animals. They'd complain about the wait, complain about "only one scoop?", try to take more than what we gave them, bark at us, bitch, moan, shove each other, cut in line, and act like complete assholes.

I have never forgotten this, but I have never been able to figure out where the sense of entitlement for something that it was our idea to give to them (asking nothing in return) came from.

Whether it's Double XP or free ice-cream, try to remember that it's a gift. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

btw, when are there gonna be horses? It sucks that there's no horses. This awesome free game really sucks without horses.

StunnaMon 10-Jan-11 10:51 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1048 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#36865, "Interesting and unsurprising. Thanks for sharing. nt"
In response to Reply #9

nt

QuixoticMon 10-Jan-11 02:40 PM
Member since 09th Feb 2006
834 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#36869, "Have you ever grouped with a gazelle or mustang?"
In response to Reply #9

Talk about a swift ride.

HomardMon 10-Jan-11 05:04 PM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
#36871, "The shifter forms?"
In response to Reply #5

I don't group with filthy mages.

Do they have pathfinding or something?

QuixoticMon 10-Jan-11 06:07 PM
Member since 09th Feb 2006
834 posts
#36872, "It was quite a few characters ago"
In response to Reply #6

but imagine an outlander druid engine after punching the nitrous.

DurNominatorTue 11-Jan-11 01:09 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#36882, "They had run"
In response to Reply #6

The command would allow them to run ten rooms into one specified direction. It was much faster than moving normally. The rooms you ran past would always have descripions deactivated to avoid spam.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #36854 Previous topic | Next topic