Subject: "Are drow balanced?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #346
Show all folders

josiah (inactive user)Tue 11-Mar-03 01:25 AM
Charter member

I'd like to point out that I love drow, because of the roleplay. I also like elves, which is why I'm wondering why CF goes out of the way to make these two races suck ass!

*Metal vulnerabilities are brutal, only bash is worse then mithril.
*Intelligence is probably the least important stat in the game. High Intelligence is a convenience, not a deathly attribute.
*Perm sneak can be gained from an item, and a great deal of classes get sneak anyway... Not knockin perm sneak, it rules, just saying it's not a huge pro.
*Can't get 22 wisdom (even though half-drow can), check shaman.
*This race is made for a spellcasting class, yet, no spellcasting class benefits from high dex. So the high dex (in my opinion) is wasted.
*The exp penalty is terrible.

Compare drow shaman vs dwarf shaman. Can someone explain? If the imms want to keep the number of drow down, they have succeeded. Picking drow is like shooting yourself in the foot.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Well considering I have a drow shaman..., Zefarah, 15-Mar-03 10:21 AM, #16
Reply RE: Well considering I have a drow shaman..., Quislet, 15-Mar-03 05:54 PM, #17
Reply half-elf & half-drow do not get perma sneak, incognito, 15-Mar-03 07:33 PM, #18
Reply RE: Well considering I have a drow shaman..., Zefarah, 15-Mar-03 09:02 PM, #19
Reply This reminds me..., nepenthe, 16-Mar-03 05:21 AM, #20
Reply DROW DROW DROW!, Zepachu, 12-Mar-03 02:18 PM, #10
Reply The poem, Anal_Retentive, 12-Mar-03 08:36 PM, #13
     Reply RE: The poem, Zepachu, 12-Mar-03 10:32 PM, #14
          Reply RE: The poem, Evil Genius (Anonymous), 13-Mar-03 08:19 PM, #15
Reply Don't take this the wrong way:, nepenthe, 11-Mar-03 09:03 AM, #5
Reply Next time I'm wanting for some abuse., josiah (Anonymous), 12-Mar-03 02:22 AM, #6
     Reply We all are...., Vladamir, 12-Mar-03 04:59 AM, #7
          Reply RE: We all are...., Quislet, 12-Mar-03 06:49 AM, #8
Reply How strange you should claim that, Yanoreth, 11-Mar-03 01:45 AM, #2
Reply Deleted message, josiah (Anonymous), 11-Mar-03 02:34 AM, #3
     Reply RE: Deleted message, Valguarnera, 11-Mar-03 02:36 AM, #4
Reply RE: Are drow balanced?, Valguarnera, 11-Mar-03 01:41 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Are drow balanced?, Jhyrbian, 12-Mar-03 01:56 PM, #9
          Reply RE: Are dark-elves balanced?, Valguarnera, 12-Mar-03 06:00 PM, #11
               Reply RE: Are dark-elves balanced?, Jhyrbian, 12-Mar-03 06:50 PM, #12

ZefarahSat 15-Mar-03 10:21 AM
Member since 15th Mar 2003
20 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#409, "Well considering I have a drow shaman..."
In response to Reply #0

>I'd like to point out that I love drow, because of the
>roleplay. I also like elves, which is why I'm wondering why CF
>goes out of the way to make these two races suck ass!

I guarantee I'm the worst player here, but I think I've found something suprisingly workable with my drow shaman. She has a fun role, and she even kills people, believe it or not.

>*Metal vulnerabilities are brutal, only bash is worse then
>mithril.

Protections really help, and you often can make people drop the weapon. I've never found mithril vulnerability to be insurmountable.

>*Intelligence is probably the least important stat in the
>game. High Intelligence is a convenience, not a deathly
>attribute.

I'm fairly certain it can mean the difference between life and death. Then again, I'm not completely informed about mechanics.

>*Perm sneak can be gained from an item, and a great deal of
>classes get sneak anyway... Not knockin perm sneak, it rules,
>just saying it's not a huge pro.

It is a huge pro, and that's probably why they want 500 exp for it.

>*Can't get 22 wisdom (even though half-drow can), check
>shaman.

Elves can learn 3 skills completely each rank. Do half-breeds?

>*This race is made for a spellcasting class, yet, no
>spellcasting class benefits from high dex. So the high dex (in
>my opinion) is wasted.

Shaman frequently fight, so I am assuming the dexterity helps. My drow has chopped people up many of times - even with a polearm, 1 on 1. More importantly, parrying and shield blocking are improved with drow. Also, you can carry a lot more trinkets.

>*The exp penalty is terrible.

Terrible, but I've had no problems ranking her at all. For such a frail creature, many of the scions, orcs and fire giants still depended on her to take blows. I would even think drow are better at it than dwarves, since they have more mana to heal, and get hit much less.

You could look at the penalties, thinking the IMMs simply hate elf/drow. But maybe it's a respect for the race that most of us don't yet appreciate. I still think Storm Giants get too much love, but guiltily, my crappy drow has killed them.

>Compare drow shaman vs dwarf shaman. Can someone explain? If
>the imms want to keep the number of drow down, they have
>succeeded. Picking drow is like shooting yourself in the
>foot.

She's never faced dwarves but she's had more success against storm giant shaman than they against her. This shouldn't happen at all if drow shaman are as inferior as you are saying.

I'd still bet my yen on drow over dwarf shaman, if the players are equally skilled. You want to get the first strike if you can, and drow are better at it because of the sneaking.

I haven't had any problems in the least, and I'm fairly incompetent at CF. I don't think it takes any skill to kill people with a drow shaman, because I've done it. I also have logs if you are curious.

QuisletSat 15-Mar-03 05:54 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
240 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#410, "RE: Well considering I have a drow shaman..."
In response to Reply #16

>>*Perm sneak can be gained from an item, and a great deal of
>>classes get sneak anyway... Not knockin perm sneak, it rules,
>>just saying it's not a huge pro.
>
>It is a huge pro, and that's probably why they want 500 exp
>for it.

I thought they only wanted 100 exp for that part, as the halfs get it. Or maybe they're just giving them a discount to encourage more people to play the halfs.

I feel no need to comment on anything else you said, as it was all well thought out and well reasoned. I only picked that part to try and defuse negative comments on it before they started.

--Quislet,
who'd play more drow if he could get a better handle on evil RP.

incognitoSat 15-Mar-03 07:33 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#411, "half-elf & half-drow do not get perma sneak"
In response to Reply #17

They get quiet movement, which while useful, is vastly inferior to permasneak.

ZefarahSat 15-Mar-03 09:02 PM
Member since 15th Mar 2003
20 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#412, "RE: Well considering I have a drow shaman..."
In response to Reply #17

>I thought they only wanted 100 exp for that part, as the halfs
>get it. Or maybe they're just giving them a discount to
>encourage more people to play the halfs.

I think it's different. If you make half-breeds pink, you can see which way they went. But if you make elves/drow pink, they still sneak. Not that it matters, since I can never manage to chase people down, anyhow.

>I feel no need to comment on anything else you said, as it was
>all well thought out and well reasoned. I only picked that
>part to try and defuse negative comments on it before they
>started.

Nice of you to look out for me.

>--Quislet,
>who'd play more drow if he could get a better handle on evil
>RP.

Well I doubt anyone truly understands evil. There are so many facets to it, and that's why I like exploring it. You only need a quick overview of the drow mentality, and from there you can add your own flair. There are many conceptual approaches you can take and I'd be happy to suggest a few or talk about them with you.

nepentheSun 16-Mar-03 05:21 AM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#413, "This reminds me..."
In response to Reply #16

This isn't an attempt to refute the above post, but it reminded me of a point I've been meaning to make.

>I'd still bet my yen on drow over dwarf shaman, if the players
>are equally skilled.

If a dark-elf shaman and a dwarf shaman were facing off in some kind of Thunderdome-esque two-man-enta-one-man-leave steel cage match, I might well bet on the dwarf shaman. Both characters have unique strengths, but I can make a pretty compelling argument that the dwarf's might well prove better in a shaman vs. shaman duel.

However, there are many other fights and situations in which I would bet that a dark-elf shaman would perform better than a dwarf shaman.

There's a popular misconception (not shared by everyone, I'm glad to note) that if character A tends to beat B, then A must be better than B. If B can wipe the floor with X, Y, and Z and A has a hard time with X and Y, that might not be the case.

ZepachuWed 12-Mar-03 02:18 PM
223 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#374, "DROW DROW DROW!"
In response to Reply #0

I love DROW... as most anyone can tell you!!!

:-D

The simple fact is, I've played CF since '94 and the Imms have done a FANTASTIC job balancing it all, race, class, whatever.

It's my opinion that the biggest factor over whether or not you think a race is good is whether or not you can play that race.

For example, a felar assassin can tear up most anyone at certain ranks with little effort from the player... as you gain ranks, you need to start using some strategy, and something other than "throw throw throw" or "trip trip trip"... (*remembers a poem from awhile back*) Whether or not you as the player can employ said tactics will determine whether or not you think the class 'sucks'...

Remember, just because you don't know how to use a race to its fullest potential, doesn't mean the race sucks.

I'm not saying you suck as a player, I'm just saying maybe a Drow isn't for you. They take more patience than the average race (at least in the beginning) and you need to have a better-than-average ability to flee/avoid combat, but in the end, there is a reason they have a 500exp penalty and it pays off.

Anal_RetentiveWed 12-Mar-03 08:36 PM
52 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#379, "The poem"
In response to Reply #10

Went something like this

Ode to Tikar

Roses are bash
violets are trip
bash bash bash
trip trip trip

I think it was removed for obvious reasons
but I still thought it was funny.

ZepachuWed 12-Mar-03 10:32 PM
223 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#380, "RE: The poem"
In response to Reply #13

It was hilarious, but I think it was...

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Bash Bash Bash,
Trip Trip Trip.

hahaha

Evil Genius (inactive user)Thu 13-Mar-03 08:19 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #14

Roses are trip
Violets are bash
trip, trip, trip
bash, bash, bash

nepentheTue 11-Mar-03 09:03 AM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#361, "Don't take this the wrong way:"
In response to Reply #0

I don't know if you've played CF for five days or five years. It doesn't really matter. It's clear that you do not understand the dynamics of the game well enough yet to make intelligent comments about its balance.

Play a fire giant anti-paladin for a week. You might think it's better than d-elf a-p; maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I can't see any reason to say: dark elves may not be anti-paladins, but that doesn't mean they're going to be the 'best' at it, either. No one is going to hold a gun to your head and force you to play a dark elf if you think they suck.

If after a week of fire a-p you still have no idea about why a dark-elf has some noteworthy advantages over it (regardless of whether you think those advantages are persuasive enough to play d-elf) you may want to take up a different game, such as checkers.

josiah (inactive user)Wed 12-Mar-03 02:22 AM
Charter member
#370, "Next time I'm wanting for some abuse."
In response to Reply #5

I'll post a message on this board. =)

hehe
You guys are brutal.

VladamirWed 12-Mar-03 04:59 AM
1179 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#371, "We all are...."
In response to Reply #6

It's just SOME of us get our less than warm and fuzzy posts removed, whereas others do not.

QuisletWed 12-Mar-03 06:49 AM
240 posts
#372, "RE: We all are...."
In response to Reply #7

>It's just SOME of us get our less than warm and fuzzy posts removed,
>whereas others do not.

My harsh stuff seems to stick around. Maybe it's my lack of swearing, or my occasional apology, or that I don't usually make personal attacks, or maybe just someone likes me. I think I was an ass when it came to posts to Sebeok about thief skills, but it's still there.

No, I'm not saying any of that is why your stuff gets removed, all I know is that I didn't do it. What I am saying is for anyone who wants to write something harsh: keeping it civil greatly increases the chances of people being able to read it.

--Quislet

YanorethTue 11-Mar-03 01:44 AM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
896 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#350, "How strange you should claim that"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Tue 11-Mar-03 01:45 AM

It is much like the contrast between the poll of "strongest" classes and "most fun" classes. If there were no trade-offs to playing a drow, they would indeed not be balanced.

josiah (inactive user)Tue 11-Mar-03 02:24 AM
Charter member
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Tue 11-Mar-03 02:34 AM

No message

ValguarneraTue 11-Mar-03 02:36 AM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#356, "RE: Deleted message"
In response to Reply #3

1) We're aware of the quantitative factors.
2) There's a reason we don't have them posted on the website.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

ValguarneraTue 11-Mar-03 01:41 AM
6904 posts
#349, "RE: Are drow balanced?"
In response to Reply #0

I'd like to point out that I love drow, because of the roleplay. I also like elves, which is why I'm wondering why CF goes out of the way to make these two races suck ass!

Because they don't?

They're consistently both among our 5 or 6 most popular races.

JhyrbianWed 12-Mar-03 01:56 PM
917 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#373, "RE: Are drow balanced?"
In response to Reply #1

:Uh.Because they don't?

:They're consistently both among our 5 or 6 most popular races.

I guarantee drow aps/assassins are popular among first time players as well. (Doesn't mean they're comparable to the alternatives)

The fact is the 'idea' of the race is popular but the mechanics of them compared to the other races completely blow.

Cheers.
Jhyrbian.

ValguarneraWed 12-Mar-03 06:00 PM
6904 posts
#375, "RE: Are dark-elves balanced?"
In response to Reply #9

The fact is the 'idea' of the race is popular but the mechanics of them compared to the other races completely blow.

I don't think that's accurate either. It might have been a few years ago, but they've gained from a number of recent changes, especially when we revised mana gains about a year ago. They're a very solid pick for at least three of their classes (invoker, healer, transmuter), and decent angles for several others.

I think a dark-elf shaman would play very differently than a dwarf shaman, but there's a lot to be said for a deep mana pool, fast regen, and sneak. It might not be enough to offset the resilience of a dwarf, but that might depend on player style.

As fighting classes, they stack up well against magi/communers in general- mithril isn't a big concern there, especially given their dodge/etc, and they don't have elemental vulnerabilities that an invoker/conjurer/etc. can punish them with. And being smart never hurts- a lot of players underestimate the value of mental stats.

I haven't seen too much of how they play out as APs since the (rather significant) changes went in recently, but the gap between duergar/fire APs and the rest of that pack closed as well. I wouldn't say they're my top choice, but they aren't my bottom one either. Another immortal approached me recently to discuss the possibility that they might even be too good in a certain level range, but we're taking a wait-and-see approach there.

I admit a year ago I would have been singing a different tune. But I've seen a lot more, especially through some tough dark-elf characters that played to their strengths.

JhyrbianWed 12-Mar-03 06:50 PM
917 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#376, "RE: Are dark-elves balanced?"
In response to Reply #11

::I don't think that's accurate either. It might have been a few years ago, but they've gained from a number of recent changes, especially when we revised mana gains about a year ago. They're a very solid pick for at least three of their classes (invoker, healer, transmuter), and decent angles for several others.

Nice picks for the three classes. Two of which have class enabled dam-reduction and the other a class that doesn't often stand toe to toe with people without wands comming out the ying yang.

::As fighting classes, they stack up well against magi/communers in general- mithril isn't a big concern there, especially given their dodge/etc, and they don't have elemental vulnerabilities that an invoker/conjurer/etc. can punish them with. And being smart never hurts- a lot of players underestimate the value of mental stats.

Yeah, but mithril weapons are a dime a dozen and it's not the dodging people are complaining about, because that's just fine and dandy. But when's the last time you saw someone dodge a backstab, ambush, pincer, flurry, jab, doublethrust, etc. Sure being smart helps but it just seems to me that with drow warriorish classes being smart is on par with being forced to avoid(ie: hide like a bitch from) alot of things.

::I haven't seen too much of how they play out as APs since the (rather significant) changes went in recently, but the gap between duergar/fire APs and the rest of that pack closed as well. I wouldn't say they're my top choice, but they aren't my bottom one either. Another immortal approached me recently to discuss the possibility that they might even be too good in a certain level range, but we're taking a wait-and-see approach there.

No idea on that one, i tend to avoid classes that require hours of prep searching.

::I admit a year ago I would have been singing a different tune. But I've seen a lot more, especially through some tough dark-elf characters that played to their strengths.

I don't know any of these tough dark-elf characters you're talking about. So we'll leave it at that.

Cheers.

Jhyrbian.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #346 Previous topic | Next topic